Lamm Repair?

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Already have one unit with Lamm being repaired and now my preamp is having an issue. I don't want to send it to Lamm because it take too long and the communication is bad. Anyone know a Lamm repair tech?

Jon

Oct 23, 2012
Agree with djsina2. Have used Ben in past and he’s always done a great job.

JM1221

Jul 20, 2021
Already have one unit with Lamm being repaired and now my preamp is having an issue. I don't want to send it to Lamm because it take too long and the communication is bad. Anyone know a Lamm repair tech?
USA Tube Audio in Scottsdale, AZ does Lamm repairs as well.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I understand your issue. Lamm is in the middle of moving Lamm Industries to a different state so their attention is in a lot of areas right now. I'll suggest sticking with them for repairs. Their parts are tolerance screened for their specific models and no one knows those model better their own techs . For future reference, some manufacturers are not inclined to do work on units repaired elsewhere. Alternatively at least check with them about outside technicians such as suggested by JM1221.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I understand your issue. Lamm is in the middle of moving Lamm Industries to a different state so their attention is in a lot of areas right now. I'll suggest sticking with them for repairs. Their parts are tolerance screened for their specific models and no one knows those model better their own techs . For future reference, some manufacturers are not inclined to do work on units repaired elsewhere. Alternatively at least check with them about outside technicians such as suggested by JM1221.

Especially since they have a history of refusing to provide schematics to techs, even for discontinued products! And to further complicate matters, from a third party technician's point of view, these components are not point to point wired. So, you really want to stick with Lamm to service Lamm despite the hassle.

• Sad
Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Especially since they have a history of refusing to provide schematics to techs, even for discontinued products! And to further complicate matters, from a third party technician's point of view, these components are not point to point wired. So, you really want to stick with Lamm to service Lamm despite the hassle.
I agree with Tim

AFAIK their chief technician has made the move to Florida with the Lamm family

Reactions: ddk and tima

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In any case, Lamm circuits are simple, and although using top quality components their circuits are simple and the parts are common high quality parts, as often referred in their marketing - no custom audiophile parts. They should be easily serviceable by a qualified technician, and although the schematics would be of great help, owners and technicians can easily reverse engineer most of them.

Considering the rugged parts being used we can expect them to be very reliable - but the Achiles knee of tube equipment are tubes. Specially in these troubled Lamm times people should carry preventive maintenance - replace the tubes in due time, do not wait them to fail. Remember that sometimes when tubes fail they take with them one or two resistors.

Reactions: christoph

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Just to follow up, I was able to work everything out with Elina Lamm. Both units are repaired and working great. Not sure about other's experience but the lack of communication in this case was due to the move and obviously Vladimir's passing. I can confirm that they aren't letting schematics go out :)

Reactions: tima

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Not as bad as I feared. Don't ask me what they did though. Their repairs are stated to bring the unit back to new specs, regardless of what the issue is and regardless of cost. I think I agree with that on principle. I wouldn't want any half repaired examples of my product out there and if you've purchased a Lamm, you can probably afford the repair.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
They should be easily serviceable by a qualified technician, and although the schematics would be of great help, owners and technicians can easily reverse engineer most of them.

I've heard at least two stories from previous Lamm owners to the contrary. Qualified technicians being unable to repair Lamm products at all, let alone easily. So, your mileage is definitely going to vary. It's best to beware.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Is it common practice for an electronics manufacturer give out schematics? That sounds like giving out proprietary information. Why risk the technicians junior assistant posting them on the Web?

Reactions: Steve Williams

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
If you buy in to a business in order to become a regional support/service center, you'd have vested interest in keeping a lid on things. NDA, something something. Get a little imaginative.

Reactions: KeithR

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Is it common practice for an electronics manufacturer give out schematics? That sounds like giving out proprietary information. Why risk the technicians junior assistant posting them on the Web?

Audio Tekne sends big fold out blueprints with each piece. It’s really amazing.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've heard at least two stories from previous Lamm owners to the contrary. Qualified technicians being unable to repair Lamm products at all, let alone easily. So, your mileage is definitely going to vary. It's best to beware.

It depends on the products. I can imagine some difficulty in the hybrid amplifiers, tube equipment should be easier to service.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

It is very common for those having distribution all over the world. Surely the current schematics are usually confidential. As far as I know Audio Research and Conrad Johnson give out schematics of legacy equipment - they are easily accessible on the net. Tube amplifiers are intrinsically protected against copy - the more critical part is the output transformer. If we request a schematic from a known brand at DIYaudio we have a good chance to get it. Anyway we will probably get service from Lamm at this place soon:

a1.jpg

Reactions: Steve Williams

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Anyway we will probably get service from Lamm at this place soon:

It will be a lttle while; tubes are available but may take a bit longer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Any one has news on the Lamm move to Florida? When are they expected to be back in normal operation?

Reactions: Fishfood

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing