Ikeda 407 alignment

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Did I miss what cartridge you have mounted? And is it known to track this record correctly on other arms?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
which cart?
a new one?, than the rubberring may need some more hours.
Very often VTF os too low.
Does ist work with VTF a little higher?
Depending on cart, your antiskating should be like 0,3 - 0,5 x VTF and not higher.

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
Never managed to track that with any copy or any cartridge. It was mastered by an idiot I reckon. DG mastering was always poor compared to Decca, Phillips, EMI anyway but they surpassed themselves here.

Reactions: lscangus

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
which cart?
a new one?, than the rubberring may need some more hours.
Very often VTF os too low.
Does ist work with VTF a little higher?
Depending on cart, your antiskating should be like 0,3 - 0,5 x VTF and not higher.
I tried both Lyra Kleos and DS W3, both cannot manage to track correctly on that track. I have bought a share V15 and we will see. I am enjoying the 407SS a lot at the moment.

E93C2131-B7E5-4C15-92BD-3D1280A25690.JPG

Reactions: shakti

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I tried both Lyra Kleos and DS W3, both cannot manage to track correctly on that track. I have bought a share V15 and we will see. I am enjoying the 407SS a lot at the moment.

View attachment 111130
From the pure looking your cart does not look correct fitted, you are at the most inner point of your headshell, using the gun metal base from Micro Seiki. With the most cartridges in my similar set up the cart comes more to the front. And the most Japanese carts are very similar in dimensions.

By the way, I am currently using the IEC zero points with success for my Ikeda too.

(IEC standard suggests that said „zero crossings“ be positioned at 66mm and. 121mm from the centre of the turntable)

IEC seem to me a good compromise for many of my tonearms.

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
From the pure looking your cart does not look correct fitted, you are at the most inner point of your headshell, using the gun metal base from Micro Seiki. With the most cartridges in my similar set up the cart comes more to the front. And the most Japanese carts are very similar in dimensions.

By the way, I am currently using the IEC zero points with success for my Ikeda too.

(IEC standard suggests that said „zero crossings“ be positioned at 66mm and. 121mm from the centre of the turntable)

IEC seem to me a good compromise for many of my tonearms.
i did struggle a bit on the overhang. But i settled with the 12mm ( 11.7 ) mm overhang as the design intent for stevenson alignment. The setup which has the cartridges move all the way to the front should have a longer overhang.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing