Kuzma SAFIR 9

simonthepieman

Oct 2, 2020
The way I have described the Safir arm is like there's no arm at all just the cartridge floating in the groves. I thought the Safir was "end-game" for me but then I received the CS Port TAT1M2 and as big a leap as the Safir was the CS Port was another magnitude of improvements. (It vs a Kuzma Stabi R yes not in the same $$$ range but still just goes to show the differences in what tables can do al else being equal)
How does the csport compare to an xl air im guessing you have experienced that turntable before opting for the one you use now?

simonthepieman

Oct 2, 2020
The Safir 9 mounted on the Kuzma XL DC TT is a match made in heaven regarding eliminating any VTA adjustment issues with the Safir 9 as you can have the XL DC tonearm tower fitted with a very accurate Digital Gauge to adjust and set very accurately the tonearm tower height to adjust and set the cartridge's VTA (as long as you know how much height adjustment you require to vary the VTA to give you your required VTA setting (ideally the dynamic not static VTA)).
Great posts have you heard the xl air? Are you going down that route in the future?
Really enjoying all the info you supply best wishes Simon

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Hello Marcus I have e the Cs port , the XL air and GP monaco 3 on my wish list
I hear the monaco vs xl air soon at the same UK dealer/importer
Did you hear the Cs port before opting for your xl air love to know your views
Simon
Hi Simon, this is a thread about the Safir 9. Please be on topic and ask questions about the XL Air in the appropriate thread. I will give you my answer there.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Sorry WBF Members for diverging and being off topic from this SAFIR9 thread (although I do mention the great SAFIR9 in my post ;-) )
Now moved my post to the 'Kuzma XL AIR' thread !
Once again apologies !

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Great posts have you heard the xl air? Are you going down that route in the future?
Really enjoying all the info you supply best wishes Simon
Hi 'simonthepieman', My post to reply to your post above is now on the 'Kuzma XL AIR' thread !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Jfrech I can see you use the kuzma products
Did you compare your Monaco 3 to the kuzma xl air ?
If so what are the main reasons you chose the GP product
I am going to listen to both soon in the UK
I have not compared those turntables. I have had my Grand Prix Monaco for about 10 years, just love the sound.

FYI, my Safir 9 is playing beautiful music now. I'll take a pic and post later today. Just love it !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
IMG_3110.jpg

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
They look great together....like the Safir9 was made for the Monaco even more so than for the Kuzma TTs !
Haha, yes and thanks! Oh the sound...everything is quieter than the 4point. Allowing more resolution, dynamics, tonal shading...just more info. It's just mesmerizing to listen to. I do like my cable choice (cardas clear) so far, it's missing what I was hearing with the Kondo wiring. I am NOT saying the Kondo is bad, just has something different than I was used to and liked...

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Haha, yes and thanks! Oh the sound...everything is quieter than the 4point. Allowing more resolution, dynamics, tonal shading...just more info. It's just mesmerizing to listen to. I do like my cable choice (cardas clear) so far, it's missing what I was hearing with the Kondo wiring. I am NOT saying the Kondo is bad, just has something different than I was used to and liked...
Very nice kit jfrech, if you don’t mind me asking, did you get a choice or did you specify the cartridge pin tags . Thank you.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very nice kit jfrech, if you don’t mind me asking, did you get a choice or did you specify the cartridge pin tags . Thank you.
I didn't ask re: the tags. Why? I am assuming they buy the loom from Cardas with the tags already on? Totally can be wrong here...

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I didn't ask re: the tags. Why? I am assuming they buy the loom from Cardas with the tags already on? Totally can be wrong here...
To make sure that the main core that are ( I presume ) plated are not brass as it’s possible they could be then, being Cardas.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi @jfrech

Can you clarify the "so far it's missing what I was hearing with the Kondo wiring....." or for now is it that the Cardas and Kondo are just "different"

I had the Safir here with the Kondo wire and I have the 4 point with the Kondo. The safir transcends so far beyond the 4 point that discussion of wire is moot from my perspective. You just don't realize how much noise is transmitted with a conventional tonearm until you have the safir in place.

On the cartridge tags, I highly doubt that Kuzma buys looms of cardas wire with tags on them . I am sure they have rolls of cardas or discovery or kondo and solder their own tags on. The tags are nothing special just D-sub female connector pins for pennies a piece.

Attachments

• IMG_2343.jpg
    IMG_2343.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4478.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 32

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi @jfrech

Can you clarify the "so far it's missing what I was hearing with the Kondo wiring....." or for now is it that the Cardas and Kondo are just "different"
I felt the silver wire portrayed the sound in a different way than what I was used to with the copper wire. And yes, no need for a A-B comparison on these two arms, the SAFIR is so much better...

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
I may be wrong but it is my guess that highly detailed cartridges may be too much of a good thing with the Kondo-wired SAFIR. My SAFIR is fitted with a diamond cantilever Etsuro. The balance is a bit off.

Wutang-401`

Dec 6, 2023
Sydney, Australia
@ationg how long have you had it? my Audio Note ioGold is thrilling on the Safir and it is quite detailed. The wire burnt in and then disappeared as far as I can tell. I am so pleased I was thinking on writing a post about just how good I am finding the Safir to be. I would have about 200 hours of actual playing time on the arm by now.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I may be wrong but it is my guess that highly detailed cartridges may be too much of a good thing with the Kondo-wired SAFIR. My SAFIR is fitted with a diamond cantilever Etsuro. The balance is a bit off.
I think that's a good description of what I heard "to much of a good thing"

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
You can rest assured that Kondo silver wire is not the culprit and I don’t think Safir is either

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing