In praise of idlers

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Have a healthy collection of idlers, here’s my main ivory rimless GB

After general maintenance was completed, the new CTC custom bearing was installed and power is provided by one of Nigel’s power supplies…

Bokrand BA 309 Banana arm, new design, 103M, Altec Peerless 4629 SUT
ATP 16 arm with an upgraded 103R into a RCA MI 12399 SUT
Also use a Karmadon 108 with a VAS basic 103

View attachment 111406
View attachment 111396 View attachment 111397 View attachment 111398 View attachment 111404
Look at that loverly Dynaco!! Beautiful set-up.

Reactions: Adnick

Adnick

Feb 1, 2023
Look at that loverly Dynaco!! Beautiful set-up.
Thanks very much, rebuilt all of the Dynaco’s myself with premium parts from Tubes 4 Hifi (VTA), ST 70 & MKIIIs

Andy

Reactions: Robert Young

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
My Garrard 401 has arrived. I am now waiting for my two tonearms. I won't be using the SME.

Attachments

• IMG_8787.JPG
    IMG_8787.JPG
    653.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8786.JPG
    IMG_8786.JPG
    692.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8784.jpg
    IMG_8784.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 38

Adnick

Feb 1, 2023
My Garrard 401 has arrived. I am now waiting for my two tonearms. I won't be using the SME.
Looks fantastic, what arms are you going to moun?

VR
Andy

Reactions: kodomo

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Looks fantastic, what arms are you going to moun?

VR
Andy
Bokrand Ortofon Dava for 12"
I am seriously considering the Supatrac Blackbird for the 9" slot

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Supatrac looks amazing. I've ordered a 9"...and since I have a Bokrand already (and a Schroeder Reference) it should be a good shoot-out across a very wide price delta.
Great, I will be waiting to hear from you about the Supatrac 9". What are the cartridges you plan to mount?

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
As a “collector” of vintage MM and MI cartridges (my wife calls it “hoarding”), and the beginnings of a classic MC collection, I have a few old-timers i’d like to try out, including a Stanton 881s, a Pickering XSV-3000, a B&O MMC2 and SP-12 (w/ sapphire cantilever and Fritz Geiger stylus), and a Sonus Blue Gold(or is it Gold Blue?). I’m going to try the Allaerts (MC-1b) that homesteads the Schroeder Reference (a remarkable synergy there) just to compare, but i have a feeling that it will really like a Monster Sigma Genesis 2000 that i’m having rebuilt.

Thanks to Erik (Solypsa), i’ve had the chance over the last few weeks to listen to the Tedeska, which very well might be the best cartridge i’ve ever heard. If i can stop buying (hoarding) batches of upper-mid-fi vintage carts, i may purchase one, though i also really want to try the DaVa field coil too….
The arm will be the “daily driver” on a new Lenco L75 build, but i will design a mount that lets me easily transfer it to my TD 124.

One day I’ll just stop fiddling and listen.

saberger0311

Jan 15, 2022
Don't come around these parts very often, but found this thread and wanted to show off my new to me Sparta TC-12. My idler history has been mostly Dual's, Miracords, and Garrard Lab 80's. Also have a Thorens TD 124. But this one is on a different level. Absolutely pounds the music home. Having a blast going through my collection.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Don't come around these parts very often, but found this thread and wanted to show off my new to me Sparta TC-12. My idler history has been mostly Dual's, Miracords, and Garrard Lab 80's. Also have a Thorens TD 124. But this one is on a different level. Absolutely pounds the music home. Having a blast going through my collection.

Yes, stick shift is the way to travel

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Might as well admit that I also got this L75/S from the same seller. My first Lenco.

Beautiful! Very underrated tables against the big boyz, but when tweaked up they can be great. I assume you’ve been to the Lenco Heaven site…lots of tips and some amazing one-offs by members of one of the generally better behaved groups of audio lovers on the ‘net. My best table for PRaT and powerful drive is an L75 with the PTP 6 mod on a slate base…a touch better all around than my near perfect TD 124 (which i really love). And i’ve heard fully restored Lencos without any tweaks at all outperform many 4-figure belt drives!

saberger0311

Jan 15, 2022
Beautiful! Very underrated tables against the big boyz, but when tweaked up they can be great. I assume you’ve been to the Lenco Heaven site…lots of tips and some amazing one-offs by members of one of the generally better behaved groups of audio lovers on the ‘net. My best table for PRaT and powerful drive is an L75 with the PTP 6 mod on a slate base…a touch better all around than my near perfect TD 124 (which i really love). And i’ve heard fully restored Lencos without any tweaks at all outperform many 4-figure belt drives!
This one was restored very nicely by the seller. I'm a member at the Lenco forums and very much aware of the various mods available, but for now I'm very happy with the table as is. The seller completely disassembled, cleaned, polished, and reassembled with appropriate lubricants. The top plate was resprayed in blue automotive paint and clear coat. The motor was serviced, re lubricated. An Audiosilente idler wheel was installed and speed adjusted. The stock plinth was modified by adding additional height and several layers of mdf were added internally to add weight. RCA and grounding jacks were also installed and the table was bolted down to the plinth. This table sounds amazing, and I could not be more satisfied.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
This one was restored very nicely by the seller. I'm a member at the Lenco forums and very much aware of the various mods available, but for now I'm very happy with the table as is. The seller completely disassembled, cleaned, polished, and reassembled with appropriate lubricants. The top plate was resprayed in blue automotive paint and clear coat. The motor was serviced, re lubricated. An Audiosilente idler wheel was installed and speed adjusted. The stock plinth was modified by adding additional height and several layers of mdf were added internally to add weight. RCA and grounding jacks were also installed and the table was bolted down to the plinth. This table sounds amazing, and I could not be more satisfied.

Fantastic! What name do you use on LH?

Reactions: saberger0311

BillWojo

Jun 11, 2015
Burlington, NJ
Love the Sparta, looks like a Russco CueMaster.
Adnick and I have Russco Studio Pro Model B tables that have been gone through top to bottom and sit in custom plinths made by master woodworker Adnick.
There is a huge post on AudioKarma about our builds in the Turntable subforum. I was looking for a more affordable approach to a high end idler than the Garrards and Thorens route, the massive build quality of the Russco tables really grabbed me and the stick shift sealed the deal. Plus the low cost of entry ensured that others could and have followed our path.
For anyone interested in an affordable DIY idler drive that rocks, check out our builds.

BillWojo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing