KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

In terms of your preferences, Ron, what are the characteristics of jazz music that are less suited to alternative topologies?

This is a fair question, Tim, and I hope this is not an unfair answer. Forgive me if this is semantic, but I don’t think alternative topologies are less suited; I think of horns/SET as being optimally suited.

I am focusing here on the characteristics of jazz music which includes brass instruments. I personally believe there is something about the way horn loudspeakers reproduce the sounds of brass instruments which is consonant with the way brass instruments themselves produce their sounds.

To my ears, horns/SET reproducing the sounds of brass instruments sounds closer to live music than how other topologies reproduce the sounds of brass instruments.

This is a fair question, Tim, and I hope this is not an unfair answer. Forgive me if this is semantic, but I don’t think alternative topologies are less suited; I think of horns/SET as being optimally suited.

I am focusing here on the characteristics of jazz music which includes brass instruments. I personally believe there is something about the way horn loudspeakers reproduce the sounds of brass instruments which is consonant with the way brass instruments themselves produce their sounds.

To my ears, horns/SET reproducing the sounds of brass instruments sounds closer to live music than how other topologies reproduce the sounds of brass instruments.

Okay thanks - Pnoe horns for jazz brass horns. Big speakers for small group music. I don't listen to much jazz and what I have in my record collection includes few (any?) brass performers. The handful of jazz musicians I knew in younger times sometimes called the saxophone a horn, but you're specific about brass instruments and clear about what you do and don't prefer.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm unfairly challenging myself speakerwise (cursed?) by my preference for the larger scale orchestral/symphonic format. But in my case music drives the system even with tradeoffs.

i addressed my views on orchestra etc and the pnoe on classical in Ron's report on the G's system, apart from my own report

Whew! lotta work and time by you to get there and it's been interesting to hear about.

Don't know if this a fair question ... What, at this point, are your top three brands?

Tim, that's a really interesting question. I'm going to stir on that today and post a response later. I've heard some really interesting speakers:

Gamut RS3i and RS5i
Wilson Audio Sasha DAW
Rockport Altair II
YG Hailey 2 and Sonja 2
Avantgarde Duo XD and Duo Mezzo
Stenheim Alumine 5
Tune Audio Anime
DeVore Fidelity Orangutan Reference (ha!)

Reactions: tima
. . .

Sometimes I wonder if I'm unfairly challenging myself speakerwise (cursed?) by my preference for the larger scale orchestral/symphonic format. But in my case music drives the system even with tradeoffs.

I agree with you strongly that “music drives the system.”

A musical genre focus on large scale symphony orchestra suggests to me first a tall and large driver surface dynamic driver system (e.g., EA MM7/Rockport Arrakis with subwoofers/VSA Ultra 11/Wilson Chronosonic/Gryphon Kodo), and second a big multi-way horn/subwoofer system (e.g., Cessaro Gamma or Zeta).

The only problem with these systems is the cost of entry.

Reactions: tima
Ron, I love your air of understatement. Cost of entry, no $hit!

Hmmm I dunno, large scale orchestra is often portrayed better with speakers that have higher resolution, large driver stuff, 12+ paper cone type stuff. Horns maybe, too. It depends on whether you want to really have the resolution or you want the physical scale of presentation (speakers Ron's talking about). There is nothing I've heard that comes close to producing both - not even remotely close.

Last edited:
Hmmm I dunno, large scale orchestra is often portrayed better with speakers that have higher resolution, large driver stuff, 12+ paper cone type stuff. Horns maybe, too. It depends on whether you want to really the resolution or you want the physical scale of presentation (speakers Ron's talking about). There is nothing I've heard that comes close to producing both - not even remotely close.

Really? I think the speakers Ron mentioned as well as YG Sonja and AlsyVox panels "do it all" pretty well...

Some larger 4+ way horns as well... Sounds like the General's pnoe can too, but if so it's a unicorn.

Reactions: sujay
I think the stuff Ron named off can do everything well. But if you're all about orchestral, it wouldn't be my first choice. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be for someone else. People like different things when they hear classical. As far as the resolution, ya, I'd say orchestral is better handled by other stuff than smaller less sensitive drivers. There just isn't a way to have both yet, not entirely.

Last edited:
Audiophiles make a decision? Yeah, sure. Until the next one. Keith goes Boenicke. They certainly look the part.

Really? I think the speakers Ron mentioned as well as YG Sonja and AlsyVox panels "do it all" pretty well...

Some larger 4+ way horns as well... Sounds like the General's pnoe can too, but if so it's a unicorn.

For somebody who likes different musical genres approximately equally I think big dynamic driver speakers are the most all purpose or general purpose speakers.

For somebody who likes different musical genres approximately equally I think big dynamic driver speakers are the most all purpose or general purpose speakers.

The best rock I heard along with Mike's was a dual woofer front loaded horn on 3 watts. I don't know how you can compete with two 15 inch woofers in either speaker at 100 db 8 ohms for air movement. the bass solution below 40 has also been discussed recently on the high efficiency thread, various options available

I agree with you strongly that “music drives the system.”

A musical genre focus on large scale symphony orchestra suggests to me first a tall and large driver surface dynamic driver system (e.g., EA MM7/Rockport Arrakis with subwoofers/VSA Ultra 11/Wilson Chronosonic/Gryphon Kodo), and second a big multi-way horn/subwoofer system (e.g., Cessaro Gamma or Zeta).

The only problem with these systems is the cost of entry.

And the size of the room.

In a way, yours is one obvious answer. Go big!

I feel fortunate enough with my 17' x 20' room and modest (compared to a some) budget. So ... given my music preferences and record collection, the challenge is to work in the present context.

Not carrying my system around in my signature, I'll post most of it here:
Wilson Alexia Series 2
Lamm M1.2 Ref monoblocks
ARC Ref 10 Linestage and Ref 10 Phono
Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0 w/ Kuzma 4Point
Various cartridges with the vdH Master Sig today's preferred
Shunyata Sigma IC/SC
SRA Scuttle and amp stands

Slightly larger speakers remain a real possibility though probably not 15" bass drivers; today's 10" and 12" are pretty good. Looking to change source electronics but I'll keep the amps.

Never aimed at a full/large scale presentation and find my 11' listening triangle a 'compromise' sufficient to appreciate the audiophile miracle - that kind of sonic transubstantiation whereby metal, vinyl, wire and glass turn nightly into joy. :)

Reactions: PeterA and Folsom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing