I am sick of failing amplifiers

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello Atmasphere

How do you minimize weight?? Between the power and output transformers it seems like no matter what you do there is going to be some hefty weight compared to say a class d switching amp

TIA Rob:)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, my amps are not failing, as just not fully shining due to tubes noise I'm struggling to eliminate.

Last chance saloon...Bazelio has put me onto Brett Jesse of www.audiotubes.com, and he's put a little package of 6DJ8 tubes, 60s Mazdas and 70s Mullards telecommunications grade tubes, for my Nat Utopia pre.

Not cheap, but well worth it if they succeed.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
How do you minimize weight?? Between the power and output transformers it seems like no matter what you do there is going to be some hefty weight compared to say a class d switching amp
No output transformer and the larger transformers (there are 3 per chassis on most of our amps) are toroids. Because the amps are fully differential and balanced (One of the BAT founders was a customer of ours before they got started; we've been doing balanced operation longer than anyone else in high end audio at this point) they're pretty resistant to hum fields so we can use aluminum for our chassis work. So a 140 watt monoblock weighs only 44 pounds in the shipping box with all the tubes.

Of course I would expect a solid state amp of similar power to be less weight. In a nutshell that would probably eliminate one of the larger transformers as well as the smaller one. The class D stuff we've been working on won't be nearly as heavy...

Reactions: Robh3606

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Uh, try $2.00...

Our MA-1 amps (in the shipping box) weigh less than half of what those BATs weigh and make over twice the power. Tube amps don't have to be heavy, but they often are...

I always wanted one of your OTL amps.. i’ve been to Vegas several times at audio shows and heard them. Direct fast and clean sound. I like the fact that you are able to remove every other tube for less power and less heat when it’s not needed.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
The class D stuff we've been working on won't be nearly as heavy...

Seriously ? I had a pair of Bel Canto Ref 600 monos based on the hypex 400 module . They also used the matching Switching PS which was a first for BC.. their $30k Black line is based on that Hypex module.. Even Bruno Putzney said the hypex design sounds better than class D has a right to... I wasn’t feeling it.. but I had them paired with some Focals with those metal dome tweeters.. was too “revealing“, no... it was painfully bright..
Good luck with your lightweight amps..

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I wonder why I have kept the same gear for 30 and 40 years. When I build a 2nd or third system I buy the same amp and preamp. I have a new tech and he told me "Don't send me any crap,or you might get it right back". I asked him what about old Accuphase...his reply..it's the McIntosh of Japan,send it down.Tube gear can be a PITA,but you can't beat that warm glow in the winter.
King...now a days I would shudder to start in this hobby. I know where you are coming from...painful sometimes...like a tooth ache.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I asked him what about old Accuphase...his reply..it's the McIntosh of Japan
We just serviced out an Accuphase preamp made back in the 1970s. IMO it was overbuilt insofar as the signal circuitry was concerned, but had nice power supplies and everything plugged into edge connectors- very nice construction.

There's no reason tube amps can't be reliable, but in this day and age its pretty easy for anyone (education or not) to find information about tube circuits, and slap together an amp or preamp. The problem is that the schematic diagrams don't show you all the little tricks you need to do to make something work. Kingrex's amp that he sent us was lacking one of those 'little tricks' without which almost any tube circuit is going to exhibit some buzz.

Western Electric built line amplifiers which were powered remotely and intended to operate for a very long time- these were built into the intercontinental phone lines and they seemed to hold up- under the ocean... If you know what you are doing making a reliable tube amp isn't a problem.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, my amps are not failing, as just not fully shining due to tubes noise I'm struggling to eliminate.

Last chance saloon...Bazelio has put me onto Brett Jesse of www.audiotubes.com, and he's put a little package of 6DJ8 tubes, 60s Mazdas and 70s Mullards telecommunications grade tubes, for my Nat Utopia pre.

Not cheap, but well worth it if they succeed.
I have been buying from Brent for over 10 years now...great stuff. I actually have NOS tubes now I do not need having sold the CJ GAT 2. 6922/6DJ8. All from Brent. Go with his, and if you need more, let me know.

Reactions: RogerD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Lloyd, a $600 package is on to me. Thanks for the offer in future.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have been buying from Brent for over 10 years now...great stuff. I actually have NOS tubes now I do not need having sold the CJ GAT 2. 6922/6DJ8. All from Brent. Go with his, and if you need more, let me know.
Hi Lee.
In fact I just received my EL37's from Brent today, buying there for a long time too. I have my fingers crossed that this 1960 Crown amp goes without a hitch. A pair of Mullard 12at7's,Brimar tall 6sn7's and the EL37 tubes,plus Peerless iron...what's not to like. Now hoping the KingRex Jinx is done and gone.

Attachments

• IMG_6593.JPG
    IMG_6593.JPG
    670.8 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Kcin

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hey Kingrex, just received my Marantz 4400 back from a experienced long term tech. His letter stated...I put a lot of time into the unit, "everything works". But he said from now on your on your own...old and problematic,which is fine. But he packed the thing poorly and the 60 pound receiver moved around in shipment. So i'm screwed and have a right channel only paper weight...until the next time I feel like dealing with it. Damn....

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Hey Kingrex, just received my Marantz 4400 back from a experienced long term tech. His letter stated...I put a lot of time into the unit, "everything works". But he said from now on your on your own...old and problematic,which is fine. But he packed the thing poorly and the 60 pound receiver moved around in shipment. So i'm screwed and have a right channel only paper weight...until the next time I feel like dealing with it. Damn....

that must hurt.. Sorry to hear, I can feel your pain.. That’s a classic piece.. hope you get it sorted out with an easy fix..

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
that must hurt.. Sorry to hear, I can feel your pain.. That’s a classic piece.. hope you get it sorted out with an easy fix..
Thanks! Just got it fixed...Woopee, These 4400's I learned have four jumpers on the back and if the're not cleaned or seated all positively a channel will cut out. Also there is a "remote - local" switch that should be set on local. I must say it sounds great with my JBL's and has power to spare. It is a beauty and wanted one when I first saw it at Pacific Stereo 47 years ago. Funny how that is :):)

Reactions: Mikem53

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Western Electric built line amplifiers which were powered remotely and intended to operate for a very long time- these were built into the intercontinental phone lines and they seemed to hold up- under the ocean... If you know what you are doing making a reliable tube amp isn't a problem.

You made me curious about this and how they implemented it. Here are a few excerpts and facts from some reading on the subject.. This was in the 50’s and this particular line had no problems over its entire service life of 20 years. Fascinating achievement..

20-Year Tubes for Transatlantic Cable
Must operate reliably and unattended on ocean floor.
The new transatlantic telephone cable system depends on the use of hundreds of specially designed very long life vacuum tubes housed in built-in repeaters in the cables lying on the ocean bottom. Repeaters are installed at intervals of about 40 miles in each of the pair of 2000-nautical-mile-long deep-sea cables between Newfoundland and Scotland. Each of the 102 repeaters is a 3-tube circuit used to overcome the attenuation of the cable and to equalize its nonlinear frequency response.
Two main types of tubes are in operation. One, the 6P12, was developed by the British Post Office for use in the shallow-water portion of the system between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. The other, the 175HQ, was developed at Bell Telephone Laboratories, for use in the deep-sea portion of the system between Newfoundland and Scotland.

Tubes essentially like those used have been on life test for about 17 years with no failure and there is reasonable probability that these tubes will operate without failure for at least 20 years.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Telephony Triodes with sea salt, yummie!

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
You made me curious about this and how they implemented it. Here are a few excerpts and facts from some reading on the subject.. This was in the 50’s and this particular line had no problems over its entire service life of 20 years. Fascinating achievement..

20-Year Tubes for Transatlantic Cable
Must operate reliably and unattended on ocean floor.
The new transatlantic telephone cable system depends on the use of hundreds of specially designed very long life vacuum tubes housed in built-in repeaters in the cables lying on the ocean bottom. Repeaters are installed at intervals of about 40 miles in each of the pair of 2000-nautical-mile-long deep-sea cables between Newfoundland and Scotland. Each of the 102 repeaters is a 3-tube circuit used to overcome the attenuation of the cable and to equalize its nonlinear frequency response.
Two main types of tubes are in operation. One, the 6P12, was developed by the British Post Office for use in the shallow-water portion of the system between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. The other, the 175HQ, was developed at Bell Telephone Laboratories, for use in the deep-sea portion of the system between Newfoundland and Scotland.

Tubes essentially like those used have been on life test for about 17 years with no failure and there is reasonable probability that these tubes will operate without failure for at least 20 years.

There's not going to be heat or dust problems so that's a big help!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing