Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Taiko-Olympus-big-advert.png

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found a inconsistency in the internal pictures of Olympus.
The main big power supply has a big black capacitor on some pictures
and its missing in the other pictures.
Was that removed?
Why is that ?
This has not changed. The capacitor is still there, under the PCB on the left. You can see its screws. :)
TaikoAudio_JN_0226_1600pix.jpg
Naturally, there may be some changes if you are referring to earlier photos of prototypes and compare these to the final build.

Last edited:
Dear all, please find below an update on the Olympus shipping status.

We’re working closely with the aluminum supplier and anodizing company to solve the last remaining issues, but today, we’re still short on silver tops. However, there’s no shortage of silver bottoms, so we’re building large quantities of Olympus servers ahead in silver and black. This means that as soon as large quantities of tops arrive, we’ll be shipping a large volume of servers.

We will ship two silver servers, three black servers, and three black I/Os in the coming week, and six more servers are being prepared to ship as soon as we have received the tops.

Now that the holiday period is over, we are again fully staffed. In addition, we will get extra help in assembly, and we're working on further optimizing the production and assembly process.

We are now in a good position and fully committed to ramping up the production to produce more servers per week and fulfil the orders as soon as possible.
Thank you for the information. Hopefully you’ll be able to provide a weekly update along these lines.

Interesting that the bottoms and tops are being anodised separately rather than as matched sets.

Does the fact that there is a particular issue with the tops imply that cosmetic criteria for the bottoms are less stringent, for example because the sides, rear and underneath of the bottom piece may be less visible when the units are rack-mounted?

Or is it the case that the two pieces *are* anodised as a set and / or that something about the design of the top piece in particular means that it is harder to get the required standard of finish?

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio
We have been anodizing the tops and bottoms in pairs, but as it turns out, the tops' mass and structure pose different challenges in the process to achieve consistent results, which has led to the current imbalance in chassis parts. The Olympus' seamless two-part chassis design is unique, and exceptional, also when it comes to anodizing.

We have been anodizing the tops and bottoms in pairs, but as it turns out, the tops' mass and structure pose different challenges in the process to achieve consistent results, which has led to the current imbalance in chassis parts. The Olympus' seamless two-part chassis design is unique, and exceptional, also when it comes to anodizing.
Aha - yes, I wondered if that might be the case. Thank you for the clarification.

I know this is really late in the process but perhaps in the future you might consider a powder-coating process as an option. This would give you and your customers an almost limitless choice of colors if you so choose and is a very attractive finish. Even if you limited the choice of colors to minimize production costs it might avoid some of the pitfalls and quality issues of anodizing.

Here is one of my favorite power-coat finishes, Prismatic Universe:

Be sure to check out the Prismatic Universe gallery at the above URL.

Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 09.10.18.png

Here is a link to the line of Prismatic finishes:

Just a thought. Dare to be different!

Steve Z

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin
This has not changed. The capacitor is still there, under the PCB on the left. You can see its screws. :)
View attachment 136948
Naturally, there may be some changes if you are referring to earlier photos of prototypes and compare these to the final build.
I am talking about the one on the board.
It's NOT there.
But it is on your web page .

Attachments

• 20240928_184132.jpg
    20240928_184132.jpg
    854.5 KB · Views: 49
I know this is really late in the process but perhaps in the future you might consider a powder-coating process as an option. This would give you and your customers an almost limitless choice of colors if you so choose and is a very attractive finish. Even if you limited the choice of colors to minimize production costs it might avoid some of the pitfalls and quality issues of anodizing.

Here is one of my favorite power-coat finishes, Prismatic Universe:

Be sure to check out the Prismatic Universe gallery at the above URL.

View attachment 136968

Here is a link to the line of Prismatic finishes:

Just a thought. Dare to be different!

Steve Z

steve,
does that come with a lava lamp included in the price?

Dear all, please find below an update on the Olympus shipping status.

We’re working closely with the aluminum supplier and anodizing company to solve the last remaining issues, but today, we’re still short on silver tops. However, there’s no shortage of silver bottoms, so we’re building large quantities of Olympus servers ahead in silver and black. This means that as soon as large quantities of tops arrive, we’ll be shipping a large volume of servers.

We will ship two silver servers, three black servers, and three black I/Os in the coming week, and six more servers are being prepared to ship as soon as we have received the tops.

Now that the holiday period is over, we are again fully staffed. In addition, we will get extra help in assembly, and we're working on further optimizing the production and assembly process.

We are now in a good position and fully committed to ramping up the production to produce more servers per week and fulfil the orders as soon as possible.
Hi @Christiaan Punter ! Thanks for the update. 3 new Black? Does that mean 33B? Pretty sure I was the next in line for black.

To put the two KBL XDMI cables in perspective to my ears the uptick in SQ with the better KBL XDMI cable was as much as changing the Olympus power cord from a Chin Cheng to my Masterbuilt Ultra.
I agree with you whole heartedly on the KBL line of cables, Steve. It is the reason we chose this brand, which is not yet as known in the US to be the exclusive maker of the Lampizator XDMI link cable.

For those not familiar with KBL here is a review that just landed: https://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/...a_Pro2_Power_EXtrema_Digital_Cable_Review.htm

Another O and I/O installed. It took me about 1.5 hours from the driveway to playing music. Solo install:)

I am running the Analog out into a Kondo G1000 pre/Kondo Kagura amps/Alsyvox Caravaggio XX.

With the system and the O and I/O dead cold, the sound far surpasses what the Extreme sounded like, which sounded REALLY good. Especially the textures in the midrange and the harmonics off all of the instrument, especially strings.

The density of all images (voices/instruments) is uncanny.

Will report after a week of burning in, but I would be happy with what I am hearing now.

EDIT- After a few hours the soundstage is so big it's hard to comprehend. My speakers are 8 ft out into the room. The soundstage comes out in front of the speakers about three feet (depending on recordings) and then goes way back beyond the back wall. Layering all over the soundstage. La la land....
IMG_6854.jpegIMG_6860.jpegIMG_6861.jpeg

Last edited:
Can someone summarize pricing and if there is a trade discount for the Extreme? I saw this mentioned at the start of this thread but don’t want to read through 180 pages.
Thank you.

And is there an option to not have an internal DAC? I don’t think my DAC can be surpassed, nor do I want to replace it, so it would be great if there is a less expensive version of the Olympus with a digital (USB) output.

And is there an option to not have an internal DAC? I don’t think my DAC can be surpassed, nor do I want to replace it, so it would be great if there is a less expensive version of the Olympus with a digital (USB) output.

Hi Zeotrope :)

I wouldn’t be so certain, you might be surprised.

I believe it’s worth staying open to the possibility of unexpected outcomes.

I also own a DAC that’s quite well-regarded. Like yours, it’s Swiss, but from the German-speaking part of Switzerland ;)

Although I bought it new, at a considerable price, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to say it’s not as good as the small DAC in the Olympus. Or, to be more precise, not as good as the Olympus+XDMI+DAC combination.

In the end, what truly matters is music and the joy it brings us.

Cheers,

Thomas

Can someone summarize pricing and if there is a trade discount for the Extreme? I saw this mentioned at the start of this thread but don’t want to read through 180 pages.
Thank you.

Taiko Audio Olympus Server XDMI: €67K
(Includes XDMI analog output (RCA), USB Output, 3.84TB storage, and a flightcase)

You get full trade-in value for your Extreme. Send me your Extreme serial number in a private message and whether you have the Taiko NIC and Taiko USB card, and I will reply with the exact trade-in amount you get (between €20K and €28K).

If you decide to add the Olympus I/O to your Olympus server, that is another €22K.

Currently, the Olympus is only offered with XDMI included. Contact Taiko directly to see of they are willing to build one for you without XDMI, but you may regret that. So far, the built-in DAC (XDMI analog output) seems to easily outperform some of the best DACs on the market.

I believe the Taiko Olympus XDMI becomes a much sweeter deal if it outperforms a high-end DAC you have - sell the DAC, sell the USB cable, sell the power cord, you need one less power outlet, one less shelf, you significantly simplify your system, PLUS it sounds better, and you may end up with some cash in your pocket at the end.

Of course there is no guarantee it will outperform your DAC. But as more Olympus servers are being sent out, there will be more and more feedback on how it stacks to various other DACs. It will be extremely interesting to collect that feedback.

Last but not least, be aware of the lead time if you decide to place an order.

Another O and I/O installed. It took me about 1.5 hours from the driveway to playing music. Solo install:)

I am running the Analog out into a Kondo G1000 pre/Kondo Kagura amps/Alsyvox Caravaggio XX.

With the system and the O and I/O dead cold, the sound far surpasses what the Extreme sounded like, which sounded REALLY good. Especially the textures in the midrange and the harmonics off all of the instrument, especially strings.

The density of all images (voices/instruments) is uncanny.

Will report after a week of burning in, but I would be happy with what I am hearing now.

EDIT- After a few hours the soundstage is so big it's hard to comprehend. My speakers are 8 ft out into the room. The soundstage comes out in front of the speakers about three feet (depending on recordings) and then goes way back beyond the back wall. Layering all over the soundstage. La la land....
View attachment 137135View attachment 137136View attachment 137137

Glad to see you got your Olympus + I/O, Bob! Enjoy.
Olympus + Kondo + Caravaggio!!! OMG that must sound amazing!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu