Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
You ever have one of those days when everything is sounding right? I'm having one. I fired the system up at 5:30AM been listening all day in between repairing a set of old rocking chairs.
Its hard to imagine the Olympus propelling digital any further! It has some stiff competition, the Extreme! How frigging exciting! I just listened to Way Out West, Sonny Rollins from a Tidal Playlist With Roon. I can't imagine that track sounding any better streaming. I think we are in store for a lot of fun boys. I know some angst with all of us, but just imagine what's around the bend...

You ever have one of those days when everything is sounding right? I'm having one. I fired the system up at 5:30AM been listening all day in between repairing a set of old rocking chairs.
Its hard to imagine the Olympus propelling digital any further! It has some stiff competition, the Extreme! How frigging exciting! I just listened to Way Out West, Sonny Rollins from a Tidal Playlist With Roon. I can't imagine that track sounding any better streaming. I think we are in store for a lot of fun boys. I know some angst with all of us, but just imagine what's around the bend...
Touché That’s why IMHO patience is a virtue

The closer it gets to the 1st batch of the
Olympus being released the more anxious I get . I'm really looking forward to some reviews from new owners . I'm sure anyone that purchased a Oympus is also looking forward to this to ease there mind . It was a big upgrade for many and costly.

If I was a betting man, which I am, I think more than 'real good'. Please PM me for any potential wagers.
Hi Ctydwn, I like bets with good odds.

Count me in as well on the side of the "real good" outcome.

Given how exceptionally good even the Extreme sounds now, I'll take the other side of the "real bad" bet with pleasure.

Reactions: John T and ctydwn
You really have to be a “believer”, to after hearing how Extreme sounds after the new Backend of Setup 19, invest a large amount of money in the conviction that the new thing is going to be much better than the fantastic sound we already have, but well, THAT'S WHAT WE ARE.

If I was a betting man, which I am, I think more than 'real good'. Please PM me for any potential wagers
You really have to be a “believer”, to after hearing how Extreme sounds after the new Backend of Setup 19, invest a large amount of money in the conviction that the new thing is going to be much better than the fantastic sound we already have, but well, THAT'S WHAT WE ARE.
Many of the “believers” that have gone down the rabbit hole appear to be among the top 2% and for them any wager they’ve made on Emile/Taiko that in the end they don’t feel paid off will just put a check mark in the loss column and move on to Wadax. I don’t think there is too much concern for those individuals. That being said, we are all grown ups here, so it’s all good!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing