Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Liquid can be a form of coloration, too.

Most of the subjective attributes we consider positive ones are forms of coloration, but very well controlled. Audio spectrometers do not lie.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Most of the subjective attributes we consider positive ones are forms of coloration, but very well controlled. Audio spectrometers do not lie.
Well they don’t lie about WHAT is there but they tell only a partial story about WHAT you actually hear...and that is a huge difference...

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
There are a number of horn systems that, too me, don't lend themselves to long-term listening. If I had to guess, I'd say that my body couldn't relax when listening because it was always in defense-mode. It was always prepared to brace itself for an aggressive, harsh, distorted, resonant or peaky sound to come from the system. This is pretty much the exact opposite of being drawn into the music and letting it wash over you.
there are lots of systems like that regardless of principle

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
IMNSHO the key feature in a system to create "flow" or continousness is headroom and thus ease of presentation
mostly accomplished by hi eff (+105db) systems

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well they don’t lie about WHAT is there but they tell only a partial story about WHAT you actually hear...and that is a huge difference...

Surely, it is what keeps the high-end going mostly subjective. But what they tell is objectively true. We can't pretend that equipment that is non-linear and shows distortion is coloration free.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I love WBF
A thread that starts off covering someone's journey to investigate new spkrs, revealing doubts and misgivings...ends up revealing someone else's purchase in the same period.

Reactions: bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
33. But I'd still like to know more about the differences in sound/presentation between the 33 and 38.
Congrats on the 33 :cool:
Excellent choice :D
The 33 is way closer to the 38 than the 28 is to the 33.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Surely, it is what keeps the high-end going mostly subjective. But what they tell is objectively true. We can't pretend that equipment that is non-linear and shows distortion is coloration free.

Agreed, high end is 100% subjective. One man's color is another mans flow is another man's distortion. In the end, we pick the type of distortion that we personally like.

This is also seen in live performances as well. My favorite venue for classical music is Walt Disney Hall in Los Angeles. Several musicians, including Chick Corea, believe the venue is too damped.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Careful, coloration is a subjective term and distortion can be completely inaudible, so there can distortion without the perception of coloration even for distortion at objectively high levels. Conversely, there can subjectively unacceptable coloration with objectively very low levels of distortion.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What musicians and conductors like might differ from what audience likes. Rattle likes the Birmingham symphony hall, possibly because he helped in the design, but it is quite boring. Also sometimes for them good can mean either in the playing seat, or that it is very uniform all across. However, for an individual, all he bothers is how it is in the seats he can afford, if the centre is good (like in Barbican), to hell with the rest

Agreed, high end is 100% subjective. One man's color is another mans flow is another man's distortion. In the end, we pick the type of distortion that we personally like.

This is also seen in live performances as well. My favorite venue for classical music is Walt Disney Hall in Los Angeles. Several musicians, including Chick Corea, believe the venue is too damped.

Reactions: jeff1225

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I've decided to get a pair. I think I've exhausted my options for horns. The Universums won't fit in my condo and I've read to many mixed reviews of the Anima to want to spend the money flying off to demo them.
Did you consider the hORNS Symphonies?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
christoph, I see you have Universum, made by Auto-Tech in Poland
their horns are incredibly well made
my JMLC 270 full rollback on TAD 4003 are incredible dead and the aerodynamics from the rollback makes the airflow let go of the horn in a way that doesn´t generate any turbulance or honk...only horn I´ve heard with absolutely no horn signature...
properly cnc´d adapters helps too...

Attachments

• JMLC270-TAD4003 stack.jpg
    JMLC270-TAD4003 stack.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 24
  • JMLC270-TAD4003 adapter.jpg
    JMLC270-TAD4003 adapter.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing