iFi audio ZEN CAN Signature Meze 99 - The Official Thread

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Let me reiterate. It would be justifiable for a $209 product to cut corners in fit and finish and packaging. Everything I have received to date has been first class. Kudos to them
My cord arrived today. We will see if it makes a difference. It is already making me feel better.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Let me reiterate. It would be justifiable for a $209 product to cut corners in fit and finish and packaging. Everything I have received to date has been first class. Kudos to them
My cord arrived today. We will see if it makes a difference. It is already making me feel better.
Let us know how do like the new cable ;) We're happy you have managed to eliminate the dropouts.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Let us know how do like the new cable ;) We're happy you have managed to eliminate the dropouts.
Actually... I have managed to isolate it but not cure it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
iFi Audio Mercury 3.0 USB Cable

It comes in a substantial box with the usual fFi logo embossed on it. It is relatively easy to open. Just slide out the enclosed box and open it. You will find everything wrapped for protection; The anti-scratch wrapping required the use of a knife for these old hands. Those of normal dexterity should have no problem. You don't want to mar the excellent finish.
Enclosed are the cables in a black oversized velvety pouch, warranty card and minimal instructions. An unexpected plus was also included. Previously I lamented there was no cable include in the above combo for attachment to a smartphone. I would not call it free. Let's just say one is included at no additional cost. I had purchased one previously for use with the Hip-Dac.

Normally I would say cables are plug and play. I found one you tube review on this cable. I deemed it not very useful as it was in a foreign language. Because there is more to this cable than just wire there is something to explain. As I learn more, I will post it here.
For now, the cable is installed and being burned in.

Note: One annoying thing. When I plug the cable in it mutes the computer speaker. That's actually a good thing. But it necessitates that I disconnect the USB cord. The XDuoo mutes the computer speakers automatically and allows them to return automatically once it is turned off. That is a minor annoyance n for me because I have an all-in-one computer that sits on my desk. Quite another problem if you locate your computer under your desk. I suppose there is an easy fix that merely exposes my computer illiteracy.

Pictures to follow.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
20230105_195013.jpg 20230105_195403.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
20230105_195206.jpg 20230105_195101.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So I have been enjoying this cable. High resolution comes at a price.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Kayo have you tried the cable with this combo?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I guess I can just go ahead and say it. I can give a more detailed opinion later. This cable brings the total package to $1,000. It violates my rule that cable should not exceed 10% of the price of the components they connect (totally arbitrary BTW). At this point you could not pry it out of my cold dead hands. I am a cable skeptic. Maybe not anymore.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
t is diffcult to put this into words. This commentary should piggyback what I have already said about this combo.
Higher resolution
Better imaging
Lower noise
Voices and instruments are clearer
Make no mistake this coble is not a filter. If there is noise on the recording it is coming through.
I am a Tidal subscriber.

Imaging is a headphones Achilles heel. The cables' ability to separate instruments and voices is remarkable
Dynamics both macro and micro are great. Dynamic contrasts are improved.
Voices are more recognizable and identifiable. Instrumentsthe same. Mass strings are sometimes bunched to together and have a steely quality. With this cable they become separated and have that "rossiny "quality.
If you are using a stock cable with this combo you owe it to yourself to audition this cable. Whether or not iFi audio will offer this cable as part of the package is a marketing decision for them. At the very least it should be a recommended option.
Birn -in was really not that important. That is unusual for a cable.
I own this cable. This is not an attempt to rank the cable.

Note: I have requested an Official thread for this cable where I expect they will explain their technical approach.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
t is diffcult to put this into words. This commentary should piggyback what I have already said about this combo.
Higher resolution
Better imaging
Lower noise
Voices and instruments are clearer
Make no mistake this coble is not a filter. If there is noise on the recording it is coming through.
I am a Tidal subscriber.

Imaging is a headphones Achilles heel. The cables' ability to separate instruments and voices is remarkable
Dynamics both macro and micro are great. Dynamic contrasts are improved.
Voices are more recognizable and identifiable. Instrumentsthe same. Mass strings are sometimes bunched to together and have a steely quality. With this cable they become separated and have that "rossiny "quality.
If you are using a stock cable with this combo you owe it to yourself to audition this cable. Whether or not iFi audio will offer this cable as part of the package is a marketing decision for them. At the very least it should be a recommended option.
Birn -in was really not that important. That is unusual for a cable.
I own this cable. This is not an attempt to rank the cable.

Note: I have requested an Official thread for this cable where I expect they will explain their technical approach.
Glad to hear you enjoy it. Would you say that the change is worthwhile, considering the cost? How do you feel about it, compared to the price of the Zen stack?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As a standalone item I have no quarrel with the price. I think the issue show to integrate it into to both combos without altering the bargain they are. I have no idea what your cost is. I can only attest to what a quantum leap it is over the stock cable.
Currently my only dilemma is whether to switch my one cable between my two setups or purchase another one.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
As a standalone item I have no quarrel with the price. I think the issue show to integrate it into to both combos without altering the bargain they are. I have no idea what your cost is. I can only attest to what a quantum leap it is over the stock cable.
Currently my only dilemma is whether to switch my one cable between my two setups or purchase another one.
As a company, we operate on lower margins and a grander scale. It allows us to deliver a better bang for your buck.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am quickly becoming of the opinion this combo is as good as the source material it is being fed. With the addition of the Mercury 3,0cable resolution is so high Ican detect some background noise. Recording hall ambience is easily audible. Such things as a singer catching her breath is reedify discernible. What is really weird is to hear the breath enter the horn, cause the intended sound then to have the breath dissipate to a level that does not cause music.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I am quickly becoming of the opinion this combo is as good as the source material it is being fed. With the addition of the Mercury 3,0cable resolution is so high Ican detect some background noise. Recording hall ambience is easily audible. Such things as a singer catching her breath is reedify discernible. What is really weird is to hear the breath enter the horn, cause the intended sound then to have the breath dissipate to a level that does not cause music.
Cool, Calm and Collected. It is Good that you are pin pointing the fine details. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
See here for A/C filter!
We have our own system if you are looking for something more advanced. Active noise cancelling and very low impedance is what in our mind make the best possible mains distribution system.
Cheeky photo:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I can review it. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing