If you were to be a dealer, what lines would you like to carry and why?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack, you might want to consider Zu re v high efficiency full range driver spkrs, absolutely SET friendly, w great sonics and aesthetics, 3 interesting price points $10k, $20k and custom order flagship $100k+.

They are carried here by our friends at Acoustic Dimensions. Good guys in the biz since I was in Uni. Good LP shop too. They are well represented :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Aaaah here's one since I'm dreaming. I'd love to have a record shop in partnership with Phil (jadis here at WBF) and zerostargeneral. Oh yeah!

Oh. I would carry Da Vinci for their arm and cart. Don't have the capital for their tables. I'll just have to buy retail for myself. Just trying to decide between the straight or S arm. My growing collection of Koetsu Diamonds is begging for it :D

Reactions: ack

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Regarding cables I would probably carry CARDAS ,I love their pure copper connectors (which do matter imo) not to pricey but well made
Not for additional soundi improvements but to make it all look nice

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Finding a broadly distributed speaker for a 30wpc four chassis 6 figure amp is a challenge indeed. Gotta say I loved Steve's with his X2s and that was before he added a ton of goodies. Low wattage in itself is a challenge given what physics will allow. There is nowhere to go speaker wise except BIG especially when it comes to bass at realistic dynamic levels without bi-amping. Custom not broad does appear the way to go. Nobody makes Bionors anymore. It is definitely a niche within a niche.

If Living Voice would accept agency instead of distributorship, I'd do it if i had a client for them.

It is becoming an issue for me. I am trying to sell the Lamm ML3's in Europe where they are almost non-existant, some people felt attracted for the very nice price but then find they do not drive their loved speakers ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Totally hypothetical, but curious to see where people would put their money and reputation into. You determine your investment capital as well.

The question no one is asking. What is the main objective of the owner - main job and livelihood, have a nice time after retiring, have a nice social life and some extra income or just become rich in a short time :) ?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mine drive them with ease lol , even the 20 watter
You didn't t like them on your XLF s ?, I think the XLF is quite an easy load

Cabling, the absence of the remote and the dual volume control of the LL1 preamplfier became a serious barrier between me and music.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I got all my do invested (not the time yet )otherwise I might be interested for a serious listen, I must say I never even heard them

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Greg, is this a serious question or a curious question? I may have very different opinions with that...

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Much as I would like to infer slowly moving that which is unattainable to most into a location with pleasing aesthetics and design value. Which does seem to be half the dream; A personal brand associated with all the right things in all the right ways, but still carrying unique notions and equations lying outside this regimented ideal. The other half being ability to play with a substantially larger amount of top end equipment. Negative interest in operating a salon.

Every six months commission a designed and manufactured in Asia product of near generic branding and simple design logic. Redefining quality that used to be accessible and innovative to match. Many similarities to what I denied being attracted to above. Save investigating the high end of what the average person/family can faithfully reproduce non-intrusively in their own homes. I was taught the value of sharing. The absence of which seems to be eroding ability to replenish active participants vital to the existence of this indoor sport.

Or as was ably stated beforehand

That is why my hi fi store would have to be a well funded hobby.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hmm--With the SET prominence to the fore now--maybe Micro and Jack could consider a boutique unique to themselves branded

custom speaker-using these drivers(I'm a BIG fan of FC's!:p!-- with the superb EU timbers on tap--Baltic Pines-and dare I mention Panzerholtz/etc

with the exotic Palisanders ./etc of the Tropics the other.

Just musing
BruceD
Feild Coils.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It is becoming an issue for me. I am trying to sell the Lamm ML3's in Europe where they are almost non-existant, some people felt attracted for the very nice price but then find they do not drive their loved speakers ...

I see where you are coming from as I build my systems around the room and speakers. Most people do I think.

Maybe you'll find a Cessaro owner like Khun Tang who is very happy with his ML3s or.... an existing ML2, 2.1 or 2.2 owner. Surely it is a great target for anyone already using any 211,845 or GM70 amp. The 45 and 46 camp will likely not be interested as much but 300B folks I think should definitely be interested to at least try and here them.

Vladimir bore these out of pure passion knowing full well their limited marketability. The amount of rack space alone for a full signature system is a commitment but oh how beautiful music they bring as you well know for yourself.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm--With the SET prominence to the fore now--maybe Micro and Jack could consider a boutique unique to themselves branded

custom speaker-using these drivers(I'm a BIG fan of FC's!:p!-- with the superb EU timbers on tap--Baltic Pines-and dare I mention Panzerholtz/etc

with the exotic Palisanders ./etc of the Tropics the other.

Just musing
BruceD
View attachment 60754
Bruce, do you know how the Maxonics sound? There is a dealer not 20 miles from me. Runs these 100dB+ beauties w...Soulution amps!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The question no one is asking. What is the main objective of the owner - main job and livelihood, have a nice time after retiring, have a nice social life and some extra income or just become rich in a short time :) ?

Very easy to make a small fortune in the audio business. (As they say with owning a winery) start with a large fortune.

Larry

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

this subject reminds me of when i saw my house and barn for sale 16 years ago, i did represent to my wife that the barn would work for me to get into the hifi business......as a justification for the purchase when our intent at that time was to downsize.

for a mili-second i did actually intend to do that. but then i laid down until that feeling passed......never to return.

my main objective is/was/will be to forget my worries.........therefore no hifi dealer business for me.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Atma_-sphere
Avantgatde
Air Tangent
VIP
Dartzeel
Evolution Acousstics
Martin Logan
Moscode
Home Audio
LAMM
L ampizator
SOTA
To be cont'd...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
my main objective is/was/will be to forget my worries.........therefore no hifi dealer business for me.

Not to mention that it would be hard to say no to customers who want stuff a too large speaker into a too small room. I couldn't live with that, it would go against my convictions.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Bruce, do you know how the Maxonics sound? There is a dealer not 20 miles from me. Runs these 100dB+ beauties w...Soulution amps!
Marc,
The Maxonic is often partnered with Concert Fidelity amplifiers, the two brands are connected in Japan, Masataka Tsuda (CF) has input on driver design. I have not heard the combination, but obviously respect the partnership.. If your hear them with Soulution let me know what you think..

KR,
Paul

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
To add;

I work directly with:
Concert Fidelity
Aidas Audio

Can supply:
Ayon
Thales
EMT
Gauder Acoustic
Rockport

BUT, would LOVE to have:
Franco Serblin..!

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
In alphabetical order:

Dynamic Speakers:
Magico
Vandersteen
YG Acoustics

Other Speakers:
Alsyvox
Magnepan
MBL

Preamps/Amps:
dartZeel
MSB
MBL
Pass Labs
VAC

Turntable:
Bergmann

Digital:
MSB

Racks:
Critical Mass

I included a few reasonably priced brands.

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing