I'm confused...what is the better way to go?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The longest SE interconnect I've done is 9m. Sounded the same when I switched to balanced.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Of course the dealer will tell you to buy longer speaker cables. More money in his pocket!

For most cables the difference in price will be small. Some ICs are almost a pricey as the speaker cables and in the particular case of Kubala Sosna the price is exactly the same!

The policies of pricing additional length are very different between brands - if you need long cables it is a factor that must be considered when planing and choosing our systems.

BTW, it would be nice to know what is John preamplifier and amplifier. IMHO the answer to the main question depends on it!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For most cables the difference in price will be small. Some ICs are almost a pricey as the speaker cables and in the particular case of Kubala Sosna the price is exactly the same!

The policies of pricing additional length are very different between brands - if you need long cables it is a factor that must be considered when planing and choosing our systems.

BTW, it would be nice to know what is John preamplifier and amplifier. IMHO the answer to the main question depends on it!

McIntosh MC122 Power Amp
PS Audio 4.6 Preamp.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In the worst case scenario with matching pre, IC and amp the effect should be nothing more than a slight softening of the top end. At only 4m, I doubt many would here that. If it could, it isn't something a little bit of speaker placement play might fix.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Single ended interconnect cables with even the 30 foot runs Jack mentioned are not a problem.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Long ICs are usually only a problem with a tube preamp that doesn't have a cathode follower or SS buffer to lower the output impedance. John is using a SS preamp and 12' of ICs is nothing.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
In the worst case scenario with matching pre, IC and amp the effect should be nothing more than a slight softening of the top end. At only 4m, I doubt many would here that. If it could, it isn't something a little bit of speaker placement play might fix.

In John's case, all he needs to do would be a little twist of the tweeter trim knob :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My surround speakers (back surrounds) use 50-feet long cables (14AWG), and I sleep good at night. :b

My longest interconnects (right now) are two meters long.
{But I do have some 7-meter ones, that I can join together for 14 meters total; about 46 feet for a second zone if I want to, but I don't need to because I must have a dozen amps, three dozen sources, and all that jazz.}

My audio/video gear is all over; between my speakers, at right, at left, and behind. ...That's for various systems, not all in my main. ...I don't give a rat's tail about less than perfection because for me it is perfect. :b

Hey, just sayin', my own devise.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have 100 - 125' balanced runs between the rooms with no problems.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Long ICs are usually only a problem with a tube preamp that doesn't have a cathode follower or SS buffer to lower the output impedance. John is using a SS preamp and 12' of ICs is nothing.

Yes, the PSAudio 4.6 has an output impedance around 100 ohms. 12' should not be a problem.

However the cable length problem can not be considered only as a filter problem. The distortion of some preamplifiers will increase drastically with decreasing impedance's. Audio Research, for example, has cathode buffers but advises users not to use cables exceeding 2000 pF. The measurements shown in the Stereophile review of the REF 5SE show clearly why this suggestion.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't even want to read it because I know that he is FOS.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I wouldn't know Mark, but I wanted to post it anyway. The bottom line is this.I really like my Valab/King speaker cables and don't want to change, so I won't. I'm getting longer IC's and that's that.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
John, if you really like your VLab/King speaker cables, then they are the best cables for your preference. When I worked in statistics, I was told "There are lies, damned lies, and there are statistics." You can make the numbers "prove" anything you want.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John, if you really like your VLab/King speaker cables, then they are the best cables for your preference. When I worked in statistics, I was told "There are lies, damned lies, and there are statistics." You can make the numbers "prove" anything you want.

Which coincides with "Figures don't lie, but liars make figures."

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Dang straight! :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
John ,

I really find funny that a site called Empirical Audio uses simulations to prove its arguments! ;)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Back to the OP, if your component rack is well behind the plane of the speakers, why not leave it where it is?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I still think that dealer is being disingenuous or he is sharp as a bowling ball. Take your pick.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
One aspect not mentioned though is powering the equipment from the same point/dedicated ring and a consideration when using longer IC due to different power sockets usually used for preamp and power amps.
I assume most using longer ICs on this thread have dedicated spur for their audio equipment, but what about those using the existing/normal domestic ring/spur setup and potential for ground loops.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing