Lamm ML3 + LL1, at last!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
So what would explain the "dying" of the amps on the nominally 96 dB sensitive speakers?

BTW, my bad, I should clarify "my minimonitors at the time", I don't use them anymore.

There are a lot of variables and I do not now all of them. Under damped drivers with over damped boxes, particularly with acoustical gain choices that like feedback, and potentially being current hungry with low impedance are all factors.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I posted this example to simply refute the claim that Lamm was never paired with appropriate speakers at CES. There was one show I think in 2005 where there was a pair of Bionors with Lamm plus later version Vitavox.
i was not at that show with the stereo pair. only the one with the single.
The guy with the big Kharma Exquisite MIDI grand was considering Wilson but chose the Kharma. Apparently it’s an easier load. The pairing sounded quite good to me.
without actually comparing a specific Kharma to a specific Wilson with the Lamm ML3's it's just conjecture, but my expectations would be it's an easier load and a more musical match. and would expect to really like it.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My recollection of Steve William's ML3/Alexandria combo in Danville was exemplary sound (at least for me) that I still hold as a mental model within the limitations of aural memory. The imaging was magical.

I can't imagine anybody finding it loose or uncertain unless their ears have been drilled clean by sharp sounding amps.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
An audio buddy of mine once bought nominally 96 dB sensitive speakers thinking that his 15 W/ch triode amps (same as I had at the time) could drive them. The amps unceremoniously "died" on the speaker, with a flat and undynamic sound. These speakers had a 10 inch woofer for the bass which seemed to be the problem.

My minimonitors of much less nominal sensitivity (90 dB) at 4 Ohm, but with only a 5 inch midwoofer, could easily be driven very dynamically by the same amps.

It's not just specified sensitivity, but driver surface area as well. The Kharmas have lots of surface area.
Athos 10s have possibly the most beastly 10 inch pro driver for bass…not a problem…my guess is that 15 watt amp had an inferior output transformer….

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Drivers nominally 'efficient' in terms of sound output can nonetheless have current requirements that exceed the nominal efficiency for optimal performance. Maybe it has to do with weight and stiffness of the drivers (and possibly other issues with crossovers etc.).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
yes, i had the Kharma Exquisite 1D......sold to me in 2001 by......drum roll.......David Karmeli......who in partnership with Bill Parrish was the new Kharma distributor. those Kharma's were also 91db efficient 4 ohms. but a reasonably easy impedance curve and first order crossover. so 75 Tenor OTL watts was enough in my small room until the Tenor's decided to go 'boom'.....which they did 2-3 times and typically destroyed an Accuton ceramic mid range driver.

i preferred those Kharma's on the Tenor's to the also great and more sorted Lamm ML2's at that time, which directly compared to the Tenor's seemed just a touch 'dark', never heard them on ML3's. first time i heard ML3's was on Wilson Maxx's at a show. and i was quite taken with that combo even though it was a bit mushy. but i was hooked and eventually, years later, got a set of my own to play with and scratch my itch.

the original Tenor 75 watt OTL mono's were very, very special sounding amplifiers. too bad they were not yet a mature product when i owned them.

Almost bought a pair of Tenor OTLs when I had my OTL phase…kind of glad I didn’t based on the kaboom stories…the hybrids that came later aren’t nearly as good sounding IMO…

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I had the Graaf GM 20 and later the GM 200 back in 2008 together with the matching pre amp.
That thing was hot , i had one tube failure on the GM 200 , it was unpractical but sounded nice on vocals

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
R Koda was a very good match for the kharma Midi Grand.
My favourite sound of MOC 22 together with Lyra /CH.
Fit n finish of the Kharmas is excellent

If i had the Midi grand id probably put a Gryphon Apex on them better safe then sorry lol.
I have no idea if the LAMM ML3 can drive them , best is to hear it like peter did

Ps if all goes well i ll be listening to a R Koda K10 shortly on a Pilium power amp

For whatever reason, this room was terrible…the antithesis of dynamics. All colleagues I met at the show felt the same…no one liked it.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
For whatever reason, this room was terrible…the antithesis of dynamics. All colleagues I met at the show felt the same…no one liked it.

:) Who cares i buy what i want , so should everybody else
(First rule of investing buy whats out of favour / nobody wants)

If i had to listen to the stuff you and bonzo liked i wouldnt even be in high end audio , i d buy a nice motor bike instead :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: cjfrbw and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
:) Who cares i buy what i want , so should everybody else
(First rule of investing buy whats out of favour / nobody wants)

If i had to listen to the stuff you and bonzo liked i wouldnt even be in high end audio , i d buy a nice motor bike instead :cool:
Especially the music ! ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Do you want me to mention all the rooms at Munchen 22 and 23 that sounded bad / nothing special .....
I dont think you wanna go there :cool:.

Ps Regarding the wilson XVX / NAGRA set up i made an exception but that was just because the american sound media called it "best of show " and it triggered me .
For the most part i respect exhibitors

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Do you want me to mention all the rooms at Munchen 22 and 23 that sounded bad / nothing special .....

Ps Regarding the wilson XVX / NAGRA set up i made an exception but that was just because the american sound media called it "best of show " and it triggered me .
For the most part i respect exhibitors
Knock yourself out…I don’t really care what you thought was bad…you lost me at what you thought was good…

Reactions: christoph

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Do remind us all of exactly how many of your ‘Commercial’ transducers that you have sold in …. How many years of posting here ? whilst posing as a speaker manufacturer ! Sooooo , As brad posted knock yourself out and lets hear your ‘Professional ‘ speaker manufacturer considerations of Munich 22 / 23 ?

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Do remind us all of exactly how many of your ‘Commercial’ transducers that you have sold in …. How many years of posting here ? whilst posing as a speaker manufacturer !

I will tell you if you show pictures of your system and make a accompanying video of your system playing music :cool:
For the rest my company is a private company and not listed on the stock exchange so i m not obliged to tell you anything by law ;)

Ps You can check my website

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I will tell you if you show pictures of your system and make a accompanying video of your system playing music :cool:
For the rest my company is a private company and not listed on the stock exchange so i m not obliged to tell you anything by law ;)

Ps You can check my website
YAWN … Is that all you got Mr Andromedaaudio Speaker manufacturer ? We will take that as a Big Fat Zero then ;)

Reactions: jeff1225

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing