If you could have one album re-mastered what would it be?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Ultravox - Lament

I love the music and all releases including LP sound like crap

Jack, I have an Aussie pressing and it sounds pretty good. slightly tilted in the upper frequencies and less bass than say Vienna - but has plenty of detail.

Top of my head: PJ Harvey's 'To Bring You My Love' Remastered vinyl was threatened many times but never materialized.

Always on the hunt for remasters of loved albums as so many of my faves growing up are compressed to death among other maladies.

do you have an original UK pressing of this? - It sounds amazing.

Reactions: Chop

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

You get ONE choice.

Choose carefully ! ! ! !
:cool:

No way ! ! ! ! :D

Don't know what you're talking about, Bob. Meddle sounds awesome.

Bob said:
And then, I just don't know all their releases; there is no way that I am aware of all the best masters and re-masters.

Agree, just a mid 80's UK pressing of Meddle sounds amazing.

I don't have that pressing; I only have few North American ones (LPs), three different ones on CDs, and a music concert video version. I could use better ones, thank you.

If I knew every best music remasters of all the music I like in the world I would be the main speaker for world peace. :b

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Another band that has been brutally massacred on CD is Kansas. Any dollar bin LP would sound a million times better than their "remastered" CDs. Not fair :)

Funny you should say that as I took my well cared for one owner original copy of Leftoverture to Mikes and was paranoid on how it would sound and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded, as was Xander.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Great thread Mike, you like Rush, a great Canadian Rock-and-Roll band, me too.
I still prefer Led Zeppelin though, and the Stones, and The Doors.
...And Psychedelic Rock...Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin (she can use some re-mastering), Pink Floyd.

* Only one album; impossible for me, there are just too many. ...Fleetwood Mac, CSN, CSN&Y, Cat Stevens, Black Sabbath (could use some re-mastering), AC?DC, Metallica, ...

They were (cd's as I have not heard the vinyl remasters) and they are pretty impressive all things considered, far superior. About 10 seconds in I noticed and asked as I was not aware they were re-mastered versions

I have never had issues with Floyd albums.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Rush Signals. I know it was already remastered...but that is not so good either. Always a bit murky this album but the songs and playing are phenomenal.

That album is magical. A defining moment in their careers. I wore the grooves off the record and CD! :p

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Quote Originally Posted by rblnr View Post
Top of my head: PJ Harvey's 'To Bring You My Love' Remastered vinyl was threatened many times but never materialized.

Always on the hunt for remasters of loved albums as so many of my faves growing up are compressed to death among other maladies.

do you have an original UK pressing of this? - It sounds amazing.

Don’t, will have to track it down. If you have any leads to find this, please let me know, thanks.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Funny you should say that as I took my well cared for one owner original copy of Leftoverture to Mikes and was paranoid on how it would sound and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded, as was Xander.

CD or LP? LPs sound fine. CDs would only sound good on an MSB, like Mike has :)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That album is magical. A defining moment in their careers. I wore the grooves off the record and CD! :p

Yeah, out of all the Rush albums, I wouldn't pick "Signals" as the one needing better (re)mastering. I kinda like that not-quite-fully-80s-new-wave production. Of course, soon after that they'd totally lose it with the follow up, that was 80s through and through. "Signals" is the last truly good Rush album.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Wow, that's the exact same record I thought when I read your thread title! Such an amazing album, done so poorly, even originally...
Ritchie should just go back to the tapes and remix the whole thing again, assuming the tapes are still out there somewhere...
I think I have it as a SHM-SACD. Unbearable to listen to. Needs the Steven Wilson remix magic.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I think I have it as a SHM-SACD. Unbearable to listen to. Needs the Steven Wilson remix magic.

Yeah I got that SACD as well. That one was actually WORSE than a regular CD I also had lying around. Shameful. Those SHM-SACDs were pretty hit and miss, BTW.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Alex, I need a new remaster of this one; which one is the best?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yeah, out of all the Rush albums, I wouldn't pick "Signals" as the one needing better (re)mastering. I kinda like that not-quite-fully-80s-new-wave production. Of course, soon after that they'd totally lose it with the follow up, that was 80s through and through. "Signals" is the last truly good Rush album.

Well, its my favorite Rush album so I definitely think the music is really, really great...I was only referring to the sound quality, which leaves quite a bit to be desired...even compared to other, earlier Rush albums.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, its my favorite Rush album so I definitely think the music is really, really great...I was only referring to the sound quality, which leaves quite a bit to be desired...even compared to other, earlier Rush albums.

That's one of my faves well! But quickly going through my digital versions, none of them are downright offensive. The (recent remaster) CD and 24/96 are similar, loud and punchy. The MFSL is their usual job, soft and muted. The 24/48 is my fave, along with the MQA, which seems to actually be derived from the 24/48 files, as they're fairly similar (MQA slightly more natural).

In comparison, the previous album, "Moving Pictures", is far flatter sounding, less punchy, lacking low-end, etc.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alex, I need a new remaster of this one; which one is the best?

As recommended, the Rhino 2LP reissues are really good. Haven't listened to this particular album yet, but I was playing the first s/t the other day, and it's great!

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing