I thought it was 1st April

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Found on a very high end and very serious forum:

"He never uses remote to chose track on CD because it does not sound as good as choosing manually"

Can anyone better this?

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Yves Bertrand André recommends to press the pause button before "play" the disc:). He is a serious man.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There is a theory that the listener himself present in the room leads to a worse outcome compared to being absent.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Any link on that ... better sound manually than remotely.
For turntables I agree, for CD players I never thought of it ... something new to explore next year ... 2020.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Imagine that Al. You're an audiophile of unlimited means. You build the best room. You fill it w the best gear. And the greatest music collection. And the sound brings tears to your's, and your guests' eyes. Goosebumps moments every session.

And then it happens...as each guest leaves the room, SQ improves. Down to just you, and now you know sound will be beyond even yr exalted level w you out of the room. And you are the audiophile who MUST have the best...

Reactions: Al M.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
That AE write ups reflect many things about their usual approach to listening. What is the zero to sixty time, skid pad G., braking distance, quietness between notes, etc. Glad to hear they now move into listening the performance of music and how the system portray those performances not breaking down sound into check boxes or emphasize certain aspect like expansive sound stage or depth but into a more holistic flow of musical performance. I was actually like that too. Then I met ddk and Thanks to Ked introducing me to classical which led me to ZerostarGeneral. They all shaped me into the way I am listening to music from stereo now. Believe it or not I get more excited getting a package from the General more than a new gear landing in my room now.

Tang :)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Found on a very high end and very serious forum:

"He never uses remote to chose track on CD because it does not sound as good as choosing manually"

Can anyone better this?
For some folks, it is always April 1!

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I say this with respect and admiration...the craziest audiophiles I know are the audiophiles in HK and Japan. Those guys tweak components and the room to insane degrees. The utlimate tweakers!

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
It goes along with the Peter Principle of Audiophile Accident Clustering: as soon as your first guest arrives to listen to your system, everything starts to break and buzz.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I have heard in this hobby all year.

Tom

jdza

May 3, 2010
From reading the link it would appear that the no-remote tweak comes from Roy Gregory and not a delusional mega rich HK spender. Back when he was editor of HiFi + Gregory's writings certainly changed the way I listen to music.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
From reading the link it would appear that the no-remote tweak comes from Roy Gregory and not a delusional mega rich HK spender. Back when he was editor of HiFi + Gregory's writings certainly changed the way I listen to music.

Sidebar;)! reminds me of the time Roy Gregory was doing a Sort Cone Demo at RMAF--Muggins me pipes up!---

"Mr Gregory sir how would they compare to the Goldmunds"--before he could answer --a fellow behind me said " I have a set in my bag!":eek:

The Goldmunds were reluctantly swapped in/out for the Sort Cones-

The Goldmunds were "better" upon voting by the masses.

I always thought myself the Cones were the best thing Goldmund made:p

BruceD

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
IanG,

Why making me a google dependent? Thanks for the entertaining and informative reading!
I have to get the Cha-Cha recording!

https://audioexotics.vanillacommuni...-plus-in-the-uk-will-visit-ae-this-week-in-hk

Hi Mr Micro

Answers:

1 To keep your brain alert over the Christmas break

2 To avoid any implied criticism of those who seem to like their hifi more than their music (I see this might actually be Roy Gregory who used to write for HiFi+) - I know that's a dangerous place to go!

Ian

Reactions: microstrip

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
There is a theory that the listener himself present in the room leads to a worse outcome compared to being absent.
You may remember that it was originally a pre-requisite of owning Linn speakers that no other speakers were in the room. This was essential even if you had a Linn Sondek turntable (£300), a NAD amplifier (£100) and the more modest Linn Kan speakers (£200). How times change.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011

This is rather like the television presenter with a rear monitor who tries to look at his televised face but can, of course, never turn around fast enough before his own rear head comes into view.

I can now imagine some crazy audiophiles running in and out of their rooms at great pace trying to decide whether the opening microseconds are better than the closing microseconds.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing