KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
While Keith was moving, he gave me the opportunity to demo his Music First passive Pre in my system. I had a nice two week demo and got to really enjoy the unit. In summary, it is an excellent piece of gear and I could easily live with it in my system.

Strengths
Clarity (a purity I'm not used to hearing)
Black background
Absolute silence (zero buzz through my compression driver, unlike my Lamm)
Remote control
Build quality and fit and finish

The only areas where my Lamm beat the Music First were in instrument texture and sound stage. People often say passives lack bass, but that simply wasn't the case in my system. When you think that you dont need tubes, you have a remote and just one knob.....it is a lot easier to own then my Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Interesting Jeff. Although I have criticized Lamm's pots for awhile (and all pots). I'm not a hardened transformer buff, but I'm well aware of which ones sound good (at least a number of them). Eliminating buzz by having a transformer in the path is nice.

It does make one wonder if you could make a Music First work as well in all ways. I would suggest trying a buffer before it (I can answer questions about that if you want, not to derail the convo here).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

Ron is biased by his Mod Squad Line Drive experience from the 90s which isn't representative as it was a typical, $500 resistor-based passive, not one with incredible transformers to match impedance.

. . .

This is true. I do not deny it. :cool:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
While Keith was moving, he gave me the opportunity to demo his Music First passive Pre in my system. I had a nice two week demo and got to really enjoy the unit. In summary, it is an excellent piece of gear and I could easily live with it in my system.

Strengths
Black background
Remote control

The only areas where my Lamm beat the Music First was in instrument texture and sound stage. People often say passives lack bass, but that simply wasn't the case in my system. When you think that you dont need tubes, you have a remote and just one knob.....it is a lot easier to own then my Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe.

And all the texture and sound stage is there upon going from copper to silver TVC/AVC. You called out the two most significant differences I've heard side by side.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Strengths
Black background
Remote control

The only areas where my Lamm beat the Music First was in instrument texture and sound stage. People often say passives lack bass, but that simply wasn't the case in my system. When you think that you dont need tubes, you have a remote and just one knob.....it is a lot easier to own then my Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe.

Did you perceive any difference in dynamics or in “jump factor”?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And all the texture and sound stage is there upon going from copper to silver TVC/AVC. You called out the two most significant differences I've heard side by side.

Why do you suppose that the silver results in the texture that the copper lacks?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I don't know why. I expected small, hard-to-discern differences when I brought in the silver next to my copper unit though. (Not MFA but Emia in my case). Best I can do would be to describe that everything got taller, wider, and deeper. Empty blackness between members of, say, a simple jazz trio suddenly became apparent. Drummer height vs sax height etc., the front to back placement, and total width all changed. I guess an analogy would be noise reduction in the space *between* instruments, and with that seemed to come more texture and fine detail *for* each instrument on top of the dimensionality of everything.

Bass is going to be a strong suit of inductive volume controls. Similarly is a lack of dynamic compression. The impedance mismatch issues that typically arise in systems using passive resistor ladder devices, as an example, are responsible for contrary experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Just to be clear, my comment was not meant as a negative on Keith's preamp. All I said is that I believe another *particular* preamp would *add* things that *his* particular system might need *at this point in time*.
It does seem to be a great piece, and great value for money as well.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I don't know why. I expected small, hard-to-discern differences when I brought in the silver next to my copper unit though. (Not MFA but Emia in my case). Best I can do would be to describe that everything got taller, wider, and deeper. Empty blackness between members of, say, a simple jazz trio suddenly became apparent. Drummer height vs sax height etc., the front to back placement, and total width all changed. I guess an analogy would be noise reduction in the space *between* instruments, and with that seemed to come more texture and fine detail *for* each instrument on top of the dimensionality of everything.

Bass is going to be a strong suit of inductive volume controls. Similarly is a lack of dynamic compression. The impedance mismatch issues that typically arise in systems using passive resistor ladder devices, as an example, are responsible for contrary experiences.

I'd love to try a silver tranny version.

Also, TVCs typically are warmer than AVCs so there is a difference with the two similar, but different methodologies.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A passive box is not an option for me personally (I need active tondrive 55’ interconnects), but I have always loved the concept: maximum transparency, and minimum electronic adulteration of the signal.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Ron, then you REALLY want that Mayers/Pnoes system. I mean, who wouldn't? Lol.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A passive box is not an option for me personally (I need active tondrive 55’ interconnects), but I have always loved the concept: maximum transparency, and minimum electronic adulteration of the signal.

I have measured a few very good interstage audio transformers - Jensen, Lundhal and even the FlexConnect - and I can assure you that they significantly adulterate the signal. The subjective difference in sound type between them was not less than the diffence between typical active preamplfiers.

Considering the output characteristics of many modern source equipment we could easily drive an adequate 55' interconnect using a passive box such as a tapped transformer.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have measured a few very good interstage audio transformers - Jensen, Lundhal and even the FlexConnect - and I can assure you that they significantly adulterate the signal. The subjective difference in sound type between them was not less than the diffence between typical active preamplfiers.

Good information. Yes, it's all theory, like "digital is perfect" or, "vinyl grooves have infinite resolution". The practical reality is always more messy than the theory.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Ron, you made a conscious choice to place your rack in an adjacent room requiring you to have those long ICs. So, you limited your options. We know there are many ways to great sound. Just look how different the General's, Mike's, and dd's systems are. You have heard them all. And soon you will have your own.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

probably not an issue with transformers - i know 10m will work with a TVC. the bigger synergy issue is input sensitivity of your amps (since the box only attenuates gain).

but hey, aren't you lucky that someone who has one can bring it over sometime :D

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Good information. Yes, it's all theory, like "digital is perfect" or, "vinyl grooves have infinite resolution". The practical reality is always more messy than the theory.

sure, but until you've tried one hard to come to any conclusion. also, i'd note that Micro testing off the shelf transformers is of limited value. kind of like testing speaker drivers from parts express and saying a speaker that uses them is great or sucks.

if you want to try a Music First, Emia, Bespoke etc. against active preamps, be my guest. I know 5 audiophile friends that have done so and converted vs expensive active preamps. one didn't work because the lack of gain didn't gel with his amplifier and Jeff (above) had a small preference for what his Lamm adds over what the MF subtracts, but could live with either.

again, i'm not making any universal statement but feel every audiophile should try one out. unfortunately, people say "passive" and all those old $500 boxes come to mine (I had the FT Audio LW1 for like 2 weeks before selling it)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any thoughts Keith why I couldn't get on w the Townshend Allegri AVC? It had everything: resolution, imaging, low level detail. Just no blood.

Fed Audion Black Shadow 845 SETs.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Any thoughts Keith why I couldn't get on w the Townshend Allegri AVC? It had everything: resolution, imaging, low level detail. Just no blood.

Fed Audion Black Shadow 845 SETs.

I thought Townsend was quite poor. Also music first. Ypsilon, and SS pres which seem to sound like passive, Dartzeel and solution, are much more preferable

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You can use a transformer based volume with a buffer or two. You're avoiding the shitty internal volume on many preamps, not the active circuitry necessarily.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing