Jim's Powerful Sound

I don't mind people writing about classical music, as long as i don't have to listen to it ! ;)
No-one should ever be exposed for any length of time to any of their personal music or gear Kryptonite just to make others feel better about their own preferences… just way too cruel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda
He use to use Lamm amps. 250 watt monos. He thought they needed more power. 18" cones can at times need a welder to really control them. Now he uses the PBN monoblocks. The monos have a 4kVA toroid inside each. I think they are 2000 watts each I always thought they sounded good.
Why so much power? Is it the driver or the crossover or both

Most should never be exposed for any length of time to any of their personal music or gear just to feel better about their own preferences… just way too cruel.
Did minor edit, reads very differently now

Did minor edit, reads very differently now
I’m shockingly way to ocd on my writing, it’s my Achilles heel but it does read as intended though. I try and simplify as best I can but I’m never happy till it says what I actually mean tho.

I’m shockingly way to ocd on my writing, it’s my Achilles heel but it does read as intended though. I try and simplify as best I can but I’m never happy till it says what I actually mean tho.
Sorry my edit was meant to be funny. No place for ocd on this forum, btw

Sorry my edit was meant to be funny. No place for ocd on this forum, btw
lol Did I mention I’m not real quick either…

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao
I don't know why it needs so much power. I was told the Lamm was great but could not hold it together at higher volumes. The manufacturer makes the amp specifically for that speaker and its massive.
I think the efficiency is rated around 90 or so. But it seems efficiency is not all that matters when it comes to a need for power. Another person said to me a paper driver that is 18 inch has a lot of physical weight and needs a lot of power to move it without distortion.

I don't know why it needs so much power. I was told the Lamm was great but could not hold it together at higher volumes. The manufacturer makes the amp specifically for that speaker and its massive.
I think the efficiency is rated around 90 or so. But it seems efficiency is not all that matters when it comes to a need for power. Another person said to me a paper driver that is 18 inch has a lot of physical weight and needs a lot of power to move it without distortion.

The sensitivity is rated at 95 dB. A paper driver weighs less than a number of other driver materials, if I remember correctly.

The sensitivity is rated at 95 dB. A paper driver weighs less than a number of other driver materials, if I remember correctly.
Yes, agree.
My PAP 15" driver speaker is rated 96db. And my 17 watt or 40 watt amp.will drive it. But PAP seem to like Pass amps. And the ones that are 250 watts or more.

Maybe it's a different topic, but sensitivity is something like 1 watt at 1 foot. I'm not an engineer so thats a very simple value. But that one watt is not getting you to 85db sound at the chair. When you go to listening level volume, the math is going to say your pushing higher watts.

And, I don't believe that math is telling the story on driver control.

Look at the amp PBN builds to power his speaker. This is what the person I know was told to.get to power the speaker properly. It took 2 men from a moving company to set them on the stands PNB also makes.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using or needing a high power amp. I hear its a great combination. I only heard the system with the Lamm

How come my countrymen are never shy of claiming their product the best, embarrassing ! :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: tima
I once heard a smaller version of this PNB speaker driven by Lamm amps at Jeffrey T’s house. It was excellent. He played vinyl and tape.
+1

Peter Noerbaek uses and remanufactures drivers with lightweight cones.

Jim would remember better, but I have heard at least four different amplifiers on the MR!777 at Jim's house. The giant MR!777 is not difficult to drive.

Yes, agree.
My PAP 15" driver speaker is rated 96db. And my 17 watt or 40 watt amp.will drive it. But PAP seem to like Pass amps. And the ones that are 250 watts or more.

Maybe it's a different topic, but sensitivity is something like 1 watt at 1 foot. I'm not an engineer so thats a very simple value. But that one watt is not getting you to 85db sound at the chair. When you go to listening level volume, the math is going to say your pushing higher watts.

And, I don't believe that math is telling the story on driver control.

Look at the amp PBN builds to power his speaker. This is what the person I know was told to.get to power the speaker properly. It took 2 men from a moving company to set them on the stands PNB also makes.

1watt at 1 meter.

Thank you the OP for an insightful rendering of our system. Happy listening everyone.

You're welcome, Peter. This system with your fantastic speakers was an extraordinary experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu