Insurance for large system

Wow, garbage only? Who pays for the roads, parks, and schools in your town?

I was exaggerating. Obviously the property taxes pay for more than municipal garbage pick-up.

Lola is home-schooled, so being able to go to LA public school doesn't help us at all.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
$67,000

And, unlike where Al lives, the Los Angeles Police Department response time here is so slow, they don't bother even to send police anymore -- they just send the undertaker. So basically I am paying $1,300 per week for garbage pick-up.
...and for paying for your neighbor's kid to go to Beverly Hills public schools.

FWIW our homeowner's umbrella policy is 8K/year and covers replacement value for anything but also has a 10K deductible.
As far as property taxes, NJ sucks but Ron has me beat by quite a bit, which I didn't think was possible.:confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick
...and for paying for your neighbor's kid to go to Beverly Hills public schools.

Lola would have to go to City of Los Angeles public schools, not City of Beverly Hills public schools. At least if I were in City of Beverly Hills I would have the benefit of a fantastic police department with amazing response times.

This is a little known fact outside of locals who live here, but many of the most expensive homes in "Beverly Hills" are in what is called "Beverly Hills Post Office." This means a home is located physically in the City of Los Angeles, but has a 90210 Beverly Hills ZIP Code.

For example, Beverly Park, a gated community where Denzel Washington, Rod Stewart, Sylvester Stallone, and many, many other celebrities live, is actually in City of Los Angeles, not City of Beverly Hills. City of Beverly Hills typically ends only about 1/3 of the way up the mountains above Sunset Boulevard. As you ascend the hill the dividing line usually is easy to identify, as the asphalt pavement transitions abruptly from glass smooth (Beverly Hills) to 1945 Dresden (City of LA).

PS: The cognoscenti know that it actually is Holmby Hills (just West of Beverly Hills), rather than Beverly Hills, that has some of the biggest, fanciest homes.

Last edited:
I’ve had State Farm for over 30 years. What drew me to them was the Actual cash replacement value Years ago after returning home from a vacation we found our home has been robbed and many of my electrical components in my system were stolen I recall that one piece I had was no longer made but was replaced by a unit costing twice as much. The insurance replaced it with the more expensive piece
Steve, that is very reassuring. Thank you. I have called many times over the years and the local business (State Farm) has had a couple of ownership swaps. I have been reassured the same thing from every rep/owner but always wondered what would happen "if". Your comments really put me at ease. Thank you for letting us/myself know.

I have State Farm and have for a long time (couldn't even guess the amount of years/decades) and every time I have needed them for something? I was expecting the worst and was always (without exception) been pleasantly surprised.

About 2 decades ago, give or take, I got a ticket for running a red light (deserved). First ticket since I was 20 years old. My first thought was that they would raise my insurance. Nope. The premium didn't go up a penny. Same thing when the wife got into an accident that wasn't her fault. The vehicle was totaled. They did us right and once again, the premiums did not go up. Both instances, I just "knew" they would go up, based upon other folk's experience with other companies.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I'll say it again though. I really do appreciate you saying what you did about how they treated you with replacement cost. I had my red flag flying high but you just lowered that flag significantly.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing