Interview with Roger Sanders

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
"In today's amplifiers, the distortion from a Class A amplifier is no lower than in a Class AB amplifier. So there is absolutely no reason to use Class A anymore. I therefore use Class AB -- as do all other manufacturers of quality amplifiers."

Doesn't think much of Nelson Pass I guess

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had a nice conversation with him at RMAF, I liked him and his speakers for those who like panels.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The good think about such a long list is that anyone can find something he agrees with. I loved this one:

14) Classical music or studio recorded music. What do you see as ultimate test for ultra high-end?

The most difficult test of an audio system is a full symphony orchestra. No other type of music can stress it to the same degree. So when evaluating the performance of an audio system, I always want to hear full symphony. Of course, I listen to other music as well, but if you must pick the most revealing and difficult music, a symphony orchestra recording is essential

And I deeply disagree with:
(...) Finding well-recorded music is very difficult. There is very little of it. But you must search for it to get excellent sound.

I consider that most of the music I buy is well recorded and rewards me with excellent sound quality.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
He also said you couldn't tell a digital feed from the live performance.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
He also said you couldn't tell a digital feed from the live performance.

It appears that you misread. He said 'live microphone' -- huge difference:

""When digital recording became available, it was finally possible to make perfect recordings. Nobody can hear any difference between a live microphone feed and a recording of it."

He also says elsewhere that live performance is still superior to any audio system.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

He also says elsewhere that live performance is still superior to any audio system.

That's sure putting your neck on the line!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
From the interview:

"But the results of most audiophile subjective testing is variable and uncertain. So different listeners come to different conclusions about what they hear. As a result, there is very little agreement about the quality of the performance of audio equipment.

"Why is this so? We all hear in a similar way, so what is going on with subjective listening tests that is so confusing?"

Here Sanders makes a fundamental mistake when he says, 'we all hear in a similar way". This is clearly not correct. My ears for example are very sensitive to reproduction of microdynamics, which to me very much decide about the liveliness of music, while another person will not be able to live without grand reproduction of scale. For me personally, microdynamics is more important than scale, and I chose my components accordingly, with the compromises that this entails and which I am well aware of (only at a very high price can you have both great microdynamics and scale). Another person will choose differently. This also extends to listening preferences for live music. While I prefer to sit in the front of a concert hall, another person will prefer a perspective from further back. The preferences regarding audio will be made accordingly.

So no, contrary to Sanders' claims, we emphatically do not all hear in a similar way: while the initial physical perception of sound waves by our ears and brains may be similar, the prioritizing of subjective listening preferences by our minds, also informed by our musical preferences, is not. Hence our different opinions about high-end gear (the fact that system and room set-up also play a role in evaluations and differing opinions that result from these is another matter).

Jonathan90

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I applaud Sanders integrity - his extensive technical research/experience with Hybrid Stats may be unequalled - when combined with total control over electronics and build these speakers may be the best of its kind at this time - applied future technologies can only improve them - the system’s attributes and flexibility correlates perfectly with my overall view for long term system requirements.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

""When digital recording became available, it was finally possible to make perfect recordings. Nobody can hear any difference between a live microphone feed and a recording of it." (...)

A commonly seen, but IMHO misleading statement - admitting that a live microphone feed in typical studio conditions is the supreme quality test signal in sound reproduction. Sound reproduction is much more than reproducing the microphone feeds.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
??? You're not going to do any better than the mic feeds as far as matching the source. There are mixing and mastering operations, but as far as accuracy I think the mic feeds are where it starts for reproduction. That is not the same as the live source, of course, but that is what the reproduction system has as a starting point.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
IME there's often A LOT that needs to be done to a solo mic feed to make it sound anything like the real thing. It sounds good in theory though but nah.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I don't think we're talking about everything that is done after, just accuracy to the source? I certainly agree most mic feeds do not sound "live" without post-processing, but if you perfectly match the mic feed then everything after follows. I think we're crossing wires, I'll step out.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IME there's often A LOT that needs to be done to a solo mic feed to make it sound anything like the real thing. It sounds good in theory though but nah.

Surely. And this LOT should be reproduced in a way it recreates in your system the intentions of the artist or the real thing. And this is the challenging part of sound reproduction - achieving this task with a system that has intrinsic limitations.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's A LOT to be done with the mic before even getting a decent mic feed not just after. IMO it is a gross oversimplification that makes for a good sound bite but can be very misleading because of its narrowness.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I haven't read the interview , yet. I certainly will. I applaud Sanders and share some of his opinions, obviously not his knowledge. He reminds of another brilliant Engineer, John Dunleavy who did produce superlative products but whose ideas and frankness were not appreciated by many audiophiles who seem to prefer a more obscure and mysterious approach.

His designs seem to be the real deal, often forgotten by audiophiles in the discussions of great systems, yet for most who have heard his systems (yes he takes a system approach to things audio) they are as good as they get and that for a rather (in High End terms) modest cash outlay, which in our crooked galaxy tend to diminish the worth of a component (thus the hated by me "For its price, qualifier/diminutive"). I wish him great success and will make all possible efforts to audition his system. I regularly forget his products in my search for my next system. Such omission will/should not be repeated

Keep the good work Roger!

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I haven't read the interview , yet. I certainly will. I applaud Sanders and share some of his opinions, obviously not his knowledge. He reminds of another brilliant Engineer, John Dunleavy who did produce superlative products but whose ideas and frankness were not appreciated by many audiophiles who seem to prefer a more obscure and mysterious approach.

His designs seem to be the real deal, often forgotten by audiophiles in the discussions of great systems, yet for most who have heard his systems (yes he takes a system approach to things audio) they are as good as they get and that for a rather (in High End terms) modest cash outlay, which in our crooked galaxy tend to diminish the worth of a component (thus the hated by me "For its price, qualifier/diminutive"). I wish him great success and will make all possible efforts to audition his system. I regularly forget his products in my search for my next system. Such omission will/should not be repeated

Keep the good work Roger!

Agree with you, Frantz. Iconoclast is a term that springs to mind

His systems are amazingly good at any price and astounding value at the price he sells them

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
2) What drew you to the high-end industry?

I have never been drawn to the high-end industry. In fact, I am repelled by it. It is full of deceit and dishonest manufacturers and businessmen who are only interested in stealing money from gullible audiophiles. I very much dislike being associated with such unethical behavior.

I believe in being honest with my customers and providing truly superb products at reasonable prices -- something that is largely absent in high-end audio. Unfortunately, most of my potential customers are involved in high-end audio, therefore I am forced to be involved with it

3) Would you consider yourself as an audiophile?

No, I am not an audiophile. I am a concert musician, scientist, and engineer.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
2) What drew you to the high-end industry?

I have never been drawn to the high-end industry. In fact, I am repelled by it. It is full of deceit and dishonest manufacturers and businessmen who are only interested in stealing money from gullible audiophiles. I very much dislike being associated with such unethical behavior.

I believe in being honest with my customers and providing truly superb products at reasonable prices -- something that is largely absent in high-end audio. Unfortunately, most of my potential customers are involved in high-end audio, therefore I am forced to be involved with it

3) Would you consider yourself as an audiophile?

No, I am not an audiophile. I am a concert musician, scientist, and engineer.

Sounds like the CEO of Lululemon.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/11/06/2902961/lululemon-thigh-gap/

Gosh, how do you put up with dealing with audiophiles? Guess he has no problem though taking their money? Guess he's a modern day Robin Hood.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Sounds like the CEO of Lululemon.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/11/06/2902961/lululemon-thigh-gap/

Gosh, how do you put up with dealing with audiophiles? Guess he has no problem though taking their money? Guess he's a modern day Robin Hood.

That's a little disingenuous isn't it Myles?
In my dealings with Roger I have found that indeed he is "honest with (his) customers and provides truly superb products at reasonable prices ".
I'm not sure how or why you read into that that he takes advantage of gullible audiophiles. Quite the opposite in fact.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's a little disingenuous isn't it Myles?
In my dealings with Roger I have found that indeed he is "honest with (his) customers and provides truly superb products at reasonable prices ".
I'm not sure how or why you read into that that he takes advantage of gullible audiophiles. Quite the opposite in fact.

Hardly to an unbiased observer...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing