Impressions from Capital Audio Fest 2021

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Just got back from Capital Audio Fest 2021. It is my first audio show and it was like being in a candy store and you got to try all the candies! Connected with some really friendly audiophiles as well as learning from industry experts on their thoughts and processes.

The best of show room for me was the Kharma Exquisites Midi running with top of the line Conrad Johnson Monos and Pre in the 20/20 evolution systems room. The VR11s were impressive in scale and image definition but such a big speaker, in a huge room...just not a realistic room for 99% of us. They lacked the musical purity and liquidity the Kharmas played. The Midi sounded the most "realistic" and "natural" for me. People are not kidding when they said the Midis play big - way bigger than they look. They mostly just disappeared as if there the entire band was playing behind them. They were set out quite far into the room at 16' from the front wall in the 44' long room. Also they were absolutely gorgeous in person, the pictures do not do them justice.

The small rooms went from sounding bad to just ok but not one I was really impressed with. The best sounding rooms tended to be the medium to largish rooms on the main floor. They were roughly 20-26ft wide by 35-45ft wide. Yes, I bought my laser tape. Maybe this is the formula for a future room/build?

These are show conditions and my ears but in general I would categorize the vendors there in the following:

1) The "tinkerers" and "hobbiests" that produced unique products and sounds but much like you have modded street cars that try to be fast and cool. Intriguing but certainly not a Class A product and usually not worth what they were charging IMO. For example, the bass in those rooms were either bloated or razor thin. Hardly any rooms had it right.

2) The big industry names that sell tons of product to the audiophile masses, but to me never sounding exceptional, going by their reputation and mark ups for the dealers to promote.

3) Finally, the real deal manufacturers. The "professionals" as I would call them. Realistically convincing music. Very, very few of those from what I heard at the show.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Thanks. But without pics it didn’t happen. :)

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Not much of a social media person so I hardly took any pictures but here's one for uh...."proof" :cool:

IMG_0348.jpeg

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
The best sounding rooms tended to be the medium to largish rooms on the main floor. They were roughly 20-26ft wide by 35-45ft wide. Yes, I bought my laser tape. Maybe this is the formula for a future room/build?
Oh how I wish I had a room near this size. I will gladly take 20x35 :D

I love the laster tape idea!

Reactions: Nuprin

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Yeah I believe it measured 26W' x 44.5'L x 9.5'H. That room had the best bass out of all the rooms I heard among other outstanding sonic attributes. On many tracks, the music never really sounded like they were coming from the "speakers", just the musicians playing on a stage 20ft deep and at least the entire 26ft width directly behind the speakers.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
I'm starting to think my 13' deep by 17' wide room is limiting my soundstage depth...lol. One day I'll aspire to have a room of that similar size. I mean the kids can go to community college right?

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I can’t say that I heard but a few really good sounding rooms. I wil say that far too many rooms were way too loud. It was nice though to catch up with some friends.

Reactions: Nuprin

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
A question for those that have attended audio shows - have you ever had the audience in the room during a regular system demo, not only stay for an entire 11 minute song without moving, but give a clapping ovation at the end of a song that was played on a system?

It seemed uncommon but I don't know, I haven't been to any other shows.

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
I can’t say that I heard but a few really good sounding rooms. I wil say that far too many rooms were way too loud. It was nice though to catch up with some friends.
Agreed! Some were too quiet as well. Can't even gauge dynamics or good bass. Other rooms just hurt my ears for not only being loud but very bright, which is a poor combination.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Just got back from Capital Audio Fest 2021. It is my first audio show and it was like being in a candy store and you got to try all the candies! Connected with some really friendly audiophiles as well as learning from industry experts on their thoughts and processes.

The best of show room for me was the Kharma Exquisites Midi running with top of the line Conrad Johnson Monos and Pre in the 20/20 evolution systems room. The VR11s were impressive in scale and image definition but such a big speaker, in a huge room...just not a realistic room for 99% of us. They lacked the musical purity and liquidity the Kharmas played. The Midi sounded the most "realistic" and "natural" for me. People are not kidding when they said the Midis play big - way bigger than they look. They mostly just disappeared as if there the entire band was playing behind them. They were set out quite far into the room at 16' from the front wall in the 44' long room. Also they were absolutely gorgeous in person, the pictures do not do them justice.

The small rooms went from sounding bad to just ok but not one I was really impressed with. The best sounding rooms tended to be the medium to largish rooms on the main floor. They were roughly 20-26ft wide by 35-45ft wide. Yes, I bought my laser tape. Maybe this is the formula for a future room/build?

These are show conditions and my ears but in general I would categorize the vendors there in the following:

1) The "tinkerers" and "hobbiests" that produced unique products and sounds but much like you have modded street cars that try to be fast and cool. Intriguing but certainly not a Class A product and usually not worth what they were charging IMO. For example, the bass in those rooms were either bloated or razor thin. Hardly any rooms had it right.

2) The big industry names that sell tons of product to the audiophile masses, but to me never sounding exceptional, going by their reputation and mark ups for the dealers to promote.

3) Finally, the real deal manufacturers. The "professionals" as I would call them. Realistically convincing music. Very, very few of those from what I heard at the show.
Concur with your preference for the 20/20 Evolution CJ/Kharma/Lampizator room. It was also my favorite at the show. Good meeting and chatting with you.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Concur with your preference for the 20/20 Evolution CJ/Kharma/Lampizator room. It was also my favorite at the show. Good meeting.chatting with you.
My personal highlights from CAF 2021:

-The 20/20 Evolution Systems Conrad Johnson/Kharma/Lampizator room which was my personal favorite among the big rooms/systems at the show.
-Infigo Audio's (new to me) Class 'A' solid state monoblocks, DAC, and cables with Alta Audio speakers - one of the more musical solid state systems I've heard.
-Hearing the big JBL Project Everest DD67000 horn loaded speakers for the first time, in the VPI room.
-The (also new to me) Fleetwood Sound DeVille monitors with horn loaded compression driver covering 2khz and up and 8" woofer. 94 db efficient with bass to just below 40hz and optional matching wood stands. Great small room speaker - very dynamic and musical.
-The very small (200W monoblock fits in one hand) AGD GaN tube amplifiers (the ones that have circuit boards in a glass tube). Despite a bad room (long and narrow forcing a long wall setup) these were the most musical solid state amplifiers I've heard.
-The Kirmuss Audio multi-step ultrasonic vinyl cleaning demonstration where you give them your lp to clean and they actually show you the mold release agents and dirt ("white stuff") that they get out of the grooves.
-Chatting with Greg Belman in the Bache Audio room and hearing his great sounding new (reasonably priced) Urban 002 augmented wide-bander speakers.
-Meeting fellow WBF posters in person.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
My personal highlights from CAF 2021:

-The 20/20 Evolution Systems Conrad Johnson/Kharma/Lampizator room which was my personal favorite among the big rooms/systems at the show.
-Infigo Audio's (new to me) Class 'A' solid state monoblocks, DAC, and cables with Alta Audio speakers - one of the more musical solid state systems I've heard.
-Hearing the big JBL Project Everest DD67000 horn loaded speakers for the first time, in the VPI room.
-The (also new to me) Fleetwood Sound DeVille monitors with horn loaded compression driver covering 2khz and up and 8" woofer. 94 db efficient with bass to just below 40hz and optional matching wood stands. Great small room speaker - very dynamic and musical.
-The very small (200W monoblock fits in one hand) AGD GaN tube amplifiers (the ones that have circuit boards in a glass tube). Despite a bad room (long and narrow forcing a long wall setup) these were the most musical solid state amplifiers I've heard.
-The Kirmuss Audio multi-step ultrasonic vinyl cleaning demonstration where you give them your lp to clean and they actually show you the mold release agents and dirt ("white stuff") that they get out of the grooves.
-Chatting with Greg Belman in the Bache Audio room and hearing his great sounding new (reasonably priced) Urban 002 augmented wide-bander speakers.
-Meeting fellow WBF posters in person.
FYI:

-https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/agd-audion-amplifier/

-https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/fleetwood-sound-company-deville-loudspeaker

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I found a number of good sounding rooms in addition to the Kharma room.

**Gobel + Parasound + Wadax
**Tidal
**House of Stereo: TAD CR1 with T+A and Wolf Audio and Synergistic Research
**Magico + CAT
**Borreson Silver Supremes with Thrax and UHA Super Deck
**Joseph Audio Pearl Graphene with EMM Labs and Transparent
**VPI with JBL Everest and T+A integrated amp

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I found a number of good sounding rooms in addition to the Kharma room.

**Gobel + Parasound + Wadax
**Tidal
**House of Stereo: TAD CR1 with T+A and Wolf Audio and Synergistic Research
**Magico + CAT
**Borreson Silver Supremes with Thrax and UHA Super Deck
**Joseph Audio Pearl Graphene with EMM Labs and Transparent
**VPI with JBL Everest and T+A integrated amp
Agree - all of these were good.

Reactions: Lee

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
The Magico and Pearl Audio Room were too loud and bright for my tastes. I really couldn't sit there for more than a minute or two without wanting to leave. The S5 sounded very accurate but too analytical and not musical in that set up for me.

Disappointed in the Cube Audio room...the sound was very localized to the speakers and it was not cohesive. They probably are much better in the right room.

The GT Audio room had bloated bass and they played it too loud, seemed like they were trying to impress people with their "hey come check how loud/dynamic this plays!"

Borreson was also a bit too shouty for me as well. They felt/sounded cold and unengaging.

The big Daedalus sounded really nice and warm but...just huge speakers. I would have loved to hear the smaller ones at the show play in a bigger room than they were set up in upstairs.

Gensis room was also good but they had a weird set up with the speakers very close together in a rather big room. I think they would have played much better with a far wider soundstage than presented.

Gobel was good but not as lush and liquid as the Kharmas. I get the feeling they can sound much better with improved amplification and room acoustics/placement. The Exquisite Midi had the most seamless integration between their drivers.

The big JBLs were very good considering I'm not a fan of horns. They are, again just so big in a room.

All personal tastes and IMO.

Reactions: Cellcbern

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing