spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
AMR, is the Hip Dac only applicable for 'phones use? Or can it be used as a standalone USB dac in a spkrs based audio system being fed by a USB server?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So it appears one of Murphys laws is in full force just as I was about to give a rave review to the hip fac
Whatever can go wrong will, at the worst possible m0poment.
It appears rhe mini headphone jack has gone out. I have no idea how to fix it.
F

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
heads up!
If you do purchase the hip-dac..
Make sure you:
1.Retain your receipt.
2. Make note of your serial number.
3. You'll need a "ticket" return authorion)
All needed for warranty service. The for for the "ticket is on their web site.
Save yourself some headaches.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
heads up!
If you do purchase the hip-dac..
Make sure you:
1.Retain your receipt.
2. Make note of your serial number.
3. You'll need a "ticket" return authorion)
All needed for warranty service. The for for the "ticket is on their web site.
Save yourself some headaches.
things happen, this will be part of your review as customer service counts big time, we will wait.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Greg,
it does not happen too often that the hip-dac's jack is not working, but it did happen a few times. However, your unit had no mechanical or electrical issues. We found dirt/dust pushed inside the jack, so I guess that was the reason why it stopped transmitting the signal. We cleaned it for you. Should be fine going forward.

Also, let me clarify how the warranty policy works. There is no need to keep the receipt if you have the serial number. It is located on every single product. That is the simplest way to identify your unit and verify that you are the owner.

If a product fails, and you decide to get it repaired or swapped, we kindly ask you to open a ticket on our support website first. https://support.ifi-audio.com/ Perhaps we can help you out remotely. If not, then one of our advisors will give you directions regarding what to do next and where to send the product.

All the best,

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just let me thank you for your prompt response.
You are correct . No one asked me for a receipt. However to process the "ticket" you will need date of purchase and the vendors name and serial #. Keeping the receipt is crucial if proof of purchase should it ever becomes an issue. Luckily my bank was able to give me the date of purchase and vendor name. So store it in a safe place. Without these you will be unable to process a "ticket" My eyesight is terrible. I was unable to locate the serial number on the unit. I am perfectly willing to assume it was there. I was just unable to locate it. I will examine it when it is returned to me.
Thanking you in advance.
Greg.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
AMR, is the Hip Dac only applicable for 'phones use? Or can it be used as a standalone USB dac in a spkrs based audio system being fed by a USB server?
If you do not mind I will take a stab at this. It appears the only output is via headphone jack. Thus the preliminary answer is no. However Monster and Biken make cables that convert a headphone jack to RCA inputs. You can plug them to your AUX jack. I have tried this with a smart phone. I have not tried it with the hip dac.
Greg

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Greg,
it seems that you have become an iFi expert. As you pointed out, the hip-dac is designed primarily for the headphones use. It can, however, also serve as a standalone DAC if you add the aforementioned cables. @spiritofmusic please remember that the hip-dac has two different outputs, unbalanced 3.5mm and balanced 4.4mm.

All the best

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Way ahead of you. Already entered.;)

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ok so my hip dac arrived today. I am of the opinion that they elected to give me a new one. I can't tell for certain. I had lost the box and the original cords. It arrived in new box with cords.(It requires a dedicated cord. } It sounds great. Overall they get an "A" for warranty service.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Notice
Headphones.com is offering a $ 500 bundle.
The Hi fi man Sundara
Ifi Aidio hip dac
I have not heard the Sundara. IIRC it has been recently improved and positively reviewed.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Yes, that's true. They offer one juicy discount.
Sundara is a great pair of planar magnetic headphones. Fanstatstic frequency response, crisp sound, extends the deep bass. It feels feels relatively light-weigh for its mostly metal build and sits comfortably over longer sessions. However, since they are open-back they best serve their purpose in a quiet/peaceful home/listening-room environment.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Clearly not content to rest on its' laurels iFi Audio continues to release and upgrade products at a dizzying pace.
The hip dac2 has been released.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I love the jacket that keeps it cozy. I hope it is retrofitted to hip dac sr.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@Gregadd , you are right.

The long awaited and lovingly crafted hip-case has arrived.
Both the original hip-dac and the new hip-dac2 sport a 102x70x14mm extruded aluminium enclosure which is sufficiently robust to be carried around without fear of damage or breakage.
However, we know that some of you wanted further protection for the beautifully anodised metallic finish and the hi-res interior.
You can now give your adored hip-dac or hip-dac2 a softer, suede-like feel by wrapping it in a bespoke case from iFi, offering protection both at home and on the go without hindering the control functionality.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The hip dac can be usrd in your car. I suspect t the same is true for Diablo and Go Blue. Just use aux cable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing