Ethernet filters: Waversa EXT-2 vs Muon Pro (and some cable comparison)

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
After less than a month of testing, I finally came to a conclusion. Let's start from the beginning. Being down the rabbit hole of network improvements in my system, I had the opportunity to evaluate the impact of two passive filters in the chain: the new Waversa EXT-2 and the already popular Muon Pro from Network Acoustics (let me thank Rob for his usual kindness).

1 - WITH OR WITHOUT A SWITCH?
Before the simple comparison between the two filters, I wanted to better understand the role that my Innuos PhoenixNET plays in the system, so I removed it and tried to use only the Muon Pro.

A) Router > Sablon > Muon Pro > Statement
It sucks life out of the music. The magic is gone, no realism in voices. Less separation and lack of body.

B) Router > Pink Faun > Muon Pro > Statement
More open and realistic, but I'm still missing PNET in the path. The soundstage is narrower and lacks depth. Better than the Sablon but the magic is no longer here.

C) Router > Muon Pro Streaming Cable > Muon Pro > Statement
In this case I connected the Muon Streaming cable to the router's Gigabit port, thanks to the intrinsic design of the Muon system which should work best this way.

The sound pops up, it also seems like the volume has turned up. The image thus becomes clean and three-dimensional with a notable increase in depth. More reverbs appear along with improved dynamic range. The bass is now more defined and the sound is dense and structured. That said, I still miss something in the mids and liveliness, listening to guitar strings or vocals, for example. To a lesser extent, liquidity also does not seem as convincing as before. Definitely an improvement in sound quality in all areas but not as realistic and immersive as before, when using PhoenixNET.

Using both Muon filter and cable (also known as Muon System) without PhoenixNET the difference is less marked, it means the sound is really clean and I can see an improvement in all areas, bass, treble, separation and greater coherence in general. Presence is improved and realism too, compared to using the Muon Pro with other cables and without the Innuos switch. That said, PhoenixNET brings more life and naturalness than any other combination I've tried, so it's a keeper in my system. This is especially evident when listening to acoustic performances or live concerts where the guitar strings, the clapping of the crowd's hands and the reverberation of the voices in the room appear more realistic, vivid and engaging.

With the PNET in the chain, the magic is back, airy and immersive, beautiful holographic image and therefore the representation feels real. The “being there” effect is back and it is very pleasant. Without the PNET it's like watching music behind a clean window, with the PNET you have the perception of being exactly where the music is playing, right now and right there.

W/PNETW/O PNET
White noise/Hum88
Background88
Naturalness98
Image precision99
Soundstage depth98
Soundstage width89
Separation99
Voice109
Hights88
Bass88
Presence98
Transient89
Clarity99
Airy98
Detail99
Unveil99
Realism109
Calm88
Control88
Engagement98

2 - FILTER VS FILTER
IMG_0943.jpeg
A) MUON PRO
Router > Sablon > PhoenixNET > Pink Faun > Muon Pro > Statement
From the very first hours I added the Muon Pro to the chain, I immediately perceived its qualities but I also had some doubts. I had the sensation of a sound with less body and less liquid. Quite dry though in a pleasant way. Maybe the sound a little thin in general.
For the rest, the musical reproduction is more natural and realistic, improved air around the instruments, beautiful and very realistic voices. Very fast and never sharp or too hard.
I subsequently found a significant improvement after the first 30 hours of playback, the sound opened up to a higher level and the realism was even more intense than before. The live performances became so immersive, the strings seemed to be plucked right in front of me and the voices were vibrant, palpable, natural. With my eyes closed I really had the feeling of "being there" in the crowd. After over 100 hours of running-in the music began to appear more liquid, clear but full-bodied and refined with such rounded bass.
What surprised me the most was the perception of the environment and the way the sound began to breathe beautifully.

IMG_0937.jpeg
B) WAVERSA EXT-2
Router > Sablon > PhoenixNET > Pink Faun > EXT-2 > Statement
I immediately felt an audible difference, an incredible silence and calm filled the room. The EXT-2 also brought a lot of detail, cleaning up the sound and improving instrument separation. To tell the truth, once I also listened to the Muon Pro, I understood that this result was achieved at the expense of naturalness. Comparing the two, I noticed that with the EXT-2 the sound is less organic and coherent, diminishing the “being here” effect of the soundstage, as if I were listening to something recorded and not played in front of me.
Wherever you put the EXT-2 it can influence the sound, upstream before the router and switch, downstream between the switch and the server/streamer, and, surprisingly, even by connecting it to an unused port on the router. Yes, it seems that the signal is cleaned as soon as it is connected to the router and without any other cables from its second port to the rest of the path, floating so to speak. Together with a blacker background, unfortunately it also brings a less natural, clear and detailed sound, but more digital, cold and analytical.

C) MUON PRO + EXT-2 TOGETHER
Router > Sablon+EXT2+Sablon > PhoenixNET > Pink Faun > Muon Pro > Statement
Just to get rid of the whim, I also experimented with using both filters together in the chain.
The background is truly black and a nice sense of control and sharpness is evident. The bass is rounded but the sound is less engaging because it seems to lack realism and convincing naturalness. More digital, so to speak. The vocals are less believable and flat, although very clean with lots of detail and wonderful instrument separation.

Conclusion
I could have easily lived with the EXT-2, at least until I heard the Muon Pro, which simply brings more life to the playback.
Both filters work well and improve the sound quality, however the Muon Pro is my favorite for its ability to sound more natural, lifelike and engaging in my system.

MUON PROW EXT-2
White noise/Hum88
Background89
Naturalness97
Image precision98
Soundstage depth98
Soundstage width88
Separation99
Voice108
Hights88
Bass88
Presence98
Transient88
Clarity99
Airy98
Detail99
Unveil98
Realism108
Calm88
Control89
Engagement98

3 - UPSTREAM VS DOWNSTREAM, WHERE THE FILTER SOUNDS BETTER?

Router > Sablon > Muon Pro > PhoenixNET > Pink Faun > Statement
In the end, at the suggestion of a forum member, I also tried to experiment with a different positioning of the Muon Pro filter, placing it upstream. The difference is subtle compared to its downstream positioning, but perceptible. This surprised me because according to the manufacturer's recommendations I would have expected the opposite. However I found a more marked improvement in the midrange area, the clarity and airiness improved and the vocals appeared really defined, vivid, palpable, natural. The sound is so clean and revealing, without artificial effects or excessive brightness. Never cold or analytical. The bass area is more or less the same, full-bodied and pleasant, perhaps a little less incisive. In this configuration it seems that the qualities of the Pink Faun cable play a more important role, being further down the chain, connected to the Statement.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
CABLES COMPARISON
------------------------------------

At the end of my tests I also collected the impressions obtained from a different use of the Ethernet cables at my disposal, which I summarize in the tables below.

It should be noted that I am waiting to receive the new Stealth model, called ULTRA. This will allow me to complete my observations on this specific topic.

Furthermore, the observations reported below refer to the positioning of the Muon pro downstream of the switch, which as I explained above is not my definitive configuration and therefore it could be useful to repeat the tests also in my latest configuration with the upstream filter. Maybe when I receive the new cable I will update these impressions.

A) Router > Sablon > PNET > Pink Faun > Muon Pro > Statement
B) Router > Pink Faun > PNET > Sablon > Muon Pro > Statement
C) Router > Muon Streaming > PNET > Pink Faun > Muon Pro > Statement
D) Router > Pink Faun > PNET > Muon Streaming > Muon Pro > Statement
E) Router > Sablon > PNET > Muon Streaming > Muon Pro > Statement

ABCDE
White noise/Hum88888
Background88988
Naturalness98898
Image precision99898
Soundstage depth98898
Soundstage width88888
Separation99898
Voice109898
Hights88888
Bass89989
Presence99898
Transient89989
Clarity99898
Airy99888
Detail99998
Unveil99888
Realism109898
Calm88999
Control88888
Engagement99898

Mark212121

May 23, 2022
Thank you for a thorough and interesting write-up/ review, Luca. Good luck with the new Stealth Ultra cable. I hope you will continue to share your experiences. I tried a Muon Pro system in my set-up, but could not justify the cost, although the Muon certainly did not have any negative effects on the sound. Any improvements in my system were subtle, so I left my system as it was. As an aside, though, I tried the Network Acoustics AES/EBU digital cable from my streamer to the DAC, and compared it against two Shunyata cables (the entry level and the next-one up). I found the Network Acoustics to have more body, and music flowed better, so I purchased it. I think Network Acoustics make some interesting and quality products, but as in all things, it is almost mandatory to try them in your system to see if they make a large enough difference to warrant purchase.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
Great effort and thanks for detailing your experience with these 2 ethernet cleaning devices. By any chance, did you listen without the network cable attached to your Statement to get a baseline? Without any cable attached, there wouldn't be any noise nor jitter - assuming the music data is already buffered in the Statement.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Great effort and thanks for detailing your experience with these 2 ethernet cleaning devices. By any chance, did you listen without the network cable attached to your Statement to get a baseline? Without any cable attached, there wouldn't be any noise nor jitter - assuming the music data is already buffered in the Statement.
Thanks, good idea. Honestly no, I didn’t because I stream only from Qobuz via Sense App, even if the test makes sense shouldn’t be useful in my usual configuration. My aim is the streaming improvement and I use to use an iPad as controller that needs to be always connected (wired not wifi).

Reactions: flkin

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Nice work you've put into this @luca.pelliccioli, very interesting - thank you! One thing I noticed, or maybe I misunderstood(?), is that you seem to always use the various ethernet cables before the Muon Pro? While Network Acoustic do encourage people to test and experiment themselves for best result, they actually suggest for Muon Pro to have a 1.5m ethernet cable (like their Streaming Cable) after the filter and directly into the streamer. Did you try this also?

Last edited:

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Thank you Voicesinmyhead.

Sorry for the confusion, here below some clarifications.

I did several tests. NA recommends using the Muon Pro downstream, as close as possible to the sever/streamer, plugging the short Muon Pro fixed cable to the server/streamer and using your best cable on the other end, to the switch in my case. See pic below from NA owner manual.
IMG_0941.jpeg
All of my cable comparisons mentioned above were performed using this setup recommendation.

I also tried the Muon Pro downstream but reversing the direction: the short fixed cable connected to the switch and my best cable connected to the server/streamer. The difference was subtle, but I preferred the recommended configuration.

In the end I also tried using the Muon Pro upstream, between the router and the switch, always with the short fixed cable connected to the switch. I've found that this setup works best in my system, to my ears, and I was surprised because it's really different from NA's recommendations.
Unfortunately I had already completed my chart at the time, so I decided to put off a new set of cable comparisons in that specific different configuration once my new Stealth ULTRA cable is here (delivery is expected in late November). I will be happy, as mentioned in my review, to repeat the cable comparisons and share my thoughts as soon as I receive the Stealth, this time configuring the new set up, using the Muon Pro upstream, which is my preferred way of use in absolute, sonically speaking.

Hope that helps.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
NA recommends using the Muon Pro downstream, as close as possible to the sever/streamer, plugging the short Muon Pro fixed cable to the server/streamer and using your best cable on the other end, to the switch in my case. See pic below from NA owner manual.

Interesting, I don't have my Muon Pro or instructions currently as I've lent it to a friend while I'm doing changes to my digital setup, but I'm pretty sure my instructions said the opposite to have the short cable to the switch and the longer ethernet cable to the streamer. Maybe i'm mistaken though as I can't verify right now, but maybe @Network Acoustics can clarify if the instructions actually changed?

the review at the-ear.net also suggest this way of connecting.

"I questioned the wisdom of placing what is effectively a 1.5m aerial after the filter. Surely it would be better to deploy the filter as close as possible to the streamer? Trussell noted the point. “It was the configuration we initially thought was correct. The instructions for the original ENO and Muon filters suggested exactly that, however some customers preferred it the other way round, putting the filter before the Streaming Cable. We tried it, and it did indeed sound a bit better in our systems. Therefore, for Muon Pro we suggest this way round for best results, but the Muon Pro Filter is not directional so people can experiment in their own systems for best results."

either way, I actually bought the Muon Pro while I was in the middle of changing my server/streamer and using a temporary setup and also testing some other options. normally I would say it's insane to buy a ethernet filter before the actual decision has been made on the new server/streamer, but I just couldn't see how I could end up not needing the Muon Pro in the end.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Thanks for your advice, yes I had already read the article.
This evening I will try again the setup you suggest so as to give you my definitive impression, stay tuned.
In the meantime, if you have a switch between your router and streamer, I encourage you to try the Muon Pro right there. I would really appreciate your feedback on this setup.

I think it's interesting to discuss different experiences, an opportunity for growth in general, even if different systems can generate different results in addition to the fact that tastes are obviously subjective. That is the reason why we all love this hobby.

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
When I decided to upgrade my streamer/server I figured I'd take a completely fresh approach to it and actually sold everything I had in the digital chain, including the Innuos PhoenixNET switch. This upgrade is still very much a work in progress so currently I can only play vinyl... ;) Trying a new switch is on the list of things to do once a new streamer/server is in place though. While I've been happy with the PhoenixNET I don't like that it's limited to 100Mbps, and maybe even more so now with the addition of Muon Pro, I'm therefore open to trying some alternatives within reasonable budget, but at the same time I also feel having Muon Pro in the chain makes searching for a new switch less urgent.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
You can consider the upcoming Tempus switch from NA, then. When the time arrives, of course. Unless you already have something else in mind.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
You can consider the upcoming Tempus switch from NA, then. When the time arrives, of course. Unless you already have something else in mind.

it's indeed very interesting and something I was looking forward to, but at £3995 it's a bit much to swallow at the moment I'm afraid.

Network Acoustics

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2022
UK
www.networkacoustics.com
Sorry to jump in again. Hopefully we can help clear up any confusion around which way the Muon Pro filter should be used for best sound quality.

The background on MUON Pro is that we originally designed it as a 'special order product' for our studio based customers, who required a filter with a 1Gb/s bandwidth, as well as being equally effective working in both directions.

In designing Muon Pro, we had to improve its noise rejecting capabilities due to 1Gb/s designs, with 8-cores, transferring more noise than the 4-core 100Mb/s designs used in our previous filters. The result was a more effective filter and streaming cable that could be connected and be equally effective in either configuration.

Shortly after Muon Pro's release we had a significant DAC upgrade in our main reference evaluation system. Listening again to the differences in the orientation of Muon Pro, resulted in a change of our opinion, one worthy of us recommending a change in direction for the best sound quality. That said we do remain of the opinion that, what works for one system may not work the same in another system. The enjoyable process of trying the different orientations and positions for the filter to see what sounds best in your system, and for your taste, is the best thing to do.

We hope this helps and thank you all for you comments here and big thank you to @luca.pelliccioli for taking the time to compose such thorough and interesting review of our products.

best wishes, NA

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
As promised I’ve just plugged back the Muon Pro downstream, with the short fixed cable to the switch and my Pink Faun cable to the server/streamer. It sounds nice, indeed. In the next days I’ll reverse the direction to find out which set up is better to my ears. At the moment I’m liking what I’m hearing, the differences (if there are any) are very subtle so give me more time before reaching a conclusion.

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
Do most Muon Pro owners prefer the Muon Ethernet cable used with the Pro filter, or is there a better value cable that sounds as good if not better?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing