JCAT - music server upgrades, power supplies, cables

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
"Wow… this is seriously something different. What an immense amount of improved resolution with this new Jcat NET Card XE network card! Unbelievable. We’re not exaggerating when we say that everything just seems tighter. We hear more rhythm and microdetail comes off more easily and gets more of its own place in the whole."

Alpha Audio review of NET Card XE in combination with OPTIMO 3 DUO now available in English

Reactions: Uk Paul

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu

L1007152.jpg OPTIMO nano​

ELEVATE YOUR COMPUTER AUDIO TO THE NEXT LEVEL.​

Filter and enhance power coming from computer or so called ‘audiophile grade’ switching power supplies. It will revitalize JCAT cards and allow them to express their full potential.
During development of OPTIMO nano we tested many computer like power supplies and we’ve seen noise level even up to 30 – 40 mV. OPTIMO nano drives this into uV range – close to more or less not measurable value.

SPECIFICATION:​

• 5V DC / 2A power supply active filter and buffer
  • Designed to buffer and filter typically very noisy 5V DC power supply coming from computer or so called ‘audiophile grade’ switching power supplies.
  • Features linear low impedance output stage based on design of JCAT flagship linear power supplies
  • Input voltage is filtered by active stage and buffered on top quality low impedance capacitors vastly improving dynamic response
  • Comes with high-quality teflon insulated, silver plated 18AWG DC cable, with both LP4 MOLEX and SATA connectors cables.
  • Plug & play; connect cable from computer PSU on one side of OPTIMO nano and clean power goes out on the other side of OPTIMO nano which you can use to power JCAT card &/or SSD via included premium cables.
  • Superb build quality: 70oz gold plated PCB, top quality components, design optimized for low impedance and short signal path

Available now: https://jcat.eu/product/optimo-nano/
FAQ:

Who is OPTIMO nano for?

For audiophiles looking for serious sound quality improvement and:
a) don’t want to invest in INITIO, OPTIMO DUO or OPTIMO S ATX power supplies.
b) have already ‘audiophihle grade’ power supply and don’t want to replace it with a different product.
c) don’t have room for adding a separate box power supply – OPTIMO nano is installed inside PC and takes no extra space.

How to install OPTIMO nano?

Simply connect between your computer power supply and a device (e.g. USB Card):
  1. Connect LP4 molex cable from your computer PSU to the input on the right side of OPTIMO nano.
  2. Use the included high-quality DC cable that comes with OPTIMO nano; connect LP4 molex to the output of OPTIMO nano on the left side.
    The other end of the DC cable goes into a device (e.g. SSD or JCAT card)
  3. You can put the OPTIMO nano loose inside PC enclosure or use the self-adhesive tape that is in the baseplate of OPTIMO nano
Which devices can be powered by OPTIMO nano?

All JCAT cards; USB Card FEMTO, NET Card FEMTO, USB Card XE & NET Card XE.

SSDs and HDDs (models using 5V voltage only)

How many devices can I power with a single OPTIMO nano set?

One JCAT card and one SSD. Powering two JCAT cards requires two OPTIMO nano sets.

Reactions: onsionsi and Thuan

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Very beautiful interior! :D

Reactions: Marcin_gps

Tubeman66

Mar 31, 2019
Hmm
you will have very long atx cables that are sensitive to interference RF / EMI

at minimum 1m or more 1,5 m for CPU cable
not the most optimal solution

Last edited:

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Hmm
you will have very long atx cables that are sensitive to interference RF / EMI

at minimum 1m or more 1,5 m for CPU cable
not the most optimal solution
This will not be a problem. The cables are shielded - special high quality direct silver plated copper in teflon insulation at maximum cross section possible for ATX connectors (18AWG).

And please note that OPTIMO S ATX has cable voltage drop compensation for all the lines.

Regards,
Marcin

Reactions: 7ryder and CKKeung

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
The 1st batch of OPTIMO S ATX is sold out already! I would like to thank all my customers for the trust.

PRE-ORDER for 2nd batch is now open and orders can be placed via jcat.eu. Shipping in March 2022

We started shipping the PSUs to customers worldwide.

Below is a picture of the OPTIMO S ATX next to hd-plex 400W atx and my APL DSD-MR MKII DAC - just to give perspective how big the OPTIMO S ATX is:

IMG_0037.jpg IMG_0039.jpg

Best regards,
Marcin

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Another award!!!

The OPTIMO S ATX, the world's 1st truly 100% linear ATX power supply for high-end audiophiles and our most adanced product, received the 'Alpha-Audio Approved' award from Alpha Audio

Full review is here: https://alpha-audio.net/review/review-jcat-optimo-s-atx-next-level-computer-power/

We are now accepting pre-orders for next batch: https://jcat.eu/product/optimo-s-atx/

Starting this month, it is also possible to order the PSU for Japanese market (AC voltage of 100V)

Regards,
Marcin

optimo s atx alpha award.jpg

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I just got the Jcat Optimo Nano and it is every bit as good as I expected it to be (knowing that it is build upon state-of-the-art LT3045 voltage regulators).

1645744975622.png

Depending on the card you are using, the difference can be from jaw-droppingly-good to slight, but still worthwile.

If you were running the Jcat Femto USB card without a quality external PSU (using dirty mobo power via Molex connector) the difference is literally jaw dropping. Sound staging, fine details, body of the instruments, palpability - we are talking about a completely different league. Switch back to dirty MoBo power and the Jcat Femto USB card sounds broken.

Compared to quality, ultra low noise external PSUs I had on hand - the (discontinued) Jcat / Bacoon 02 battery PSU and Teddy Pardo PSU - Jcat Optimo Nano inline voltege regulator sounds more transparent with more fine details. Both battery PSU and Teddy Pardo had more mellow perspective, lacking a bit of air.

The difference on the more expensive, €800 Jcat XE USB card, which itself has 4 LT3045 voltage regulators (same as Optimo Nano) is much smaller, maybe 5-10%, but still worthwile.

Same on €1900 Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card - Optimo Nano pushed it from the hi-end to trully spectacular. This is the best sound I have heard from my setup in 10+ years building audio servers.

Needless to say - I'm keeping the Optimo Nano to power my Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card.

BTW - seeing a heat sink on the Optimo Nano, I was worried it may get very hot under a high load. Pink Faun is very power hungry due to the OCXO used (which consumes a lot of power to keep the XO's oven warm) - it needs 1,1A during heating up for around 40 seconds and 700mA @ idle - but Optimo Nano heatsink never got warm to touch. A good sign.

Each LT3045 regulator is 500mA rated, Optimo Nano uses 4 in paralell, so the 2A rating given by Jcat sounds about right.

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
JPLAY iOS app - world premiere

jplayioseventpic.jpg

Come and experience the new JPLAY iOS app at the Audio Video Show 2022.

When: 28-30th October

Where: Warsaw, Poland. Radisson Blu Sobieski Hotel, Room 718

Best regards,
Marcin

392326259gu

Mar 9, 2023
I have tried many linear power supplies (Farad, Teddy pardo, Sean Jacobs, Mojo audio, UpTone etc), JCAT is the very best by a big margin! The transformer inside in Optimo 3 is the best I have seen (like that of Nagra psu?); the neutrik lock-connectors are solid; the dc cables are of high quality. Lemo connector is like the Nagra Lemo. JCAT has a wide sound stage; the background noise is near zero. Sound separation and instrument positions is great too.
No point to increase capacitance even further? Take a look at Taiko or Sean Jacobs or Pachanko offering. You are really striving for quality in those capacitors? It is an insult if you gonna be offering this at 5K to be honest.

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
I have tried many linear power supplies (Farad, Teddy pardo, Sean Jacobs, Mojo audio, UpTone etc), JCAT is the very best by a big margin! The transformer inside in Optimo 3 is the best I have seen (like that of Nagra psu?); the neutrik lock-connectors are solid; the dc cables are of high quality. Lemo connector is like the Nagra Lemo. JCAT has a wide sound stage; the background noise is near zero. Sound separation and instrument positions is great too.
Thank you for the compliments!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing