Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m awaiting my Taiko switch, router and DCD and looking at rack space for the placement of these pieces.

Is anybody stacking the switch and router? Or the switch, router and DCD on top? If you’re stacking, are you using footers of some sort in between?
The units can be stacked, but we do not recommend placing them directly on top of each other with the standard footers. This can lead to scratches or a unit slipping off, leading to more scratches. The best way to securely couple them when stacking is by using a compliant material. However, that will not result in the best possible sound quality. So, if possible, it is best to set them up side by side or on their own individual level.

If you do choose to stack them using compliant material (Neoprene or rubber-like materials), then the top unit will be soft-coupled twice, which will have a larger impact on its sound. I've not yet experimented with this, so I would recommend simply trying both switch on top and router on top and going with the order that sounds best.

The units can be stacked, but we do not recommend placing them directly on top of each other with the standard footers. This can lead to scratches or a unit slipping off, leading to more scratches. The best way to securely couple them when stacking is by using a compliant material. However, that will not result in the best possible sound quality. So, if possible, it is best to set them up side by side or on their own individual level.

If you do choose to stack them using compliant material (Neoprene or rubber-like materials), then the top unit will be soft-coupled twice, which will have a larger impact on its sound. I've not yet experimented with this, so I would recommend simply trying both switch on top and router on top and going with the order that sounds best.
Thanks Christiaan for your response. I will be adding another Core Audio rack to the system which will allow me to set the router, switch and DCD all directly on a shelf. This is, clearly, the best configuration.

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
Thanks Christiaan for your response. I will be adding another Core Audio rack to the system which will allow me to set the router, switch and DCD all directly on a shelf. This is, clearly, the best configuration.
I discovered something interesting this morning. Audiobyte makes a 3-tier mini rack for their products.
audiobyte-superrack.jpg

audiobyte-superrack (1).jpg

audiobyte-superrack (2).jpg
I can't find the rack specs and dimensions, but I found the dimensions of the products that you see on the rack.
They are: 290 x 300 x 62 mm / (11.42 x 11.81 x 2.44 inch)
Taiko switch/router: 210 x 210 x 60 mm / (8.27 x 8.27 x 2.36 inch)

To put this into perspective, I scaled the dimensions of the switch / router / DCD, and this is what I got (red is the space the Taiko devices will occupy):
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 11.07.26 AM.png
Looks good to me. And given that the retail price is under $1000, I decided to order one to try it. This looks like a new product without too much info yet. I ordered mine through one of their US dealers.

Would love to have a special "Chicago HiFi" batch run in black if they sound good too :). Perhaps with four shelves, so there is a space for linear power supply on top.

Maybe that post belongs to another thread but wanted to post this under @fbhifi 's context.

I discovered something interesting this morning. Audiobyte makes a 3-tier mini rack for their products.
View attachment 126134

View attachment 126135

View attachment 126136
I can't find the rack specs and dimensions, but I found the dimensions of the products that you see on the rack.
They are: 290 x 300 x 62 mm / (11.42 x 11.81 x 2.44 inch)
Taiko switch/router: 210 x 210 x 60 mm / (8.27 x 8.27 x 2.36 inch)

To put this into perspective, I scaled the dimensions of the switch / router / DCD, and this is what I got (red is the space the Taiko devices will occupy):
View attachment 126139
Looks good to me. And given that the retail price is under $1000, I decided to order one to try it. This looks like a new product without too much info yet. I ordered mine through one of their US dealers.

Would love to have a special "Chicago HiFi" batch run in black if they sound good too :). Perhaps with four shelves, so there is a space for linear power supply on top.

Maybe that post belongs to another thread but wanted to post this under @fbhifi 's context.

thanks for posting this. i'm also looking for a 2nd small rack setup. however, if i use your numbers, there is only 2mm of vertical space here, so maybe there would be an air flow issue?

thanks for posting this. i'm also looking for a 2nd small rack setup. however, if i use your numbers, there is only 2mm of vertical space here, so maybe there would be an air flow issue?

No, it's not 2 mm. It's more like 20 mm from what I am seeing...
I could not find the rack specs anywhere online. What I found was the specs of the component inside the rack on the photo. That component has a height of 62 mm (i.e. it's 2 mm higher than the Taiko switch / router). And there is some space between this component and the upper shelf.

You can also see the red line - that's the interpolated dimension of the Taiko devices - there seems to be enough space... around 20 mm.

Actually from simple interpolation, I believe the spacing between the shelves is around 80 mm.

Now my guess is that it was not only a listening session for Stavros but so also an indoctrination into the world of XDMI for Aries Cerat DAC manufacturers. I really hope the all of the major DAC makers take this trip to OldenZaal and hear for themselves and get on board. The more the merrier.

Yes correct:

As a company, we do not see many actual innovations in music server technologies, however, Taiko Audio is a very different type of company, the type we really enjoy working with.

They are working on something really special and we decided to be early adopters of their truly new innovative transport technology protocol. Stay tuned for more announcements on this front.

That is indeed about adopting a native XDMI implementation for Aries Cerat DACs. We’re working out the details right now.

I would like to remind all users of Taiko switch, router & dc distributor of Christaan‘s write up of experiments with footers.
Do take footers seriously with Taiko switch, router, dcd.
I had them all sitting on an acrylic shelf of an old stillpoints ess rack on their copper feet.
Nicely rounded, massive, and Christiaan found them quite ok.
I felt safe, as Taiko had had these things on their original copper feet on acrylic shelves on demonstrations.
Sounded wonderful, but …. some attack was missing.Large scale dynamics had been more impressive before with Ediscreation switch on stillpoints ultra.

Ediscreation switch was removed from signal pathway. So I still had these fossil stillpoints ultra footers (some of us more pedestrian members here still use that old stuff).

I put them under the Taiko switch.
Oh, oh. Large scale dynamics back big time. Bass thrust and bass differentiations much, much better. The bass all others had enthused about was here now.
Wow.
A slight metallic taste in the highs disappeared within a day.
Microdynamic shadings more pronounced, as well.
As Christiaan had written, some of the magic, some of the organic feeling was diminished.

A more recent and presumably better stillpoints ess rack for all these boxes will be added soon. Maybe rail grids, too.

Stillpoints ultra ss are nowhere near cutting edge these days. Maybe I should have a look at those Ansuz thingies Christiaan did like a lot. They seem to work quite well on acrylic shelves.

I‘d like to read others‘ experiences with footers under switch/router/dcd, and I would like to encourage those of us who had not fooled around with these seemingly unimportant accessories up to now: do it, there is quite some potential, you might be surprised.

PS: No fearless Taikonaut has ever tried to put an Extreme into a stillpoints ess rack, no?

Last edited:
I would like to remind all users of Taiko switch, router & dc distributor of Christaan‘s write up of experiments with footers.
I had them all sitting on an acrylic shelf of an old stillpoints ess rack on their copper feet.
I felt safe, as Taiko had had these things on their original copper feet on acrylic shelves on demonstrations.
Sounded wonderful, but …. some attack was missing.Large scale dynamics had been more impressive before with Ediscreation switch on stillpoints ultra.

Ediscreation switch was removed from signal pathway. So I still had these fossil stillpoints ultra footers (some of the more pedestrian members here still use that old stuff).

Oh, oh. Large scale dynamics back big time. Bass thrust and bass differentiations much, much better. The bass all others had enthused about was here now.
Wow.
As Christiaan had written, some of the magic, some of the organic feeling was diminished.

A more recent and presumably better stillpoints ess rack for all these boxes will be added soon. Maybe rail grids, too.

Stillpoints ultra ss are nowhere near cutting edge these days. Maybe I should have a look at those Ansuz thingies Christiaan did like a lot. They seem to work quite well on acrylic shelves.

I‘d like to read others‘ experiences with footers under switch/router/dcd, and I would like to encourage those of us who had not fooled around with these seemingly unimportant accessories up to now: do it, there is quite some potential, you might be surprised.

PS: No fearless Taikonaut has ever tried to put an Extreme into a stillpoints ess rack, no?
Actually, unless age somehow changes the laws of physics if a Stillpoints Ultra once worked, it still works. You may prefer the sound of another brand of device, and there well may be more effective devices out there *for your unique system, floor, stand, application* and that is perfectly understandable. But I'm not aware of a shelf life associated with Stillpoints.

Steve "Pedestrian" Z

Reactions: John T and DW101
I think there is a misunderstanding.
I did not intend to say that stillpoints ultra stopped working.

I do agree, my stillpoints ultra footers will certainly live & work flawlessly much longer than I will.
They work pretty well, I like most things they do very much.
I invested in another stillpoints ess rack and consider to add their more recent footers.

Please read again my post.
Pedestrian? I had tried to make fun of myself, as I am still using them myself.
Cheers, Ulrich

I think there is a misunderstanding.
I did not intend to say that stillpoints ultra stopped working.

I do agree, my stillpoints ultra footers will certainly live & work flawlessly much longer than I will.
They work pretty well, I like most things they do very much.
I invested in another stillpoints ess rack and consider to add their more recent footers.

Please read again my post.
Pedestrian? I had tried to make fun of myself, as I am still using them myself.
Cheers, Ulrich

It's all good, Ulrich. I make fun of myself all the time.

PS: This Taikonaut actually lifted and put their Extreme on a Stillpoints ESS rack, all by myself. I was out of the emergency room in hardly any time at all!

Steve Z

Thx, Steve.

I think I will try to put the Extreme in a new ess rack, double width.
Did you use ultra footers on acrylic shelf or rail grid or ?
please let me know.
Cheers, Ulrich
No acrylic shelves here. I put additional Stillpoints Ultras on the rail grid and the Extreme on top of that.

Steve Z

Reactions: engadin

Ediscreation switch was removed from signal pathway. So I still had these fossil stillpoints ultra footers (some of us more pedestrian members here still use that old stuff).

Wow.

Hello
I tried TAIKO Switch and DC on wood platform and also acrylic. They work correctly but not at their best. The 3 brass feet rounded are quite good but I prefer to use HARMONIX bases. Bases have small but some damping with their materials, not a lot, just enough to prevent metal rinsing. That what happens with most if not all balls bearings systems. Balls are not mechanical diodes because by design they use ultra small contacts. They do no drain so much vibrations from the component to the floor / platform. This is why the emphasis midrange and offer a bit dry (audio) sound. Even if this is theory I tried many ball bearing systems and I do not recommend them, even the most expensive. As Christiaan had written, some of the magic, some of the organic feeling was diminished.
I also tried TAIKO Switch and DC on my audio stand with special aluminium platforms (high impedance and dead neutral with special treatment. The result is the same, just Harmonix base is fine, cones+ Bases is even better. I concluded equally with WEISS PSU 102 I use as transformer 230/12V before the TAIKO units. One of my customer still wanted to try STILLPOINTS big models and... he listen and sold them. The sound was leaner, more forward, with a bit of glare in upper mid.
Yes I am an HARMONIX dealer, but I precise that I used them for 20 years and then decide to represent the brand. All models are not perfect, but they conveys music better than other feet, cones, ... and I tested so much during 25 years, including when I was Professor in mechanical vibrations in an Engineers university.
The last word: acrylic is a self damping material that some brands uses to make platforms. On the positive side, they do not ring, on the negative side, damping ratio vs impedance is too high, so the sound is not as dynamic as it should especially with ultra rigid chassis that TAIKO produce. And Acrylic is very active with static charges, and audio components and cables sound much (much) better is you remove static charge before listening.
KR
Philippe

Dear Emile
Did you test the Olympus IO solution with more than 2 separate battery power supplys?
It looks like there is potential of further developement by having 3 or 4 separate battery packs for Olympus IO placed inside bigier Olympus chassis .
In This case there would be 2 identical bigger chassis.
each of the 4 battery packs would be powering separately each card and each pciexpress board.
Did you try to further split the IO part of the Olympus with 3 or 4 supplys ?
I was curious if This could potentially increase the performance or not ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing