microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would love to hear the ML3s driving the 98dB sensitive Goebel Divin Majestics.

Maybe Elliot can tell us of his experience driving this speaker with SET amplifiers.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro, did you have a chance to compare those two Lamm amplifiers on your Wilsons Or any other speaker? If so how would you describe the differences?
Yes, I swapped them many times on the XLF. The ML3 is surely a better amplifier, but listening to the M1.2ref immediately shows that, at less in my long room, the XLF needs better damping and perhaps more power (current?) to have real dynamics.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would love to hear the ML3s driving the 98dB sensitive Goebel Divin Majestics. Maybe Elliot can tell us of his experience driving this speaker with SET amplifiers.
Do you have an impedance plot of them? I am finding that impedance versus frequency is the critical parameter when using SET's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do you have an impedance plot of them? I am finding that impedance versus frequency is the critical parameter when using SET's.

No; Goebel's website says the impedance dips to 3.3 ohms at 100Hz.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No; Goebel's website says the impedance dips to 3.3 ohms at 100Hz.
It quite similar to XLF's at around 500 Hz. Oliver Göbel referred they are adequate for low power tubes. Maybe they can use the Lamm ML3, but at a cost of almost almost half a million euros ... :oops:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Divin Noblesse:
Impedance

nominal 4 Ohm
Impedance minimum in single wiring 3,8 Ohm at 100 Hz

So for bi wirable versions should we expect something different?

I am happy to agree to disagree, but I would not be comfortable driving a 95dB sensitive speaker with only 32 watts. I personally prefer more "headroom" than that.

That's why I suggested the Majestic at 98dB sensitivity.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I am happy to agree to disagree, but I would not be comfortable driving a 95dB sensitive speaker with only 32 watts. I personally prefer more "headroom" than that.

That's why I suggested the Majestic at 98dB sensitivity.
It all depends on how they took those measurements Ron, you can't go by posted numbers without knowing what's behind them. Kharma Exquisite Midid Grand is only rated at 91db but it's an excellent match to the ML3, much better than the higher rated Wilson Alexandria & XLF which I find lacking or at best borderline. Francisco is correct;
... the XLF needs better damping and perhaps more power (current?) to have real dynamics.
Wilsons need higher damping and lot more current to get those heavy long throw woofers moving properly.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, I swapped them many times on the XLF. The ML3 is surely a better amplifier, but listening to the M1.2ref immediately shows that, at less in my long room, the XLF needs better damping and perhaps more power (current?) to have real dynamics.

Thank you Francisco. I think I know what you mean. I’ve listened to the ML2 and the M1.1 pretty extensively but on different speakers with very different requirements. They are both superb amplifiers but certainly suited for different speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It all depends on how they took those measurements Ron, you can't go by posted numbers without knowing what's behind them. Kharma Exquisite Midid Grand is only rated at 91db but it's an excellent match to the ML3, much better than the higher rated Wilson Alexandria & XLF which I find lacking or at best borderline. Francisco is correct;

Wilsons need higher damping and lot more current to get those heavy long throw woofers moving properly.

david

Most interesting...I have read that the big Wilsons thrive on limitless power and will gladly use whatever amount of high quality current/power you throw at it. I also realize magic comes in different flavors and there is undoubtedly a big amount of magic with Wilson and Lamm by nearly all accounts. Would love to hear XLFs with the mighty Lamm ML1/ML3 some day. Would also love to hear the XLFs with Gryphon monos or even Boulder 3060s.

Micro - are you now decided on keeping the Siegfried IIs with your XLFs? If so, will you move away from your ARC Ref 40 to VTL 7.5 MkIII? I remember how often you have espoused matching preamp/amp. (And another generation of preamp and amp later for me, and I have not done it yet!)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Micro - are you now decided on keeping the Siegfried IIs with your XLFs? If so, will you move away from your ARC Ref 40 to VTL 7.5 MkIII? I remember how often you have espoused matching preamp/amp. (And another generation of preamp and amp later for me, and I have not done it yet!)

Nothing decided ... Currently the priority objective is reducing the gear stock , I do not want to carry everything with me when I move in a few months!

I appreciate all my equipment, I could easily live with any electronics I own. To be fair at this level, IMHO there is no "better" or "best", just what matches better or I want to prefer ... ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nothing decided ... Currently the priority objective is reducing the gear stock , I do not want to carry everything with me when I move in a few months!

I appreciate all my equipment, I could easily live with any electronics I own. To be fair at this level, IMHO there is no "better" or "best", just what matches better or I want to prefer ... ;)
Fair enough. BTW, do you prefer your Vivaldi transport with Redbook or the Taiko with the same redbook album? I only ask in case you ever decide you want to unload the Taiko! (Highly doubtful, I am sure!)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I went back though this thread trying to find where this turned from "I love the Lamm" to "I need to sell the Lamm" but then I got stuck in the DDK speaker posts.....

• Haha
Reactions: ddk

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I wonder what it is about Kharma that make them different. They look like average high speaker company that might measure pretty poorly.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I wonder what it is about Kharma that make them different. They look like average high speaker company that might measure pretty poorly.
I ve never heard this particular combo , but high overall speaker impedance would likely be the answer .
( i ve read somewhere once that kharma uses series filters )
Also i think long throw heavy " out of phase " woofers in general are particularly dificult for Sets to control as david already stated.
I m not saying i think the wilson ( focal audiom) woofers XLF , X2 are bad woofers though

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thats the US fault :) , everybody in the world follows mostly blindly what most US reviewers / marketeers write as the latest greatest thing that has landed on planet earth
Magazines hate it when a company just makes 1 good product and sticks with that for 10 years.
They cant live/ survive of that

To the extent that what you say is true, I think this tends to be more true with the US print magazines (TAS & Stereophile) than with on-line or e-zine publications. I've said this before: of the very few, pity the designer/manufacturer who gets it right in the first place - he is punished by the absence of reviews for not churning out new products every 5-6 years. Those publications will rarely publish a second review of a piece of gear, though there are occsional exceptions.

Though not a review, both print magazines do have have annual issues where they give ratings and divide equipment into classes of "relative superiority", A, B, C, etc. Stereophile allows older products to appear, identified as "especially deserving". For example, the 2019 Oct. issue of Stereophile lists both the Lamm LP2.1 phonostage and the Lamm M1.2 Ref in Class A for solid-state power amplifiers (actually it's a hybrid but there is no category for that.) I believe those evaluations held true in 2020 as well, but don't have that issue readily to hand. However - the presence of an older piece on their list seems to be at the discretion of an all powerful editor and they drop many gears off their lists claiming: 'has not been reviewed recently'.

As for e-zines, there is greater flexibilty for both the writer and the editor. The now 18 year-old M1.2 Ref remains unchanged since its launch in 2003. I reviewed it for The Audio Beat in 2015:
This review is neither a salute to an aging superstar nor a testimonial dinner for a legacy product. With numerous strong contenders in the $20,000-$30,000 range, I was skeptical about the tenability of a ten-plus-year-old product in today’s market. Given the advance of technologies, the ever-shortening product cycle demanded by marketers, and the tendency of some audiophiles to get squirrelly when they don’t have the latest and greatest -- and with no M1.3 on the horizon -- I wanted to know where this decade-plus-old product stood. Is this model viable going forward in stasis?

Likewise the LP2.1 phonostage was reviewed this year at Positive Feedback.

Print and on-line magazines are good at introductions. Great products stay alive because they are great products and the collective audiophile mind will not let them be forgtten. This is part of the genuine value of the WBF forum - a place where, imo, we do not "mostly blindly follow what most US reviewers / marketeers write as the latest greatest thing that has landed on planet earth."

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
For one I believe that Kharma's sensitivity figures are more honest than some others. Probably the impedance is another factor but one of the main contributors to the magic is Kharma's bass quality. Unlike Wilson's large, heavy slow woofers that without a large amount of current are always slightly behind the mid and high drivers playing catch up Kharma's 11" Omega F Drivers are extremely light and fast. Music happens at high speed big slow drivers will never sound natural.

I spec'd the Midi Grand Exquisites with F Drivers in place of the usual Kevlar drivers they come with.

david

Reactions: opm and Folsom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing