Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Last thoughts and I’ll bow out.
1. You can’t buy a new V15.
2. Are the measurements done with damper up or down?
3. Does its mass and compliance match your arm?
4. And then there is the synergy or lack of synergy with the room and system.

I owned several. I loved them. I gave them away as presents to budding would be audiophile friends when they were $250 per unit.

I would not argue that those old cartridges weren’t wonderful for their day (3 to 4 decades ago).

But most people have moved on. And I have to admit that in my systems, the moves on were improvements.

YMMV
With alot of luck you get jico needles mr or sas sounds not so bad
orginal shure mesasurements
sounds good in infinty black widow tonearm i would call it a perfect match. 50k 270pf with tonearm wire
of course you develop further and that doesn't just apply to the cartridge. synergy is a catchphrase some cheaper carts from the past sound better than new ones from today. Back then there were cartridges that sounded better than today. Just listen to a shinon red or a supex 909. I have two healthy ears and I like listening to music, but neglecting technical data is like amputating one leg. You run better with two legs.

@godofwealth
I have a titan i love it too
Maybe i find a used clavis d.c.t for a upgrade to olympos. a dream cartridge...problem money

Last edited:

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Another recent review of a Lyra cartridge in HFN/RR — the Lyra Kleos SL. Sadly, the Lyra tradition of rising top continues unabated. I’m waiting for Lyra to design a ”flat” cartridge. Will they?

1684871513420.jpeg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Another recent review of a Lyra cartridge in HFN/RR — the Lyra Kleos SL. Sadly, the Lyra tradition of rising top continues unabated. I’m waiting for Lyra to design a ”flat” cartridge. Will they?

View attachment 110569

What about Koetsu? When are they going to design a cartridge that doesn't roll off at 2K?

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Agreed, you have a valid point. I think Koetsu is engineered to roll off highs but in a way that’s not too destructive to the music. It’s a personal preference — I’d rather have rolled off highs than exaggerated treble. Someone else might have the opposite preference. All said and done, I’d like flat response, superb tracking and low distortion, but that’s going to be a Shure V15, which are hard to get (but not impossible!).

Reactions: Lee

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Paul Seydor of TAS did a recent review of the Shure V15 xmr, which in my book is the best cartridge ever made for the price Shure asked for it. Its performance is stunning compared to the vast wasteland of vinyl cartridges. Everyone should try to acquire one just to calibrate your ears (just as everyone should own a Quad ESL 57 to remind oneself what a low distortion loudspeaker sounds like)

Folks complain the Shure sounds “dull”, just as they complain about the Quad 57. Yes, neutrality can be boring compared to the “excitement” of a Lyra with rising treble or one of those hyper bright B&W’s with metallic tweeters (I owned a pair for several years — wincing treble!). . But even if you prefer that, it’s good to remind oneself what tonal neutrality sounds like.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I owned many Shure V15 Type III cartridges or Type IV with original VN35E or VN35HE stylus. I never used an aftermarket stylus and got rid all vintage V15s in 2009. V15 is a very good cartridge but after all it’s MM. I never wanted to go back after being introduced to MC+SUT+Tube Phono.

IMHO If you want a great MM cartridge for a reasonable price try AT-VM95C or SH. Forget about the old cartridges which most certainly has a deteriorated suspension that won’t do it’s job on suspending cantilever and producing an artificial openness with the expense of tight bass.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Paul Seydor of TAS did a recent review of the Shure V15 xmr, which in my book is the best cartridge ever made for the price Shure asked for it. Its performance is stunning compared to the vast wasteland of vinyl cartridges. Everyone should try to acquire one just to calibrate your ears (just as everyone should own a Quad ESL 57 to remind oneself what a low distortion loudspeaker sounds like)

Folks complain the Shure sounds “dull”, just as they complain about the Quad 57. Yes, neutrality can be boring compared to the “excitement” of a Lyra with rising treble or one of those hyper bright B&W’s with metallic tweeters (I owned a pair for several years — wincing treble!). . But even if you prefer that, it’s good to remind oneself what tonal neutrality sounds like.
A shure ultra 500 also knows how to inspire, then people divorce what sounds better. in the end a question of taste.
a quad esl 57 is still the best midrange driver on the world market. with the new mylar foils from stein ,germany, the bass level is significantly more stable. i mainly only listen to tubepre + sut for my ears it's the most fun. nevertheless, there are also new mm cartridges because you have to spend a lot of money for mc cartridges to really get more music out of the groove. example ortofon beethoven,vpi zephyr

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
A good designer ( and I do consider @jcarr to be in a rare circle of such ) can voice a cart as they wish. He must then be making conscious choices. Have you asked him why?

Here is a measurement of a cart purposefully voiced in honor of such Koetsu type profiles.
Screenshot_20230523-173655_Pdf_Viewer_Plus.png

A lot of research indicates this to be nearly ideal for perceived proper balance in home audio, although some would advocate for the speaker to be the place this sort of response is achieved.

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing