Is High-end audio worth-it?

Are you suggesting that high end audio is wackier than some other hobby?

No doubt.

Just ask any non audio person type to read the threads and posts on this forum and watch their eyes roll into the back of their head.

Cars, boats, etc. have some rational nexus (price) to determine value that most folks can understand, even if they can't afford it.

This hobby? Forget it.

GG

No doubt.

Cars, boats, etc. have some rational nexus (price) to determine value that most folks can understand, even if they can't afford it.

GG
All of these have their head scratchers.
My BIL has been restoring a 40 Ford since his high school days. What he pays for authentic parts, since he competes in original classes, will make some of us here blush. It's relative.
On audio he's a Bose guy. Nothing wrong with that as it keeps him happy, til the next '40 part upgrade.

Last edited:
All of these have their head scratchers.
My BIL has been restoring a 40 Ford since his high school days. What he pays for authentic parts, since he competes in original classes, will make some of us here blush. It's relative.
On audio he's a Bose guy. Nothing wrong with that as it keeps him happy, til the next '40 part upgrade.

Definitely relative. Here are three more examples of hobbies that fall into the category of "Just because it's fun."

Jousting - breed your own ponies, suit up with custom armour and try to dismount your buddy from his steed. Dedicated horse ranch recommended. Watch out for that insurance premium too.

Koi - Ornamental Carp from Japan. Lovely creatures. A pond will cost you more than a professionally designed and built music room of the same volume. A champion fish can cost more than top of the line speakers of most companies. No stud income like you might have with other animals as far as I know.

Bench Rifles - Name of the game is uber-accuracy. They are called bench rifles because they are built and fired on custom bases. You can't carry one around unless you turn green when you are angry in which case you won't need a rifle, or accuracy. Cost of building just one would build you a heck of a system. Many enthusiasts have more than one gun.

No doubt.

Just ask any non audio person type to read the threads and posts on this forum and watch their eyes roll into the back of their head.

This hobby? Forget it.

GG

Truer words have never been spoken!

It's full of ritual, teeth gnashing, angst, desire, jealousy, denial, and sometimes a modicum of joy when the audio gods are all smiling on your system and its pouring forth beautiful music.

Well said MEP. Poetic actually.
Really, someone should put these words on the masthead.
Huh, we don't have a masthead?
Oh well.....

No doubt.

This hobby? Forget it.

GG

That all depends on how deep you dig. High end audio does not *have* to be expensive (herein lies a conversation about what defines high end audio of course, which IMO has more to do with intention than anything else as performance certainly is not the arbitrator) but as pointed out already you can spend a completely nonsensical amount on a stamp, a camera, a motorcycle part (name the rarest part of an Indian 841 shaft drive!), an automotive part, just the right year and style of Baylis Wiley track hub for your Robert Jackson track bike restoration- get my drift? We humans are funny that way.... I don't think high end audio holds any particular chutzpa in this regard.

What I perhaps failed to explain is the question of what defines value.

In all the examples cited above, there is a tangible object that one can see, touch and feel.

In audio, it's often about discussing a very intangible subject, that being the joy one experiences listening to music. Yes, you have material objects but I would venture to say that most audio folks don't specifically identify the objects when they are asked the question "WHY DID YOU BUY THIS" but the feeling the audio type has AS A RESULT OF THE PURCHASE(S).

One example. Since I haven't heard it I cannot comment about its efficacy but how do you explain to someone what a couple of odd looking ebony coat racks in the corners of your room DO for the $1,400 asking price.

Hi end audio certainly doesn't dominate in the "chutzpah" category but it's pretty far up the ladder.

Hope that helps.

GG

"Value" and any kind of hobby that caters to what most people consider "luxury items" just does not come into play for your average person. Audiophilia absolutely falls into the luxury goods realm, as does watch collecting, art, fountain pens, antique and sports cars, boats, exotic vacation travel, wine, and lots of others. We all know what is and isn't a luxury good just by its looks, smell, cost, and most definitely the audience that consumes it.

Doesn't mean that there isn't a value component to any of these, it's just that that value evaluation isn't within the reach or understanding of your typical middle class person.

Man you would not believe the rancor that goes on on the fountain pen collector sites!!

In audio, it's often about discussing a very intangible subject, that being the joy one experiences listening to music. Yes, you have material objects but I would venture to say that most audio folks don't specifically identify the objects when they are asked the question "WHY DID YOU BUY THIS" but the feeling the audio type has AS A RESULT OF THE PURCHASE(S).

Don't get me wrong- I totally get where you are coming from, but seriously how is that any different from the joy one experiences riding a motorbike that one restored from a box of parts? From experience I can tell you that the latter has nothing to do with how fast the bike can go.

Music is pretty important to me so I am involved in all aspects- I play in a band, run a recording studio, master LPs, design and build record and playback electronics, participate at shows, produce LPs, etc. Can't get enough. Its the emotional satisfaction that we each experience in our own ways that drives us, I think. I know an audiophile that does not collect recordings or even listen to his system. Instead, his particular 'thing' is the satisfaction of horse trading his equipment, something I don't get... We each experience it differently. Is it worth it? Sure thing!

Man you would not believe the rancor that goes on on the fountain pen collector sites!!

Don't get me wrong- I totally get where you are coming from, but seriously how is that any different from the joy one experiences riding a motorbike that one restored from a box of parts? From experience I can tell you that the latter has nothing to do with how fast the bike can go.

Music is pretty important to me so I am involved in all aspects- I play in a band, run a recording studio, master LPs, design and build record and playback electronics, participate at shows, produce LPs, etc. Can't get enough. Its the emotional satisfaction that we each experience in our own ways that drives us, I think. I know an audiophile that does not collect recordings or even listen to his system. Instead, his particular 'thing' is the satisfaction of horse trading his equipment, something I don't get... We each experience it differently. Is it worth it? Sure thing!

I watched your video on the making of the 60, great take! congrats!

Ok, Ralph is right on.

The joy I received when I caught an 18" trout on a flyrod I built with a fly I tied and designed myself was as good or better than my current system's best day. It will be a memory snapshot as I pass to the other side on that final day.

There is richness to life's pursuits. Audio is but one of them.

Ok, Ralph is right on.

The joy I received when I caught an 18" trout on a flyrod I built with a fly I tied and designed myself was as good or better than my current system's best day. It will be a memory snapshot as I pass to the other side on that final day.

There is richness to life's pursuits. Audio is but one of them.

Fond memories of numerous pack trips into the Wind River Range in Wyoming over the last 30 years. Eating trout that you landed earlier in the day. One of life's simple but exquisite pleasures.

GG

Well said MEP. Poetic actually.
Really, someone should put these words on the masthead.
Huh, we don't have a masthead?
Oh well.....

I have had only brief episodes when I experienced much angst due to the hobby. The most severe one was at the beginning of my audiophile journey when within a few years I had four CD players wander through my system(s). After having settled on a Wadia 8/12 combo and my current amps and speakers I have been happy with my system and experienced much joy with it for almost 20 years and have had added only some modifications to my amps and speakers, and midway incorporated a REL subwoofer that I still own. The last two years have been busy again with upgrades, but most of it has been additions (room treatment, external power supplies for amps) and only one substitute upgrade, the DAC (I don't count the switch from my old Wadia 8 transport as an upgrade, since on the Berkeley DAC the new unit sounds the same and was only necessary because the 20 year old Wadia 8 had started to have problems, with no spare parts being available anymore). Here every upgrade has been a definite winner.

I have avoided a lot of angst by deliberately missing out on the format wars, in hindsight now an even more fortunate decision than it seemed to me at the time when SACD was *the* hi-res thing. Not only did SACD turn out to be the flop that I predicted it would be, now it is superseded by 24/176 and 24/192, so why should I even have bothered. And while there are people who still hold that the hi-res formats are ssooo superior to CD, many audiophiles think differently. They assert that while it is true that they are of higher quality than CD, the differences are not huge, especially now that CD playback has made so much dramatic progress in recent years, and that quality of recording and mastering itself make a much bigger difference (witness many posts on this forum and comments elsewhere *)). Indeed, I get a stunning resolution from CD out of my Berkeley DAC that I would never have thought possible from the medium in my wildest dreams, and apparently the Berkeley DACs, as fantastic as it is in its own right, doesn't even reach the ceiling with CD. I just don't see any compelling reason to jump on hi-res since CD, where all the music is, has become so good, and comparatively very little music is available in hi-res, something that will never change. People who think otherwise are deluding themselves, just like they did about SACD. Sure, Sony has recently said they would open their vaults to all their hi-res but I believe it when I see it. Certainly, many CDs sound crappy, but this is not a problem of the CD medium itself but a result of the loudness wars, among others, and unlike others I am not much affected by this since most of my consumption is classical and classical avantgarde, where recordings on average actually have become better over the years -- most of my CDs sound very good and a good majority even sounds great.

Overall, since I am under no illusion that a stereo system will ever come close to live music, and I simply can enjoy all the exciting things that my system can provide instead (some recent inner unrest has died down once more), the audiophile hobby has brought me immeasurably much more joy over the years than teeth gnashing, angst, desire and jealousy.

*) also confirming what I have heard before, that often the difference in quality between CD and SACD simply comes down to better mastering of the latter and has little to do with the formats themselves

*) also confirming what I have heard before, that often the difference in quality between CD and SACD simply comes down to better mastering of the latter and has little to do with the formats themselves

In fact, I had heard this since the very first review of SACD by Martin Colloms in Hifi & Record Review in 1999 (or was it earlier?), which reported different frequency spectrographs for SACD and CD layers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing