Is it possible to use 2 audio devices simultaneously and hear these sounds on one headphone?

maramsp

May 28, 2023
Hello there!

I have bought a digital drum kit, but cause of it being digital, the expandibility is next to non existent, unless of buying another drum kit and place it next to each other.
But then you have the problem of having 2 drum modules, which then need to be connected to 1 headphone, and also having the ability to let the drum modules producing sound simultaneously and that the headphone lets me hear the sounds from both modules.

Ofcourse i have looked online to see if there are jack cables that are like having 2x male jacks, and then being converted to 1 female jack, in which i plug my headphone, however...
The cables that i have found are mentioning, that the 2x male jacks, are outputs, and that the female jack is input.

So, is it this simple that they also work the other way around?

Cause i saw online that it is possible to have 1 audio devices and then using 2 headphones on it, with 1 male jack and 2 females.

So, there seems to be cables that have 2 males, and 1 female, but should this work for me?

And if not, would there be another method to achieve my goal?

Thank you very much in advance!

Greetings from Martijn from the Netherlands.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello there!

I have bought a digital drum kit, but cause of it being digital, the expandibility is next to non existent, unless of buying another drum kit and place it next to each other.
But then you have the problem of having 2 drum modules, which then need to be connected to 1 headphone, and also having the ability to let the drum modules producing sound simultaneously and that the headphone lets me hear the sounds from both modules.

Ofcourse i have looked online to see if there are jack cables that are like having 2x male jacks, and then being converted to 1 female jack, in which i plug my headphone, however...
The cables that i have found are mentioning, that the 2x male jacks, are outputs, and that the female jack is input.

So, is it this simple that they also work the other way around?

Cause i saw online that it is possible to have 1 audio devices and then using 2 headphones on it, with 1 male jack and 2 females.

So, there seems to be cables that have 2 males, and 1 female, but should this work for me?

And if not, would there be another method to achieve my goal?

Thank you very much in advance!

Greetings from Martijn from the Netherlands.
Hi Martjin!
Mixing two signals by using a Y cable is rarely a good idea. It might (and probably will) damage the sources. WHat you do need is a mixer. Behringer makes some affordable and solid stuff, or you can go higher if you want of course.
Best!

Reactions: eskamobob1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing