Lamm ML2

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have been listening to the original ML2 amplifiers in my system for about six months now. They are my first tube amplifiers. They seem a perfect match for my high efficiency Vitavox CN-191 corner horns. The music just flows forth with ease. Tone and dynamics are the best I've heard in my room, but the real improvement from my last system is the quality of the bass. It is very resolved, extended, rich, and balanced. The music sounds highly resolved and natural. It is very hard to describe the sound, but I am hearing a rare type of magic and beauty from these legendary 18 watt SET amplifiers. They are the heart of the system.

I would welcome any comments and photos from others who have these wonderful amplifiers.

_DSC9329.jpeg

_DSC9290.jpeg

_DSC9334.jpeg

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks to various discussion about Lamm, I decided to try ML2 in my system. Sounded good. It wasn't until I paired the ML2 with matching L2 preamp that the sound went from good to magical. I tried to part the combo but the magic was lost, so to my ears it is really a system approach. Now that some six months have passed, I still feel I am still learning. By that, it is still difficult to pinpoint exactly what draws me into the sound. It is not the most neutral or most dynamic, and it does not sound like typical SET with 300b/2a3/45 tubes. Bass is very linear, providing a good foundation to the music. There is no anomaly to the sound. The midrange is also very humanly if there is ever such thing. The challenging part is of course to find a matching speakers for them, something I am still working on. I have ddk to thank for the introduction to them.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thanks to various discussion about Lamm, I decided to try ML2 in my system. Sounded good. It wasn't until I paired the ML2 with matching L2 preamp that the sound went from good to magical. I tried to part the combo but the magic was lost, so to my ears it is really a system approach. Now that some six months have passed, I still feel I am still learning. By that, it is still difficult to pinpoint exactly what draws me into the sound. It is not the most neutral or most dynamic, and it does not sound like typical SET with 300b/2a3/45 tubes. Bass is very linear, providing a good foundation to the music. There is no anomaly to the sound. The midrange is also very humanly if there is ever such thing. The challenging part is of course to find a matching speakers for them, something I am still working on. I have ddk to thank for the introduction to them.

Isn't it interesting how Lamm electronics can sometimes drive speaker choices, particularly in the case of the ML2. I had the same interest as you and started the thread: Best contemporary speaker under $100k for Lamm ML2.x type amplifiers?
I later amended that to include vintage speakers as well.

I also concur about having a Lamm preamp go with a Lamm amp as a way to further 'unlock' the magic in the amp, particularly in the lower frequencies. And not just for the ML2 - there is a synergy between the L2 and the hybrid M1.2 and M1.1. I agree it can be difficult to describe the Lamm sound.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Tim, I found great success with my LP2.1 and LL1 driving the M1.1s that David sent me on loan. The Magicos never sounded better. Then I hooked up the ML2. The Q3s were under powered, but then and there I heard the SET magic in my room for the first time. That brief listen confirmed what I had heard in Utah and I called David to send me the Vitavoxs.

More people should try the Lamm M1.1 and M1.2 with speakers like Magico.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I'm pretty sure that I suggested you to try that combo years ago :D

Reactions: tima

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I am impressed and it’s certainly possible. Did you suggest the phono and preamp also with the NOS cable and power cords? (Joking)
No, only the M1.x as I myself don't have the matching Lamm Preamp

Reactions: PeterA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Isn't it interesting how Lamm electronics can sometimes drive speaker choices, particularly in the case of the ML2. I had the same interest as you and started the thread: Best contemporary speaker under $100k for Lamm ML2.x type amplifiers?
I later amended that to include vintage speakers as well.

I also concur about having a Lamm preamp go with a Lamm amp as a way to further 'unlock' the magic in the amp, particularly in the lower frequencies. And not just for the ML2 - there is a synergy between the L2 and the hybrid M1.2 and M1.1. I agree it can be difficult to describe the Lamm sound.
I totally agree Tim

I initially owned the ML 2.1 for years and loved it but once Vlad introduced his Signature series I couldn't resist buying them. I haven't looked back since. For me it is the mid range that draws me in. I have never had electronics that produce such a natural sound. I have said here many times that Lamm is integral to my system and I will never sell them. I've told my wife that I will be buried with them.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Big fan of the ML2.2 on Wolf von Langa for those considering a modern production speaker to match. Remarkable pairing.

Industry disclosure: I'm a dealer for Lamm and I import WVL into the States.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim, I found great success with my LP2.1 and LL1 driving the M1.1s that David sent me on loan. The Magicos never sounded better. Then I hooked up the ML2. The Q3s were under powered, but then and there I heard the SET magic in my room for the first time. That brief listen confirmed what I had heard in Utah and I called David to send me the Vitavoxs.

I never had the presumption to recommend the M1.2 to you back when you had your Magicos. Or the LP2. I may be wrong, but did you have an Xono at one time? I'm glad you had a chance to hear the M1.1 on your Q3s to know what is possible.

I bet that call to David was pretty darn exciting: "Send me the Vitavox" !

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I've told my wife that I will be buried with them.

Well, really, there is no rational reason for them to experience such an unproductive demise. I am sure many members here would be honored to safeguard them in memoriam.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Can the Lamm line stage preamplifiers drive 50 or 60 feet of interconnect?

Are any of the Lamm line stage preamplifiers hybrid, with a solid-state output stage?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I totally agree Tim

I initially owned the ML 2.1 for years and loved it but once Vlad introduced his Signature series I couldn't resist buying them. I haven't looked back since. For me it is the mid range that draws me in. I have never had electronics that produce such a natural sound. I have said here many times that Lamm is integral to my system and I will never sell them. I've told my wife that I will be buried with them.
It would be interesting what other electronics compare. I know you’ve owned ARC intube land.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It would be interesting what other electronics compare. I know you’ve owned ARC intube land.

Keith, I don't know if this was meant for me or Steve but over the years I have owned several ARC tube components (Ref 2, Ref2 SE, Ref5 SE) and currently own their top-of-the-line Ref 10 linestage and Ref Phono 10 (which btw is for sale at a v. attractive price.) The Ref10+RP10 as expected have excellent synergy not unlike Lamm pre and amps are synergistic.

I had the ARC 250SE monbolocks in my prior room for several months and included a comparison wih them in my review of the Lamm M1.2 Ref for TAB. I thought very highly of those specific ARC amps and still do (but bougt the Lamm.) There will be a time when I compare the M1.2 and M2.2 hybrid amps - very interested in the M2.2.

I made a comparison between the ARC Ref Phono 10 and the Lamm LP2.1 in my review of the latter for PF.

I have copius notes on the the ARC RP10 compared with the in-house Lamm LP1 Sig phono for its coming review, and also notes comparing the Ref10 linestage with the in-house Lamm L2.1 Ref for its review. Those are next year.

Fwiw in 2009 writing for Soundstage I compared the Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe with the twice-the-price Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk.III preamp when I owned the latter unit. That was my first encounter with Lamm electronics back when I still a newbie reviewer and knew nothing, but of course the review was spot-on. ;) Shameless tout that I am, there may be a surprise review in '22 that also talks about Lamm gear.

The Lamm Web site has a page listing many review links organized by specific component. Many of those reviews include comparisons. I'm partial to Paul Bolin, Dick Olsher and a few others.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: ddk

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, really, there is no rational reason for them to experience such an unproductive demise. I am sure many members here would be honored to safeguard them in memoriam.

Yes, I am sure that many people would probably be interested in safeguarding them for free. A pity no one in Europe has still shown to buy my L1 and ML3 at a decent price, I am not interested in being buried with any high-end. I have hope that I will be able to change equipment several times before such event. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing