Just heard TAD reference on tour - Patricia Barber’s producer R1 reveals new details in his recordings

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
At the Tampa Fl. audio show TAD had Jim Anderson, Patricia Barber’s producer play back some of his recordings in DXD, and he after hearing them mentioned he heard new details he’s never heard before.

While I’ve only heard the R1’s at shows, I can definitely say this is the best I’ve ever heard them. I also was Introduced to TAD’s CEO and told him about WBF and how a couple of people here had bought and sold R1’s them bought them again. He said he was familiar with one of the Joe’s doing this.

Hearing the R1 perform so well makes me wish I had gone for them instead of the CR1 all those years ago, but speaking with Andrew Jones at the show (after hearing his killer $3700 new speaker) he mentioned the CR1 was his favorite speaker he’s designed.

While I’ve added subs to my CR-1’s, which greatly helps, I’m wondering how to get them to sound closer to the R1’s.

Reactions: Amir

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the post. It must have been a treat to hear the PB songs in DXD. I've never seen DXD level hirez PB albums available commercially. I would guess they should be 384 or 352 resolution. Both HD Tracks and Qobuz have hirez downloads of two albums, Clique (176/24) and Distortion of Love (192/24) which are the highest resolution Patricia Barber albums that I have seen. Interesting that Distortion of Love was recorded in 1991, when higher resolution formats were not available, yet it has been released in 192/24.

Also Jonathan Horwich has used the original digital files to record several of the PB albums on tape (15ips 2 track) which I have. Those are very nice, I think better than the CD versions. I think they may not be available anymore since he had a limited license for making the tapes.

I have a pair of TAD CM-1's in my second system (the prototypes Andrew built before he modified them for production as the CR-1s.) I have never tried to listen to my PB albums on them. So far, I play them through my Avantgarde Duos which have a greater bass extension. Never have heard the TAD R1's. Andrew did really great work for TAD.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir and Golum

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, I just bought the Clique download from NativeDSD in DXD352/32, since my Lampi Horizon can do DXD up to 32 bits. Sounds fabulous. Looks like they are making their R2R copies from the 352/32 masters. It looks like the DXD352/32 they have for sale may be the copies of the master files. Larry

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks, I just bought the Clique download from NativeDSD in DXD352/32, since my Lampi Horizon can do DXD up to 32 bits. Sounds fabulous. Looks like they are making their R2R copies from the 352/32 masters. It looks like the DXD352/32 they have for sale may be the copies of the master files. Larry

Larry, why did you choose DXD352/32 over DSD512? Is that because the original recording was DXD?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Larry, why did you choose DXD352/32 over DSD512? Is that because the original recording was DXD?
Yes, the description on the website says the original was DXD352/32 and that was used to make the tape dub. Larry

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’ve always felt native many times beats all.
yet there is magic in transfers from digital to analog
And analog tape to digital
Regarding new info heard can it be the playback eq that may cause this. if anyone has noticed during burn in if the low freq is lost until things settle there appears to be much detail. at times it’s spooky

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
At the Tampa Fl. audio show TAD had Jim Anderson, Patricia Barber’s producer play back some of his recordings in DXD, and he after hearing them mentioned he heard new details he’s never heard before.

While I’ve only heard the R1’s at shows, I can definitely say this is the best I’ve ever heard them. I also was Introduced to TAD’s CEO and told him about WBF and how a couple of people here had bought and sold R1’s them bought them again. He said he was familiar with one of the Joe’s doing this.

Hearing the R1 perform so well makes me wish I had gone for them instead of the CR1 all those years ago, but speaking with Andrew Jones at the show (after hearing his killer $3700 new speaker) he mentioned the CR1 was his favorite speaker he’s designed.

While I’ve added subs to my CR-1’s, which greatly helps, I’m wondering how to get them to sound closer to the R1’s.

in proper setup (good room acoustics, proper speaker placement, good AC quality) no dynamic driver loudspeaker (at any price) could reveal more information than TAD R1 and TAD CR1 in the midrange. I had both models.
TAD speakers are very very sensitive to upstream and AC quality and ...
I think TAD M700 is the best match for R1 and CR1

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Amir did you ever add subs to the CR1’s? I’ve had good luck with a pair of Velodyne dd10+ on sistrum stands.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Amir did you ever add subs to the CR1’s? I’ve had good luck with a pair of Velodyne dd10+ on sistrum stands.
No , I have no experience about adding subwoofer to CR1.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
R1M1.jpg

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
Sitting here listening to a pair of R-1 MK IIs that I bought used, backed up by a six pack of REL Carbon Specials. Sounds divine. I owned the CR-1s before the R-1s, so the sound signature is to my liking. Super excited that there appears to be at least some activity around TAD in the US again. They were here and then they weren't. Nice to have them coming back.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
What is your amplification?

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
What is your amplification?
As stated in my signature, DartZeel 468 monoblocks (run by a DartZeel NHB18NS MKII). I previously had accuphase a200 monoblocks with an accuphase preamp, but the dartzeels are obviously in a whole different league.

Reactions: Pokey77 and Amir

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Dartzeel is great, Enjoy :)

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I am listening to PB's 'Cafe Blue' SACD on my Esoteric K-01XD player and doubting that higher res DSD recordings can get much better.

Reactions: Nascimento

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Track 8 is wonderful
TAD Be midrange is beyond all other loudspeakers

Reactions: Panas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing