In search of the best rca cable

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marty, check out the red and black Magma emblem next to the Crimson King.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Zappadaddy ... my system is wired with MIT Oracle SC and MA IC. The MA-X is better and since my cables are a bit older now the newer generation is definitely better ... also very expensive for sure but I had a full Shunyata loom before with Anaconda IC and Sigma SC and the MIT was better in every way in my system. That said I have a friend who has Shunyata in his system and we agreed the Shunyata had better synergy with his system so definitely try several cables out before you buy. Good Luck and let us know what you decide!

George

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Zappa, scores of audiophiles have listened to dozens of cable brands but describing their sound is only as useful as understanding the system in which they are being evaluated. In other words, what works for someone else is not necessarily useful for you. The best way to find your ideal cable is to try them in your system. That's easy to do with resources like the Cable Company who have a huge lending library. So many good ones to try. You've named several very expensive cable brands, I'd encourage you to try some far less expensive cables as well. Keep in mind that many of the recording studios and record companies that make the music you are listening to produce their products using cables such as Mogami and other industry standard products that are extremely affordable. You may be pleasantly surprised to learn that it might be more productive to spend the big dollars elsewhere in your system.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hm, I thought they are people here owning extraordinary systems?

Are you flippin serious? Many SOTA systems on this site with many different wires. Some budget and some pricey. High price doesn't guarantee system synergy and musicality. To state the obvious, it's all subjective and there is no best. On a more positive note, if you want to audition a wide variety of cables in all price ranges, contact The Cable Company. They have a massive "lending library" for audition.

Last edited:
Reactions: audioquest4life

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Are you flippin serious? Many SOTA systems on this site with many different wires. Some budget and some pricey. High price doesn't guarantee system synergy and musicality. To state the obvious, it's all subjective and there is no best. On a more positive note, if you want to audition a wide variety of cables in all price ranges, contact The Cable Company. They have a massive "lending library" for audition.
did I say pricey? No, I said extraordinary

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Really????????? Maybe I misunderstood. Please reread your opening post.

You mention Ansuz, Stealth Indra, MIT Oracle Max, Nordost Odin, Transparent Opus, and Synergistic Galileo. You stated "any thoughts or experience with these hi end cables". If these aren't "pricey", please tell me what is.

Last edited:

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I did not think I will have to explain why I like to purchase cable which is adequate to my equipment. I did not expect somebody will get offended by that. Sorry I did my best to safe money on cables, believe me. The Cable company is not in Europe so I do not have that luxury to try cables like some of you guys in USA. Anyway finaly I bought Ansuz C2, I could not return it, it is so good. It cost a lot of money but it is definately worth it. "Music is the best"

Reactions: knghifi

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Glad you like your Ansuz and you should buy what's best for your system. Too bad Cable Company is not available in Europe. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Could be a real business opportunity.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I did not think I will have to explain why I like to purchase cable which is adequate to my equipment. I did not expect somebody will get offended by that. Sorry I did my best to safe money on cables, believe me. The Cable company is not in Europe so I do not have that luxury to try cables like some of you guys in USA. Anyway finaly I bought Ansuz C2, I could not return it, it is so good. It cost a lot of money but it is definately worth it. "Music is the best"
Congratulations on your cable! Cable is a sensitive subject. Perfectly OK to spend stupid money on amps, TT, speakers .... but your intelligence is questioned on expensive cables.

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
You are on the right track IMO. Stay with at least some Ansuz cabling and their power conditioner (s). If you run into" too much brightness", or the like, get a product such as the Akiko Audio Corelli. I have one and I had to turn the volume up a bit, but no brightness or edge. Just fuller and more musical.
I also have an MIT Oracle interconnect. It does its magic best with a solid state sending component. The next component downstream can be SS or tubed equipment. I find the MIT Oracle very even in dynamics from low to high frequencies, and sounding less like "wire", if you know what I mean. I can't afford all MIT Oracle at this time, so I use what I have from DAC to Preamp. Hope this is helpful!
BTW: Hemmingway, Skogrand and Goebel are horribly priced. They will gladly transfer lots of money from your bank account to theirs. Lots of cable makers are copying this tier bracket pricing. Good luck.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
You are on the right track IMO. Stay with at least some Ansuz cabling and their power conditioner (s). If you run into" too much brightness", or the like, get a product such as the Akiko Audio Corelli. I have one and I had to turn the volume up a bit, but no brightness or edge. Just fuller and more musical.
I also have an MIT Oracle interconnect. It does its magic best with a solid state sending component. The next component downstream can be SS or tubed equipment. I find the MIT Oracle very even in dynamics from low to high frequencies, and sounding less like "wire", if you know what I mean. I can't afford all MIT Oracle at this time, so I use what I have from DAC to Preamp. Hope this is helpful!
BTW: Hemmingway, Skogrand and Goebel are horribly priced. They will gladly transfer lots of money from your bank account to theirs. Lots of cable makers are copying this tier bracket pricing. Good luck.
Have you listened to Hemingway cables? The top of the line models are obscenely expensive because of the gold content but the 2nd level Hemingway Z-Core Beta for example are more musical to my ears than any Ansuz model I've heard, and comparably priced. Ansuz are better than their Nordost ancestors but still a little lean for my tastes.

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
Have you listened to Hemingway cables? The top of the line models are obscenely expensive because of the gold content but the 2nd level Hemingway Z-Core Beta for example are more musical to my ears than any Ansuz model I've heard, and comparably priced. Ansuz are better than their Nordost ancestors but still a little lean for my tastes.
I have not tried Hemingway cables. I saw the price and ran. Then I saw the review at Stereo Times. I don't fully trust reviewers.
Gold containing cables seem to come and go. I've tried Gabriel Gold, Silnote and some Bybee products. Gold tends to darken the sound and can have a fog like presentation rather than crisp and clear. Works good for me on passive power conditioners such as Nordost QX4. Using gold in a cable sure does take experimenting by the makers. I bought some from a jeweler and tried it in the signal path before and after the coupling capacitors. I did not like it there, nor did I like pure silver. Copper sounded the best by itself.
With that mentioned, I would stay with Ansuz on the power side, other brands for interconnects.
Check Stereo Times for the brand of speaker cable liked more than Hemingway. It is a recent review.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I have not tried Hemingway cables. I saw the price and ran. Then I saw the review at Stereo Times. I don't fully trust reviewers.
Gold containing cables seem to come and go. I've tried Gabriel Gold, Silnote and some Bybee products. Gold tends to darken the sound and can have a fog like presentation rather than crisp and clear. Works good for me on passive power conditioners such as Nordost QX4. Using gold in a cable sure does take experimenting by the makers. I bought some from a jeweler and tried it in the signal path before and after the coupling capacitors. I did not like it there, nor did I like pure silver. Copper sounded the best by itself.
With that mentioned, I would stay with Ansuz on the power side, other brands for interconnects.
Check Stereo Times for the brand of speaker cable liked more than Hemingway. It is a recent review.
Hemingway Z-Core Beta AC cable, which I found used for $2.5K is a revelation in my system. Not dark at all, and the fastest, most articulate, most musical and alive-sounding power cord I've ever heard.
Note that there is aldo a rave review of an older model at Soundstage Network.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Interesting review of another cable that like the Hemingway uses gold and silver alloy conductors and their own make connectors. I haven't heard Fono Acoustico but the description of their sound compared with Audience Front Row sounds like the difference I hear between Hemingway and Ansuz, except I hear no loss of speed or definition with the Hemingway - quite the opposite:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing