KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This Hailey 2.2 system of @Hieukm 's friend keeps improving regularly, he also has the MSB and the dagostino M400. The improvements have been coming with the 400. Very easy to hear on YouTube

Reactions: KeithR

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tricky buying monster amps with no chance to audition first.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Tricky buying monster amps with no chance to audition first.

Ya whenver possible get an audition first. Colosseum is safe because if he doesn't like it (which is unlikely) he could likely sell easily and not lose much. But the coda would be a free demo.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ya whenver possible get an audition first. Colosseum is safe because if he doesn't like it (which is unlikely) he could likely sell easily and not lose much. . . .

This is a good point. I know someone who right now is looking to buy used Mephisto Solos or a Mephisto Stereo.

I think that it is relatively easy to find buyers of used Gryphon amplifiers.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
This is a good point. I know someone who right now is looking to buy used Mephisto Solos or a Mephisto Stereo.

I think that it is relatively easy to find buyers of used Gryphon amplifiers.

Yup so many people love and respect gryphon. They are truly beautiful amps. I think the stereo will sound great and fit between the two haileys as a third tall vertical column perfectly. The seller should accept $25k, its a fair offer.

Crazy to think that at one point someone was selling mephisto solos for $47k on audiogon.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, the Pass Labs you're testing some way off that tag?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Pass X350.8:

Background on trying this amp was that I wanted to complete the "musical SS" trio of Pass, Rowland, and Luxman. I've always had profound respect for Nelson and in my Zu tenure, tried SIT amps which sounded very, very good. In fact, if I ever go back to Zu a XA25 would be my first amp decision (and Sean Casey's favorite amp right now).

I considered the X and XA.8 series, but thought the latter would overheat my room and at the power I require, be too expensive ($30k+). Also, I've noted several contrarians on the XA.8 series who actually feel the X is better. So I narrowed the Pass decision down to the 260.8 monos and the 350.8. I had read on another forum a member having trouble with the monos on 88db speakers, so I ultimately thought the 350.8 was the best amp to try. YG speakers seem to love power, so why not. I learned later on that the 260.8 is the "jazz" voicing while the 350.8 was the "rock" one - as I listen more to rock that seemed to be the route. Also, for those looking at the XA series - the 100.8 sounds "rock" vs the rest of the series.

I turned the amp on for 5 days, with only a short session at 35 hours that wasn't successful. After 5 days, I really started to examine the amp/speaker relationship. We tried multiple preamps (tube and SS MF) and cables (XLR and RCA). We settled on the LTA tube preamp with single ended cables (it doesn't have balanced outs). Overall the Pass was disappointing and, honestly, didn't get better over the two weeks I had it running in. The amp had a real "stilted" presentation that seemed to slam the leading edge with no decay - to the point it was harsh to my ears. Piano really didn't sound like a piano to me, no matter what I tried. Surprisingly though, the soundstage wasn't overly big either and I always felt the amp exhibited a flatness quality compared with other amps. This was codified in an overall thin timbre where most instruments and vocals lacked body. As one listener here commented, the female voice lacked the vocal chord pipe. I will say the amp isn't cold, was actually warmer than expected, and had a characteristic to the bass I really enjoyed. It hits hard, but with a bit of roundness that I prefer.

One last comment - this amp runs quite warm. Huge heat sinks just emanate heat into the room similarly to Luxman Class A in my experience. It was just on the cusp of being uncomfortable in my 24'x16' room in a hot climate. All-in-all, the Pass X.8 just wasn't synergistic with the YGs and I feel Nelson's best work remains in the lower-powered spectrum.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He just has to enjoy the journey till he gets to dagostino M400

Reactions: joeinid

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
He just has to enjoy the journey till he gets to dagostino M400

I totally agree. My first question to Keith when he bought them was “what amps were on the speakers when you fell in love with them?”

I’ve made similar mistakes and I think we almost all have along the way.

Keith, I didn’t mean my above response to sound snarky. I apologize if that’s how you or anybody else took it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think symphonic line Kraft should be next try, but I think their own pre is a high gain pre. I think the passive pre or LTA may or may not be right as you roll power amps

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'd still vote for a used pair of MSB's, as well. Maybe not the final word in some things, but the pairing is pleasurable.

Yes the MSB 200 or 201 can be available cheap in the used market

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Pass X350.8:

Background on trying this amp was that I wanted to complete the "musical SS" trio of Pass, Rowland, and Luxman. I've always had profound respect for Nelson and in my Zu tenure, tried SIT amps which sounded very, very good. In fact, if I ever go back to Zu a XA25 would be my first amp decision (and Sean Casey's favorite amp right now).

I considered the X and XA.8 series, but thought the latter would overheat my room and at the power I require, be too expensive ($30k+). Also, I've noted several contrarians on the XA.8 series who actually feel the X is better. So I narrowed the Pass decision down to the 260.8 monos and the 350.8. I had read on another forum a member having trouble with the monos on 88db speakers, so I ultimately thought the 350.8 was the best amp to try. YG speakers seem to love power, so why not. I learned later on that the 260.8 is the "jazz" voicing while the 350.8 was the "rock" one - as I listen more to rock that seemed to be the route. Also, for those looking at the XA series - the 100.8 sounds "rock" vs the rest of the series.

I turned the amp on for 5 days, with only a short session at 35 hours that wasn't successful. After 5 days, I really started to examine the amp/speaker relationship. We tried multiple preamps (tube and SS MF) and cables (XLR and RCA). We settled on the LTA tube preamp with single ended cables (it doesn't have balanced outs). Overall the Pass was disappointing and, honestly, didn't get better over the two weeks I had it running in. The amp had a real "stilted" presentation that seemed to slam the leading edge with no decay - to the point it was harsh to my ears. Piano really didn't sound like a piano to me, no matter what I tried. Surprisingly though, the soundstage wasn't overly big either and I always felt the amp exhibited a flatness quality compared with other amps. This was codified in an overall thin timbre where most instruments and vocals lacked body. As one listener here commented, the female voice lacked the vocal chord pipe. I will say the amp isn't cold, was actually warmer than expected, and had a characteristic to the bass I really enjoyed. It hits hard, but with a bit of roundness that I prefer.

One last comment - this amp runs quite warm. Huge heat sinks just emanate heat into the room similarly to Luxman Class A in my experience. It was just on the cusp of being uncomfortable in my 24'x16' room in a hot climate. All-in-all, the Pass X.8 just wasn't synergistic with the YGs and I feel Nelson's best work remains in the lower-powered spectrum.
I and a couple of my friends here have been consistently disappointed with Pass electronics. I haven’t heard any of the first watt stuff though.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I would buy a Boulder either 1060 or 2060.
Before that i would buy a pair of used halcro mono amps .
Depending on the impedance graph of the speaker if the latter would be a good match.
For tubes i d use convergent amps .
Probably Jl 3 or the new Jl 7 monos
pre amp in all cases CAT

Brg hj

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing