It’s All a Preference

I love everything Jack White has done..Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather, Loretta Lynn.

The new album should be in my mail box Monday!

Interesting that some would say the CD betters the LP since he records to analog.

Check out this great article!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/m...est-rock-star-of-our-time.html?pagewanted=all

And there are engineers (such as Vic Anesini) who consistently manage to avoid over-compression. BTW, I am very encouraged that the new Jack White CD has very good dynamics (even vinylistas say it sounds better than the LP); regardless of your opinion of the music, it is critically acclaimed and selling well, so hopefully might have some impact on the loudness wars. Another recent release of note, the HDTracks of Dream Theater's newest is a different mastering than the CD, with notably more dynamic range.

So, it's all preference. Fidelity to the recording isn't important because the recording isn't the point, …
Tim-I don’t know who said that, but I sure didn’t. Of course fidelity matters.

…and even if it was, components can measure the same and sound different so they tell us nothing.

I believe this is a true statement regarding amplifiers and preamplifiers. Please tell me how you can look at a set of measurements (assuming you really had them, in reality, you are eyeballing a manufacturer’s stated specifications more times than you are looking at real measurements) and please tell me how that will give you a clue as to how a Mark Levinson preamp or amp will sound different than a Rowland, Spectral, Burmester, etc. amp or preamp? It won’t. You would actually have to listen to them if you wanted to know the answer. A piece of paper with some numbers on it isn’t going to get you there.

AB/X tests don't tell us anything because....we have so many reasons to deny them I can't even keep track...there's still a difference between those components that measure the same, even if all those people couldn't hear it.

Now you have reversed the argument. We went from measuring the same and sounding different to measuring the same and sounding the same. So Tim, let’s say you are in the market for a new piece of gear and you roust up a list of suspects that you want to choose from. You gather all the data you can, spec sheets for sure, measurements if they exist and have been published, and you determine that all of their specifications/measurements are impeccable and you convince yourself you couldn’t possibly hear any differences between any of the devices under consideration. So now what? Do you buy on price and with a liberal return policy in case your ears don’t like what your eyes told you was good? Or do you just plunk your money down based on color, features, size, and shape and know that you are just going to love your new gadget because the measurements told you so?

And none of that matters anyway, because it's all preference. Bose is better than Wilson if you like it better. The simplicity is liberating. What do we talk about now? Tim

You missed the whole point of the OP Tim. It’s great that Harman has the technical capabilities to design and show off their speaker products. As an audiophile, what are the chances that before you set out to buy a new pair of speakers that you will have the opportunity to go to Harman with all four contenders that you want to hear and have them set up the demo for you? What are the chances that speakers that you are interested in buying have been run through the Harman mill and you can obtain data on how they fared against the competition they went against? Or, should everyone run out and only buy speakers that fall under the Harman umbrella because everyone else who is building speakers is clueless by comparison?

How many audio stores in the U.S. are set up to provide you with double blind listening sessions in order to make a decision on which speakers to purchase? In reality, don’t you think the majority of speakers are purchased by people because they heard them somewhere and liked the way they sounded more than they looked at the liar’s numbers contained in the spec sheets?

And coming back to electronics, with few exceptions, all modern electronics have outstanding specifications and yet we as consumers have to make a choice on what we are going to buy. And my point is that those decisions are based on our preferences and not a set of measurements once you get to the point where all of your choices have equally good measurements.

I feel like you have tried to turn this argument on its head by saying that measurements don’t matter. Come to grips with the fact that good measurements do matter, but once you have crossed the threshold of good measurements and they are a given, what are you left with to make your purchasing decision?

I post that because that data is public and easily referenced. The actual research has a far larger base. From Dr. Olive's AES paper, A Multiple Regression Model for Predicting Loudspeaker Preference Using Objective Measurements: Part II - Development of the Model

"A new model is presented that accurately predicts listener preference ratings of loudspeakers based on anechoic measurements. The model was tested using 70 different loudspeakers evaluated in 19 different listening tests. Its performance was compared to 2 models based on in-room measurements with 1/3-octave and 1/20-octave resolution, and 2 models based on sound power measurements, including the Consumers Union (CU) model, tested in Part One. The correlations between predicted and measured preference ratings were: 1.0 (our model), 0.91 (inroom, 1/20th-octave), 0.87 (sound power model), 0.75 (in-room, 1/3-octave), and ?0.22 (CU model). Models based on sound power are less accurate because they ignore the qualities of the perceptually important direct and early reflected sounds. The premise of the CU model is that the sound power response of the loudspeaker should be flat, which we show is negatively correlated with preference rating. It is also based on 1/3-octave measurements that are shown to produce less accurate predictions of sound quality."

Those are certainly factors and I mentioned one of them earlier (i.e. dynamic range, bass extension). Can we agree that the 70 speakers tested had widely varying metrics in this regard? Yet, with some small exceptions, they could not trump deficiencies in frequency response of the speaker.

To be sure, Harman has a company pays huge attention to these other factors too. It is just that they start with the right fundamentals: get the total response that reaches a listener -- sum total of direct and some of the reflected energy -- to have a smooth response (not necessarily flat!). Get that right and then focus on other issues you mention.

They do but then we are at the mercy of a "gray haired" designer thinking he is right. Why not put forward some data that says if you took 10 of us together, we would prefer that design priority over Harman's findings? Why not publish an AES or ASA paper that says Harman is wrong?

If large scale listening test data, combine with the measurements that correlate with it doesn't do that, then I think we are saying that we like to flip a coin and decide who is right. Who would buy an amp that has a 3 db dip in 2K to 3K vs one that doesn't? Who can't hear that dip if we took the flat response speaker and subjected it to that?

To be sure, there is absolutely room for additional factors that impact speaker performance. There is a reason Harman builds a range of products using completely different technologies. But they all share a principal of goodness. Of note, this change did not come easy to Harman. With different divisions all thinking they had the answer (think JBL and Revel), getting everyone to agree was hard. But they eventually come.

It is also true that Dr. Toole does take this idea to point of importance that perhaps is a bit too far. I think that is necessary to get the point across because there is so much disbelief out there. I have had arguments over validity of their double blind tests with some of the biggest champions of double blind testing such as Ethan and Arny. Both seemed to think you don't need double blind tests of speakers because the difference is too large! Once there though, and we let go of our assumptions, then it is OK to deviate some from this thinking. Surely the person at Harman sweating the new tweeter thinks beyond just accomplishing this goal with respect to frequency response.

Question becomes what I put to Myles. Do we then give up because we are not sure? At work, we get tons of speakers that come through our shop for evaluation. Is it by accident that they can't outperform the Revels when we put them side by side? My team is always ecstatic about these new brands. But as soon as we AB, it becomes clear that if you use proper research, you get better product. Again, there are ways to beat Revel speakers. If cost is no object and neither is size, you can do things that you can't do with a diminutive of a Revel speaker. But imagine how much better that other speaker would be if they also followed other factors that matter.

If you are asking if 100% of the people agreed with one speaker being the best, no. As the data above shows, there is high correlation but not absolute conclusions. Whether that is due to people being poor judges of quality at times, or some other factors in play, it is hard to say. What is not hard to say is that those factors do not in any way trump the research results presented. If you deviate from them, you better have darn good reason and research to back your counter approach. A glossy brochure and impressive looking speakers don't do it.

There is no marketing here. Harman's research can be used to heavily hurt their business. Dr. Tool in his classes and books talks about $500 speakers that follow this scheme. Yet the company makes $25K speakers in Revel line and up to $65K in JBL Synthesis. What separates these are some of the factors you mention. The JBL has dynamics that literally cause your ceiling to fall down if you are not careful :). And the lack of distortion in the Salon 2 is remarkable. Sure, there is some implicit marketing here. I won't deny that. But I think one would be ignoring very good data to hang one's hat on this notion. :)

And how is the mix with the high-end companies that Myles listed? I would say the percentage of marketing is off the chart there. They use technical buzzwords to be sure, but that is where it ends. Ultimately they show no objective data that proves the efficacy of the design. Surely if the goal is that we achieve better results with their speakers, they show some comparative listening tests that proves that point. But they show none.

Let me finish by saying that I am not trying to sell you on Harman as a company or products they manufacture. Just the notion that we are not lost in the woods, trying to interpret every manufacturer's claims independently. We do have a measure of goodness here and let's use it to evaluate products and see if in our mind, they do correlate. I have done this independently of Harman's research. I have gone with speakers that had the right buzzwords, that sounded convincing as a better approach to speaker design. Then I had my nose bashed in when I could not convince customers, that they were better. In our case, we had them side-by-side in our main theater behind the curtain and with a flip of a switch, we could go from JBL to the other brand. And the other brand lost, despite being more expensive.

Amir,

Thanks for the detailed answer. However, all your answers are based on trusting all the procedures used by Harman, that are not freely available to the public - only the general papers are freely available at the Harman or Sean Olive site. Many details are missing - anyone knowing about Dr. Toole Circle of Confusion would immediately ask what were the monitoring systems used for the recording of the music samples used.

Your answer seems to forget that sometimes the best of engineering uses a mix of science and empirical knowledge of the designer.

As I told I appreciate Harman research, but react strongly against being used to denigrate the competition, as it seems to be used lately and in this forum. This research is high valuable and we can see a general trend towards his findings in many other brands. Unhappily when science and marketing mix the frontier can not be clear.

BTW, happily you manage to have a listening space and system that allows speakers designed by the Harman group sound better than the competition - this means that you are in good position to help your customers to get the best from what buy from you! :)

As far as Bob Ludwig, that may have been true in the past, but lately I have been burned by screaming loud, clipped, zero dynamics albums
that he has mastered.

Now truth be told, he may have received a master that was already beyond help, mixed at a ridiculously loud level, and you can't polish a turd.

Perhaps that's more the answer? And he does have to pay the rent-and does the best he can with what he gets.

I love everything Jack White has done..Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather, Loretta Lynn.

The new album should be in my mail box Monday!

Interesting that some would say the CD betters the LP since he records to analog.

Check out this great article!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/m...est-rock-star-of-our-time.html?pagewanted=all

And what were they using as a playback system? Unless the mastering engineer totally screwed up the lacquer. That would be highly unusual since even a digital recording generally sounds better in analog rather than on a digital format.

Tim-I don’t know who said that, but I sure didn’t. Of course fidelity matters.

I wasn't speaking to you in particular, but to the entire contingent that threads like these always bring out. I was expanding upon the theme, if you will. It seems as if nothing -- not specs, not good measurements, not the results of extensive AB/X testing, can rock their faith in their choices. They often position those choices as superior, even when the numbers and blind listening tests don't support that position. And when all else fails and they have no other argument, they fall back on "preference," or imagine something unmeasurable that they hear which makes their choice superior. At this point, that's what this thread is about - that's what these threads always end up being about, I'm afraid, whether the original post had a more nuanced vision or not.

Usually this is about electronics, but in this thread, we have a perfect example where this stuff gets really hard -- speakers. We have a subset of Harman's extensive speaker testing project in which Amir and I have guessed - and it's a really good guess -- that the speakers R, I, B & M are Revel, Infinity, B&W and Martin Logan.

The Infinitys measured better than the B&Ws and the Martin Logans, and the superiority of the measurements was confirmed in blind listening tests. Have you ever heard any subjectivist - here or on any high-end audiophile forum - praising cotemporary Infinitys and preferring them over B&Ws and Martin Logans? I have started enough threads challenging the conventional price/performance wisdom exemplified by sub $1,000 midfi speaker out-performing respected "high-end" products to already know the answer. They will have none of it. They will deny whatever needs to be denied and find any reason to discredit the findings, and they will continue to believe that the venerable high end brands are not only superior, but that the very idea that the cheap midfi product could compete is ridiculous. It doesn't matter what the evidence is.

You were right with the simple sentence you began with: It's all a preference. I turned the argument on its ear for effect. It's not really a question of Bose being better if you believe it is better. It's about "high end" being better if you believe it's better, even when there is every reason to believe opposite is true. So it's all preference. Whatever you believe is best, is. And that's fine, really.

Now....what do we talk about?

Tim

Do we know the model numbers of the speakers that were compared from Infinity, Martin Logan, B&W, and Revel?

Do we know the model numbers of the speakers that were compared from Infinity, Martin Logan, B&W, and Revel?

I don't, but I really don't think it matters in this discussion. Based on the bass response, I'd guess the Infinitys are from their Primus series, probably the P363, which can easily be found new for <$700 a pair. Its not at all difficult to imagine the response if you came on here or any high-end forum and claimed they were both measurably and audibly superior to any floor-standing Martin Logan or B&W.

Tim

I don't, but I really don't think it matters in this discussion. Based on the bass response, I'd guess the Infinitys are from their Primus series, probably the P363, which can easily be found new for <$700 a pair. Its not at all difficult to imagine the response if you came on here or any high-end forum and claimed they were both measurably and audibly superior to any floor-standing Martin Logan or B&W.

Tim

LOL....

Yeah I'd suggest they get their hearing checked.

Tim

I don't care about what others think, I would love to know which model numbers were compared against each other and what the consensus was for the Infinity.

If you just accept it as a dogma, no problem. Dogmas should not be disputed or questioned.

If you own position happens to agree with one side of a discussion it becomes "dogma"? Where is your side of the discussion. I posted clear examples of independent measurements that back up Harman's design philosophy. Hard evidence that their measurement and design goals are in sync and they are meeting their stated goals. You dismiss it as "dogma".

It's not dogma it's clear their method works. If you don't agree with it fine put don't dismiss it as rubbish.

That's not what the pictures told me when Harman presented their testing methodology at RMAF (?). The speakers are far away from any back wall. In fact so far that light takes a year to reach you.

Hello Myles

That's why the question was posted to Sean. From his answer it's quite clear that they do indeed use the manufacturers recommended placement. That makes your statement that

the Harman testing procedure doesn't allow for valid evaluation of dipole speakers.

a red herring and patently false. Let face it those M's don't measure all that well. At least the model they measured.

Rob:)

Attachments

• Hybrid..jpg
    Hybrid..jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Have any non-Harman manufactured speakers ever bested the Harman designs at Harman or do the Harman brands win every time?

If you own position happens to agree with one side of a discussion it becomes "dogma"? Where is your side of the discussion. I posted clear examples of independent measurements that back up Harmons design philosophy. Hard evidence that their measurement and design goals are in sync and they are meeting thier stated goals. You dismiss it as "dogma".

It's not dogma it's clear their method works. If you don't agree with it fine put don't dismiss it as rubish.

Rob,

Sorry you are not understanding my point. If some one defines the set of measurements they consider important and at the same time the criteria to establish the preferences (referred in the F. Toole book) and find a correlation, nice for him and those who share the criteria. For these people the method is valid. But this does not make it an universal method.

BTW, I have no side in the discussion. I appreciate the work, but find it is not applicable for what most people want - an absolute quality measuring tool.
BTW2 I never called it rubish or rubbish - please re-read my posts.

Sorry you are not understanding my point. If some one defines the set of measurements they consider important and at the same time the criteria to establish the preferences (referred in the F. Toole book) and find a correlation, nice for him and those who share the criteria. For these people the method is valid. But this does not make it an universal method.

Who said that it was a universal method?? It's method they use and get consistent results with. That's all. I see it as a step forward getting any useful correlation between measurements and what we hear.

BTW, I have no side in the discussion. I appreciate the work, but find it is not applicable for what most people want - an absolute quality measuring tool.

Most people want an absolute quality measurement tool?? Where are there any for that matter?? How would you propose we get there?? You don't see the work they are doing as a step in that direction??

Rent?

Hey Myles:

Having to pay the rent is not an excuse. I have a pretty good estimation of how much he makes per year. He can definitely walk away from projects that he knows are crap.

Hey listen, I am generally a big fan of Ludwig The job he did with the Stones catalog back in the early 90's was SUPERB and is one of the great sounding CD/SACD catalogs around IMO. Compare that to the screaming loud Re-Re masters and it is clear that mastering engineers have a tremendous amount of control over the final product.

Perhaps that's more the answer? And he does have to pay the rent-and does the best he can with what he gets.

Hey Myles:

There is no technical reason why a digital recording would sound better pressed to vinyl.

That, in my opinion, is in the eye of the beholder. It is one generation further removed from the master.

It is an interesting topic!

And what were they using as a playback system? Unless the mastering engineer totally screwed up the lacquer. That would be highly unusual since even a digital recording generally sounds better in analog rather than on a digital format.

Internet comments suggest that the mix on the vinyl is slightly different than the CD, with somewhat muffled and recessed highs on most cuts. I downloaded a rip of the vinyl single with two songs only on the Japanese CD, and that is an accurate characterization of its sound compared to the CD.

If you own position happens to agree with one side of a discussion it becomes "dogma"? Where is your side of the discussion. I posted clear examples of independent measurements that back up Harman's design philosophy. Hard evidence that their measurement and design goals are in sync and they are meeting their stated goals. You dismiss it as "dogma".

It's not dogma it's clear their method works. If you don't agree with it fine put don't dismiss it as rubbish.

Hello Myles

That's why the question was posted to Sean. From his answer it's quite clear that they do indeed use the manufacturers recommended placement. That makes your statement that

a red herring and patently false. Let face it those M's don't measure all that well. At least the model they measured.

Pictures don't lie Rob. No self effacing audiophile would listen to ML like Harman had them set up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu