KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
1,684 posts thus far - for the love of god, please go listen to Jeffrey Jackson’s horn system in Poughkeepsie, NY and be done with it!
Can you provide a link?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
So it appears we are getting approved on a house with a 18.5 x 13.5’ room - a bit smaller than the 20x15 predicted but hopefully will still work fine. It is more symmetrical than my current room although is half open on one side to the left. The Devores will be able to fire straight as intended.

After looking at 20 houses, it’s tough work for a rental that is wheelchair accessible, dog-friendly, and Hifi good.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well the distance may be a nice advantage if you go horns. Width is more important for cone/dome.
But treatment is a thing, too.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
hard to say, just going to have to try some things. i will be using room treatments in key areas (my art panels for sure as well as GIK tri traps)

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Thought I would start a thread about my latest auditions, what my goals are, etc.

Background:

I have owned Wilsons, Dynaudios, Zu, and now Devores. I have owned Gibbon Xs for 3 years now and really enjoy their sound - open, dynamic, with good tone. They are very amplifier-flexible which I enjoy and have driven them with Quads, DarTZeel, and now Audio Research. Generally speaking, speaker/amp matching is critical to me and after owning Zu and trying over 15 amps on them, I am a stickler on properly driving speakers.

The Devore weakness in my room has always been in the bass - and yes, I was used to sealed bass with Zu courtesy of a class D actively driven module with a downward-firing 12" woofer. My room is 14'x15-18' as I have an angled rear wall. I have the Gibbon Xs around 2.5-3' from the front wall as setup by the dealer and after 6 months of positioning I felt they were perfectly setup for my trapezoid-shaped room. Devore uses a pair of long-throw 9" woofers, so bass gets down well into the mid-20s. I feel the Audio Research was a great pairing as it uses a small amount of negative feedback which controls the woofers much better than my former DarTZeel. But it still can be a little prodigious for my tastes - which is also mentioned as a positive in the reviews - I should also say that I want to try them in a larger room as my guess is this will be much ameliorated (and another audiophile with Gibbon Xs apparently has no such issue in his room).

I'm looking at to see what 2-3x the cost of my Devores (<50k) can provide - and am curious if the various high end cabinets are advantageous to my Devore's solid bamboo.

Room:

As mentioned before, I have a trapezoid room currently but am moving in 2019 - my goal is to find at least a 20' x 15' room. So the ideal speaker will need to fit in a normal sized room. This will likely be an LA rental, but we may purchase an 1800 square foot rancher house in the next downturn and my guess is the room will be similar in size.

Speaker criteria:

I don't like bright sound or anything with "hifi fireworks" that unnaturally presents detail as a red herring. Metal tweeters and ceramic drivers have usually bothered me in prior speaker hunts. I require excellent dynamics and hence have always had an interest in horns - but concerned their negatives may outweigh this area. I don't crave "ultimate transparency" or detail. Basically I'm looking for a big soundstage with excellent dynamics and good tone. I also need adequate bass as I listen to electronica/trip hop/downtempo for a third of my listening. The other two thirds of my listening includes rock/americana and classical - I don't really listen to jazz at all. Tone, immediacy, and presence are somewhat related and one thing Devore does really well. One last thing, as a former Zu owner - coherency is more apparent to me than others. It bothers me when I can hear different instruments out of different drivers or can point to the bass, etc.

Audition list:

Rockport Avior 2
Gamut RS7i
Wilson Audio Sasha DAW
YG Acoustics Hailey 2
Cessaro Wagner

I've narrowed my interest to the list above - I did consider Avantgardes, Voxativ, and some others but ultimately am satisfied with this audition list. Panels don't work for my listening preferences.

to be continued later with my Rockport audition thoughts...

Tannoy monitor golds. 15” preferably.

Get it over with.

Jesper

Reactions: bonzo75

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Update: as mentioned before, I’m arranging a visit to hear the Gamut floorstanders soon. The monitor was one of the few speakers that my mind lost itself in the music (or relaxed). Will see after many auditions since, how they show.

And we are moving to the house shown above in two weeks

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
And we are moving to the house shown above in two weeks
Congrats on finding a new residence :cool:
No the fun will be to find the suitable Speakers to go in there ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing