Import duty from Europe to the US

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hi folks, looking for feedback about import duties shipping used speakers from Europe (likely Germany) to the US. Thanks in advance!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Duties on new is about 3 percent of the value

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks guys, good info!!

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
What speakers are you thinking about getting?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Also, in addition to duty, states are starting to look at large value imports for assessing sales tax. I got hit by California billing me for the sales tax on a new DAC that I bought from Canada, based on the declared value. The DAC was $2000+, so the sales tax was significant.

Larry

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Also, in addition to duty, states are starting to look at large value imports for assessing sales tax. I got hit by California billing me for the sales tax on a new DAC that I bought from Canada, based on the declared value. The DAC was $2000+, so the sales tax was significant.

Larry

Thats why I said in my first post that everything is determined by what the bottom line of the invoice states. Often times the dealer will send with a different invoice to minimize the sales tax due on the item

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I would assume a doctored invoice is problematic in the case of shipping damage where an insurance claim is made. Insured value of $2k won't help much if the invoice says $200, in all likelihood.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Thats why I said in my first post that everything is determined by what the bottom line of the invoice states. Often times the dealer will send with a different invoice to minimize the sales tax due on the item

This actually helped me greatly, in that my girlfriend asked why I bought a $500 cd transport and didn't tell her about it. I was thankful for the different price on the invoice that day.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks for all the feedback. BTW - as I understadn it, the claimed price on the invoice has no relationship to the shipping value for insurance.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
True that they don't have to match if you're willing to risk the loss and don't want to pay for full insurance, but insuring a shipment for more than the declared invoice value is a potential flag for customs inspectors.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing