I have updated my fantastic Model 8tihc, which I play, for info, preamps

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
hi Analogsa, hi I model 8T I find it exceptional even more 'musical mono 7 maybe because' the latter have more power, I also heard in a Showroom Hifi a pre criterion with amp 625 jr the sound was very clear and low frequency range and low he did not convince me

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
these are the technical features of the AR ref6 pre;

Frequency response: +0-3dB, 0.4Hz to 200kHz at rated output (balanced, 200k ohms load)
Distortion: Less than .01% at 2V RMS BAL output
Crosstalk: -88dB or better at 1kHz and 10kHz
Gain: Main output: 12dB balanced output, 6dB SE output. Record out: 0dB (processor input: 0dB balanced output)
Input impedance: 120kohms balanced, 60kohms SE. Inputs: 4 balanced, 4 single-ended. Assignable processor pass-through
Output impedance: 600 ohms balanced, 300 ohms SE Main (2). 20kohms minimum load and 2000pF maximum capacitance
Inputs: 4 × XLR, 4 × RCA
Outputs: 2 × main, 1 × record out (XLR and RCA connectors)
Output polarity: Non-inverting
Tube complement: 6 × 6H30P dual triodes, plus 1 × 6550WE & 1 × 6H30P in power supply
Dimensions (WHD): 480 × 198 × 419mm

May 30, 2010
Portugal
DaveyF,
I like 32 dB the sound has more dynamic body
Yes, in many models lower gains were achieved increasing feedback in Rowlands. IMHO the best sounding position was always the higher gain, although sometimes it is not possible to use them to excessive preamplfier gain or noise, or even high efficiency speakers.

DaveyF

Aug 1, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
DaveyF,
I like 32 dB the sound has more dynamic body
That could be with your speakers and room size. Not the case with my speakers and room size. On the high gain setting with my system, the amp exhibits too much glare. An obvious mismatch.

Since I use a modded CAT preamp, I use the high impedance setting, I believe with tube preamps this is the recommended setting...and again it certainly sounds better in my system. YMMV.

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
today I also tried a passive pre Cello ,,, as good as it seemed like the pre Pandora of Gryphon I used. but 'without nuances without low range but very natural, then I put the Ref.6 another world ....... but' I believe a lot in pre-passive, there are 2 that I like very much, Audio Tekne 9701 and Luxman AT3000 I have to find them and try them in the hifi system
salone1.jpg

May 30, 2010
Portugal
today I also tried a passive pre Cello ,,, as good as it seemed like the pre Pandora of Gryphon I used. but 'without nuances without low range but very natural, then I put the Ref.6 another world ....... but' I believe a lot in pre-passive, there are 2 that I like very much, Audio Tekne 9701 and Luxman AT3000 I have to find them and try them in the hifi system
View attachment 44019
IMHO Rowland's needed active preamplifiers. I remember that the Cello Etude was not a great passive - the sound quality depended a lot of the volume setting. IMHO people were paying more for the mechanics and feeling than for the sound. I still own a Vishay Audio Synthesis that out performed it by a wide margin - I use it mainly for measurements, I prefer active preamplfiers.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Agree I had an Etude-- rather gutless I thought--smooth Volume control but frankly no Balls-- it suffered from impedance mismatches with the Amps also.

There are better out there--I like Dave Slagles efforts.

BruceD

Cello7.jpg

tdimler

Jul 4, 2016
TX
Consider trying the Luxman C-900u pre-amp. I just had one on extended audition with my Rowland 625 S2 and it is a superlative match. Rich, powerful, detailed...it has it all...plus build quality and user interface are top notch.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Why not using the JRDG Coherence II or the JRDG Continuum Preamps?
I had for a time the model 9TiHC for the main speakers and the 8 TiHC for the subwoofers, perfect match with Coherence II

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
[QUOTE = "shakti, post: 536229, membro: 6864"] Perché non utilizzare JRDG Coherence II o il JRDG Continuum Preamp?
Ho avuto per un momento il modello 9TiHC per i diffusori principali e l'8 TiHC per i subwoofer, perfetto abbinamento con Coherence II [/ QUOTE]
Mi piacerebbe provare il koda cosa hai nel tuo profilo, il pre continum jr ho ascoltato meglio il ref 6 ar sonoro più dettagliato e con piu 'basso range. la choerence II non ha mai provato. comunque ho regolato il mio setup e ho messo il guadagno del modello da 8 a 26 db e ora tutto va bene ora ottima sinergia e interfaccia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing