John DeVore on the Grey Market and OCD Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Mike to tell his side of the story...

Lee, so this is a way to put public pressure on him to respond to J D’s video? That’s why you posted the video on an audio discussion site? I wonder if the main stream industry considers people like OCD as part of the same industry or as competition and troublemakers

I suppose posting and amplifying the video can be seen as a way to damage OCD and warn potential customers of his.

I wonder if JD tried to contact PayPal with his version of the story. He must have tried to deal with OCD privately before making it so public.

Reactions: facten
Lee, so this is a way to put public pressure on him to respond to J D’s video? That’s why you posted the video on an audio discussion site? I wonder if the main stream industry considers people like OCD as part of the same industry or as competition and troublemakers

I suppose posting and amplifying the video can be seen as a way to damage OCD and warn potential customers of his.

I wonder if JD tried to contact PayPal with his version of the story. He must have tried to deal with OCD privately before making it so public.

Peter,

Speaking to Mike now on the phone. He is going to make a video telling his side of the story. Stay tuned.

Are you questioning John DeVore's motives, implying that this is a plot by the "industry" to discredit a YouTubber with 21k subscribers? Hardly worth the effort!

Reactions: adyc and Lee
well they figure those who can’t hear judge by the sticker and can be taken for a ride. They just have to tickle the insecurity where the person feels he is leaving out something on the table if he doesn’t pay up.
I know people that order wine that way too ;)

Reactions: adyc
Lee instead of speaking with generalities, why don’t you walk us through an example with your justification of a $90K Tripoint grounding unit? Assume that you are in front of a lecture room at Caltech. Walk us through the justification of this product’s existence and pricing. The floor is yours.
There is very little doubt that pricing of many "audiophile" products is completely disconnected from the manufacture costs. Ground boxes for $90,000, record weights for $5,000-10,000, and I could go on and on and on.
Frequently a "unique designers vision and experience" and other such BS are cited as an added value justifying the exorbitant pricing.
Not sure why is this even being debated at this point.
The question whether or not there are people willing to pay the price has nothing to do with the subject.
The issue of a value proposition is as relevant in audio as it it anywhere else.

There is very little doubt that pricing of many "audiophile" products is completely disconnected from the manufacture costs. Ground boxes for $90,000, record weights for $5,000-10,000, and I could go on and on and on.
Frequently a "unique designers vision and experience" and other such BS are cited as an added value justifying the exorbitant pricing.
Not sure why is this even being debated at this point.
The question whether or not there are people willing to pay the price has nothing to do with the subject.
The issue of a value proposition is as relevant in audio as it it anywhere else.
Sorry, I have completely forgotten $30-50K cables. My bad.

Reactions: Carlos269
Are you questioning John DeVore's motives, implying that this is a plot by the "industry" to discredit a YouTubber with 21k subscribers? Hardly worth the effort!

No, not really. It was a good lecture about grey market too. I don't think manufacturers/dealers/importers like the grey audio market much.

Speaking only as a regular member, what is the relevance of complaints about expensive audio products to the opening post about the John DeVore video and allegations?

Why don't you start a new thread about the high prices of audio components, instead of polluting randomly this unrelated thread?

Last edited:
Speaking only as a regular member, what is the relevance of complaints about expensive audio products to the opening post about John DeVore video and allegations.

Why don't you start a new thread about the high prices of audio components, instead of polluting randomly this unrelated thread?

there already is a thread on exorbitant luxury pricing started by Wil.

but yes it is hot exactly relevant to this thread.

However, unless OCD Mikey jumps in we don’t have much to do so just keeping the thread warm

there already is a thread on exorbitant luxury pricing started by Wil.

but yes it is hot exactly relevant to this thread.

However, unless OCD Mikey jumps in we don’t have much to do so just keeping the thread warm

I asked Mike to reply here as well.

Let me preface this by stating for the record that I have no personal or customer affiliation with OCD Mickey. I gather from some prior threads that he may not be particuarly popular on WBF so I wondered what you thought would be gained by posting this aside from likely generating personal attacks on the guy. I'm not sure that this has the potential for achieving your desired "Towards a Better WBF". Anyway, I'll sit back and wait to see how this unfolds beyond the 2 direct reactions to the video already posted.
Very good awareness Facten... I suspect the motivation.. Ive called it out.

Since you are such an analog guy, look into the development and production costs of cartridges for example and compare them to the cost of development and production of magnetometers for precision guided electronics, including in weapons systems, with exotic magnetic cores and materials. I would joke with my engineers that building cartridges for the audiophile industry would have been a lot more lucrative. Should we discuss the development and production cost of audiophile cables?.
I work in the Pharma industry but have my background in analytical instrumentation. I can te you those prices are pretty astronomical by comparison to high en audio. If I wanted to build an audio rack with lab grade components it would likely cost me more than buying a very expensive HRS rack todo it right. They mostly corporate and institutional buyers…and price accordingly.

Reactions: Lee
Read this entire thread….there’s 35 minutes i’ll never get back.

And FFS, these are all hyper-luxury items: they will never have reasonable or justified pricing.

Tell that to Lee and others, who keep trying to justify them.

Last edited:
I work in the Pharma industry but have my background in analytical instrumentation. I can te you those prices are pretty astronomical by comparison to high en audio. If I wanted to build an audio rack with lab grade components it would likely cost me more than buying a very expensive HRS rack todo it right. They mostly corporate and institutional buyers…and price accordingly.

Keep reading the posts about my background and you may comprehend where I’m coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing