KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, my Zus really struggled in my old space, w one spkr 3' from one side wall, and the other one in free space w no boundary reinforcement. And the rest of my room being a combination of alcoves, mezzanines and corner kitchenette.

Get my Zus fully symmetrical in an even space w no ins/outs, and they've been transformed.

Congrats on dialling in yr sound.

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Avantgarde Duo XDs-

My speaker journey continues – originally, I wanted to demo Cessaro horns but through a host of issues ended up hearing Tune Audio horns instead at a recent hifi show. While they weren’t my cup of tea due to horn coloration and lack of bass, I was encouraged by the dynamics and soundstage they presented. Therefore I decided to search out an Avantgarde demo – which blends a horn with active bass module with in-house DSP vs the other two brands. The mid-range horn is typically crossed over at quite a low 170hz.

As it turns out, a London AG dealer had a pair and I procured a demo last week while on holiday. The Duo XD horns are gorgeous in person – despite their much larger size than in the photos. While aesthetics isn’t important for some, it is necessary for me as my speakers are an integral part of a living room vs. a man cave. The soft blue looked great and better than the sharper blue of AGs of yesteryear – I would love to see the bronze version as well. They were setup pretty near the corners and only about 6” from the wall in a 14x18’ room that had some angles in the corners so wasn’t quite symmetrical. The dealer had optimized settings for this room with a +3 bass push and 30hz higher crossover point than normal. He told me this was the best AG had sounded since they became a dealer in October of last year and they had spent the past 24 hours dialing them in more.

I usually ask for the dealer to put on a few cuts so I can adjust to the speakers before playing my reference tracks. We started off with some simple Miles Davis “So What.” The Siltech preamp and Nagra 300p amplifier were used with a Nagra HD dac and Aurender streamer. I soon moved on to streaming my music, starting off with Jason Isbell and Johnny Cash male vocals with a keen ear on horn coloration. I couldn’t hear any, so we were off to a good start. What I did hear was excellent presence – vocals were appropriately sized still, but took good shape in front off me (and weren’t hanging/dripping as some SET amps like to do and was the case in my Tune Audio demo). The amp/speaker combination was quite neutral – in fact, after a bunch of similar cuts from Christian McBride to Andrew Bird, I quipped that a hair more warmth/texture would be ideal. I note now, that the JJ 300bs are known to be lean in the upper midrange but with excellent bass. What I did find that tonality was very sweet on some Max Richter and other related violins- the highs were clearly not sibilant which was another horn worry I had.

Next I went through my classical and electronica arsenal – I was entirely surprised. There has been a lot of conversation on this thread that horns suck for rock and electronica. Well, they don’t. Instead a nice soundstage was presented with instruments that really popped off the landscape. I actually reached for more electronica than normal with Air, etc as these speakers were really compelling on the genre. Small sounds in the cuts really pop, the sound was extremely enveloping, and I got deep, tight bass that wasn’t staring at me from the floor like with a Martin Logan. I did notice that certain instruments were more on the horn or that they didn’t disappear like my Devores – however, this was effectively countered by the micro dynamics. You really didn’t care as much as instruments were freed from the speaker. This was particularly noticeable on Natalia Lafourcade cuts that I use with guitars that really project forward. I have a sneaky feeling that having the horns 3’ from the rear wall would be much better despite horn fans saying it isn’t. Overall I came into the audition expecting a small sound stage, but did not find that to be the case. I do think you trade some depth for dynamics however.

Sound was big, open, and dynamic. There was a “liveness” in the soundstage that was very compelling. I’m assuming this is due to the extreme sensitivity of the speakers. I will say that on my Explosions in the Sky “wailing guitar” track with tons of distortion pedals involved that there was some harshness. I left wondering if that was actually on the recording, that other speakers are kinder to it, or that this was the JJ tubes. What I can say is that Avantgardes are not going to like a dead neutral amplifier or SS in general. I just think they need a warm of neutral amp (like a YG ironically). Flow never seemed to bother me either – and on horns, that leading edge can be so fast that they require an amplifier that does proper decay like the Nagra. On strings, you really felt the undulation of the bowing project.

Speaking of flow, let’s talk about coherency. The issue with AGs since the beginning is the horns are too fast for the paper bass woofers – and therefore you can hear the handoff. Well I am happy to report that I tried my darndest on several brutal cuts (solo piano, string bass, etc) and couldn’t hear it. This was encouraging and I feel the XD technology makes the difference here. I will say that the bass may have been a hair much for that room, but I typically like a bit shelved down low end these days. The beauty of an active speaker (like I had with Zu) is that’s easy to accomplish. AG has many more settings than a traditional subwoofer from what I’ve been told – and you send in your room acoustics from a microphone kit and they will send back a recommended setting list.

So where does that leave the AG? If one wants a pinpoint imaging, totally disappearing speaker, with razor-like detail then this isn’t one’s speaker at all. But if enveloping sound that has a live element is your thing the Duo XD is hard to beat. I texted my friend @jeffrey_t after that they “sounded pretty rad” if you guys want the unofficial reaction. Will this replace the Devore? I have not made an official decision as I’d like to come back to my room and do more listening after this experience (my ARC has been in the shop to replace a light and receive back today). I can say if I decide to upgrade that I am inclined to go in this direction. I do think AGs are finicky with amps, so there is some work to do on that front.

I had a listening session of Tune Audio Anima with Aries Cerat/Antipode. Didn't find it lacking bass.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I’ve spent the last 5 years demoing speakers in the $20k range, buying used and listening at home. The speakers that complimented my room and system best took several months for me to consistently recognize the compromise of design. Best of luck and I predict a 5% improvement in sq for 2-3 times the price in the range you’re shopping

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Drawing from David Griesinger: The ear's ability to perceive proximity (relative nearness in place and time) relies on its ability to detect direct sound as different from other sound by way of the phases of upper harmonics - reflections tend to randomize/mess-up these phases.

Great to come across someone who's aware of and pays attention to Griesinger! Although he writes primarily about concert hall acoustics and psychoacoustics, I find his insights into proximity, clarity, and envelopment to be relevant to home audio, despite the different timescales involved. Imo Griesinger's ideas are applicable to approximating "you are there" even in modest-sized rooms.

Reactions: tima

tboooe

May 11, 2013
Appointment for this weekend to hear the big Gamuts has been scheduled
I too am very interested in the Gamuts, specifically the RS7i. I've been communicating with Michael and trying to set up an audition at his place. I am very curious to hear your thoughts.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Gamut, part deux:

As mentioned several pages ago - the Gamut was one of the few speakers that I felt very relaxed listening to and really sunk into the music. I believed it was due to Benno's focus on phase with a mid-range that is directly coupled. I returned to hear the middle speaker in the line, the RS5i, this past weekend as before I had only heard the monitor. This 2.5 way speaker is rated flat to 26hz with a pair of 7" scanspeak drivers and ring revelator tweeter. The finish of the speaker again is top notch - the Danes really do excellent cabinet work!

In light of my extensive speaker search, I was curious if my thoughts would change - and I can say they really haven't. I love the Gamuts on certain music - especially classical. They are warm, organic, and rich sounding but with stunning dynamics unlike say a Sonus Faber. This time I really got to feel the bass impact - and believe me, there is a lot of it. The bass isn't as tight as a sealed box, but is very natural with zero bloat. Very controlled, although not quite as good as the Rockport bass for a ported speaker (hard to say in totally different rooms). Dynamics, just like last time, were excellent - still the best I've heard from a dynamic driver speaker. And just like last time, the experience was high on the Keith relaxation meter.

However, just like last time I felt the speaker is a bit sluggish and lazy on electronica with a lack of clarity. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but just that on this genre other speakers have outperformed. That warmth and organic quality on classical and folk rock, etc. didn't quite translate well to other genres. When I returned home, I played the same 5-6 CDs on my Devores and there was more of an alive feeling through the Gibbon Xs and one I felt that was more my cup of tea.

In short, I very much like the Gamuts - and if I was classical only, I very might well own them. But when 1/3 of my music is electronica/down-tempo related tunes this speaker is not the perfect match for me.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
so what's next?

The Long Beach crew and I are planning a visit to Pitch Perfect Audio in the desert to hear vintage Klangfilm Eurodyns, Shindos, etc. Not an audition persay, just to have some different kind of fun. I purchased my Devores there as well. @Ron Resnick in the past may have remarked about the Shindo Altec Valencias experience best - it's like "enjoying a fine scotch"

My current lean is to wait for JD's Super Orangutan. Although there is another speaker out there that interests me - the Boenicke. Just very hard to hear in the States. If I had unlimited funds, I would probably just purchase YG Sonja 2.3s with ARC Ref 10 preamp and Dagostino amps.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If I had unlimited funds, I would probably just purchase YG Sonja 2.3s with ARC Ref 10 preamp and Dagostino amps.

+1 :)
In light of your recent audition, I gotta say this is a pretty "universal" system right there. It should be able to play any genre. I know because I do play just about everything :)
And in your new room, Sonja 2.3 is actually not advisable. Hailey would be great, with REF6 and a D'Ag stereo. Just sayin' :)

cheers,
Alex

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
so what's next?

The Long Beach crew and I are planning a visit to Pitch Perfect Audio in the desert to hear vintage Klangfilm Eurodyns, Shindos, etc. Not an audition persay, just to have some different kind of fun. I purchased my Devores there as well. @Ron Resnick in the past may have remarked about the Shindo Altec Valencias experience best - it's like "enjoying a fine scotch"

My current lean is to wait for JD's Super Orangutan. Although there is another speaker out there that interests me - the Boenicke. Just very hard to hear in the States. If I had unlimited funds, I would probably just purchase YG Sonja 2.3s with ARC Ref 10 preamp and Dagostino amps.

Which Boenicke? I demoed in one of my rooms last year with the tiny W5SE+ and, yes with a large Aries Cerat Genus SET...jaws were on the floor and people trying to figure out if those tiny things REALLY were playing. The middle two floorstanding models are not as impressive for the size/money but the top model with the active bass is pretty darn good (but now it is starting to get pricey when you go for all tuning options) overall. It actually excels at electronic music and is pretty convincing with classical too. It is not uncolored but it is very artfully tuned to deliver a convincing emotional experience. The little W5 we found really needs something special in amplification to deliver it's potential (other amps we tried left us going...cute speakers but...). The big one (W13 I think) seems to be happy with a wide range of amplifiers.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
so what's next?

Yeah, if I HAD to I might be able to live with Sonjas. ;)

Reactions: ctydwn

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Which Boenicke? I demoed in one of my rooms last year with the tiny W5SE+ and, yes with a large Aries Cerat Genus SET...jaws were on the floor and people trying to figure out if those tiny things REALLY were playing. The middle two floorstanding models are not as impressive for the size/money but the top model with the active bass is pretty darn good (but now it is starting to get pricey when you go for all tuning options) overall. It actually excels at electronic music and is pretty convincing with classical too. It is not uncolored but it is very artfully tuned to deliver a convincing emotional experience. The little W5 we found really needs something special in amplification to deliver it's potential (other amps we tried left us going...cute speakers but...). The big one (W13 I think) seems to be happy with a wide range of amplifiers.

Yes, Sven demos with Nils Frahm, one of my favorites. The W13 with middle "tuning" option is at a decent price iirc - not inexpensive, but seems a lot of engineering is inside.

Reactions: morricab

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
+1 :)
In light of your recent audition, I gotta say this is a pretty "universal" system right there. It should be able to play any genre. I know because I do play just about everything :)
And in your new room, Sonja 2.3 is actually not advisable. Hailey would be great, with REF6 and a D'Ag stereo. Just sayin' :)

cheers,
Alex

I meant Sonja 2.2 - yes, certainly correct the .3 version is too big.

Can't say I really warmed up (heh) to the Ref 6 you brought over before.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Can't say I really warmed up (heh) to the Ref 6 you brought over before.

My mistake, won't happen again, it had less than 100 hours. I didn't knew the ARC products well enough, now I do. You just don't show them with this amount of hours.

Reactions: KeithR

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Troublemaker Alert :D

Alex, when are you going to demo for Keith an active line stage preamplifier that he likes more than his passive attenuator box?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
AR really starts opening up from 300 to 600 hours, then stabilizes

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Troublemaker Alert :D

Alex, when are you going to demo for Keith an active line stage preamplifier that he likes more than his passive attenuator box?

When he stops being a troublemaker :D
I've already preferred the MSB Ref preamp and the (non-broken in) ARC to his box. He, of course, preferred his.
His system has a distinctive lack of lower midrange energy that I'm not quite certain is due to 1) speakers 2) that passive box. Could be either or both. A nice active preamp might either fix or go along way towards fixing that.
And given the ARC preamp's superior soundstaging capabilities, I think they'd also fit nicely into his new space, perhaps giving an even wider and deeper soundstage, beyond the physical walls.
Just my 0.02c :p

alex

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sorry, I'm not interested in preamplifiers and feel the Music First competes in the $10-$15k range per my experience (and others). A $30k Ref 10 is a pipedream for my budget.

Ron is biased by his Mod Squad Line Drive experience from the 90s which isn't representative as it was a typical, $500 resistor-based passive, not one with incredible transformers to match impedance.

I believe a Music First to a simple tube amp is a match made in heaven. This belief isn't universal though and others can certainly enjoy preferences.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, I can certainly vouch for yr idea of quality passive pre and tube pwr.

Blue58 runs a Java Triple Shot optologic passive into his home brew 45 tube monos. His AG Duos absolutely shine w this combo, a really impressive combination of neutral, transparent and characterless via the passive preamp, and textured, soulful emotion via the tubed monos.

Certainly if I went horns, I would seriously consider such a combo.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sorry, I'm not interested in preamplifiers and feel the Music First competes in the $10-$15k range per my experience (and others). A $30k Ref 10 is a pipedream for my budget.

It's a pipedream for my budget too. My Octave HP 700 "only" cost $ 15K ($ 12.5K without balance and tone control) and I *love* it. A game changer for my system. Has everything, exquisite tone, dynamics, drive, bass and other goodies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing