In praise of idlers

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Question for experienced idler folks: is an idler more subject to mistracking than a belt drive turntable? I'm asking because I've been having the hardest time setting up my 401. Cartridge after cartridge. Arm after arm. I've got it as clean as I've been able to get it so far, and I still get some distortion on every side of every LP at least once, sometimes more. Anything that really pushes the high frequencies with any surge in volume feels like it breaks up or is certainly edgy.

Never had this problem before with belt drive TTs. Playing all the same LPs. I can't suck that bad at setup, can I?

Tracking force too light or anti-skate? One channel or two and where on the record does it occur beginning middle or end?

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Tracking force or anti-skate?
Fiddled with anti-skate a bunch and I'm tracking the SL15 at 1.5g which is the top of recommended but I've tried 1.75g with no luck. SPU tracking tried at even 4g. I've had decent results with the Sculpture A.4 with a micro ridge stylus but still edgy at times. I had both these cartridges on arms that were c-clamped to a shelf with a cheap Well Tempered belt drive and no tracking issues at all. I'm about to buy a Feickert Woodpecker just to test it (because my uncle will buy it from me if it doesn't solve the issue).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Fiddled with anti-skate a bunch and I'm tracking the SL15 at 1.5g which is the top of recommended but I've tried 1.75g with no luck. SPU tracking tried at even 4g. I've had decent results with the Sculpture A.4 with a micro ridge stylus but still edgy at times. I had both these cartridges on arms that were c-clamped to a shelf with a cheap Well Tempered belt drive and no tracking issues at all. I'm about to buy a Feickert Woodpecker just to test it (because my uncle will buy it from me if it doesn't solve the issue).

I use 1.25-1.3g on my SL-15/3012R and 1g anti skate. There is very slight mistracking on the toughest LPs only, usually soprano at beginning or end of the side. That cartridge does not track as well as the Colibri, but other than that, it is glorious. It has to be set up exactly and it really matters. Recheck alignment. If it is very slightly off, you will hear it.

The fact that you hear it with all cartridges makes me wonder. It is likely something else that I can not think of. Perhaps start a new thread and some vinyl expert like ddk might see it and have an idea.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I use 1.25-1.3g on my SL-15/3012R and 1g anti skate. There is very slight mistracking on the toughest LPs only, usually soprano at beginning or end of the side. That cartridge does not track as well as the Colibri, but other than that, it is glorious. It has to be set up exactly and it really matters. Recheck alignment. If it is very slightly off, you will hear it.

The fact that you hear it with all cartridges makes me wonder. It is likely something else that I can not think of. Perhaps start a new thread and some vinyl expert like ddk might see it and have an idea.

Good idea. I'm wondering if it's because I'm on wall shelf and the torque of the motor is causing vibrations and tracking issues?

Reactions: mtemur

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Arm board aint flat?

I really like my sl15 too. So good to hear that it can be repaired if my housekerper gets it.

Ps! I track my sl15 at 2g but its the ell version which is higher output, more windings, and stiffer than the standard version. No mistracking.

Pps! Wanna sell those diatones?

Agrail

Nov 26, 2019
Good idea. I'm wondering if it's because I'm on wall shelf and the torque of the motor is causing vibrations and tracking issues?

If you have tried a number of arms + carts and ruled out any potential speaker crossover / tweeter issues with another source, my first thought would be to focus on the idler wheel.

The short film below (It's out of context but the function is pertinent) illustrates basic idler maintenance. If the idler wheels surface has hardened or polished it may be causing 'slip' which can create wow / flutter / changes in pitch in the higher register.

Cleaning the pulley and the inner running face of the platter with isopropyl / lint free cloth is critical too.

If the idler wheel is loose in the bushes (You can rock it with an alternating motion with your fingers on the periphery)... This can also cause the idler to 'ride' .... another cause of Wow / Flutter. If the idler bushes are too tight / misaligned there will also be issues - It should be very free spinning and cruise to a gentle stop... (Again this film was made for another purpose but it does illustrate a true running idler) See below:

Should none of the above assist, I'd look at the main bearing / motor coil issues.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Arm board aint flat?

I really like my sl15 too. So good to hear that it can be repaired if my housekerper gets it.

Ps! I track my sl15 at 2g but its the ell version which is higher output, more windings, and stiffer than the standard version. No mistracking.

Pps! Wanna sell those diatones?
Ha! Nope, not for sale! Ever....

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm going to look at the armboard today. It is the weakest part of the plinth design because even though it's rectangular, it's held on with only two screws instead of 4 for some reason.... so it could actually be tilted.

chet atkins

Jan 25, 2021
By the way, I had the SL15 the housekeeper accidentally broke retipped by Joseph Long and it sounds exactly the same as my near NOS one. I'm very impressed by his work.
Do you use the plastic SPU type headshell with the sl 15?

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I've used a few but I like the full SPU style one the best. I also bought an ebony SPU style headshell for my Royal N and I use that too sometimes with the SL15 but I think lighter tracks better.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020

It's actually a tweeter! Oh no!

I finally isolated the problem. Never occurred to me that it could be a speaker issue but when something is close to distorting on an LP, the right tweeter can't handle it and it distorts. That's why I thought it happened on digital too the time I checked but then dismissed it. It's on recordings that aren't particularly great. They sound a little edgy on headphones but distort on that one speaker.

Also it doesn't happen below a low-medium listening level.

This is going to be fun to fix or replace....

Reactions: Agrail

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Great to have solved the mystery! Calling the Diatone Doctor ;)

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Great to have solved the mystery! Calling the Diatone Doctor ;)
I'm not a doctor but I played one today!

Took the tweeter apart and there was screw missing from the outer ring around the cone. Trip to the hardware store to get it. The screw section of the hardware store gives me way too much pleasure.

Cleaned everything. Put it back. Distortion gone... for now!

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020

Have you tried the S15-T? It's an SL15 with a built in SUT. Pretty amazing. I'm playing it right now using the Lamm LP2.1 but skipping the preamp and going into a Scott 222C integrated (while my amp is out being fixed) and I'm just blown away. This one popped up for $300 on USAudioMart in the middle of the night. Thank God for my insomnia!

IMG_0965.jpeg

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Have you tried the S15-T? It's an SL15 with a built in SUT. Pretty amazing. I'm playing it right now using the Lamm LP2.1 but skipping the preamp and going into a Scott 222C integrated (while my amp is out being fixed) and I'm just blown away. This one popped up for $300 on USAudioMart in the middle of the night. Thank God for my insomnia!

View attachment 106240

Nice. That Scott is real nice too. I try to grab them, Eico 81's and a few others when I see them.

Reactions: Fishfood

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My EICO can throw an image with a pair of single driver speakers I have of jazz trumpet that is... unprecedented (speakers lack in other ways though). And that's with a cheap TT.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Received my Jean Nantais The Ultimate in beautiful California Burl.
Still fine tuning and learning it.
Very different from my CSPort!
C71BDAE3-C32A-42C0-AC51-5CAFE538EDF8.jpeg

EE723E6E-EBD0-4E6D-89C0-64D212C0063D.jpeg

3D12E44C-70C1-4ED0-8372-C365B2E85BF5.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing