LampizatOr Baltic 3

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
As the Antipodes K50 provides a very good reclocked AES/EBU Signal, the AES/EBU Input of the Baltic 3 is my favorite one.
I am not sure, if this is coming from the Baltic spec of the inputs or from the output spec of K50.

Have you tried the USB from K50 to B3 and found AES/EBU to sound superior ?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Have you tried the USB from K50 to B3 and found AES/EBU to sound superior ?
yes.
Which is in line with the K50 recommendation

Reactions: DeMarko and Devg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The next tube rolling level is done,
I replaced the stock JJ ECC 802 S with their original siblings:

Telefunken ECC 802 S

In comparison the JJ is more forward, more analytical, in a way more contemporary.
The Telefunken Original is more soft, but I like the timbre of the voices a lot.

The 6SN7 position is now booked by a pair of NOS

RCA VT99 (a 6F8G type)

using some Polish adapters.

They sound more powerful than the 6sn7 tubes I tried before, music has more energy.
Together with the softer Telefunken I like the total blend.
No change in recti, I will definitely try out other types than the EML 274.
Specially as my PhonoPre is using the same recti.

I am listening actual a lot to "Theodor Bastard", a Russian music project,
which will be in favor for all "Dead Can Dance" lovers.

This set of tubes makes the music even more involving and the voice from Jana Vera more magic.

IMG_5484.jpg IMG_5487.jpg IMG_5486.jpg IMG_5485.jpg

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Shakti, where did you get those adapters? I had ordered a disparate pair of VT99s and Chinese adopters weeks ago to try with the demo unit I had. As bad luck would have it, I had to give the demo unit back yesterday and the darn adapters and ONE tube arrived today. I was really eager to try it as I can't use VT99 in the Pac. Ah well, I always wanted a pair of VT99 as Lukasz loves them. I think the B3 will create an online chase for VT99s. LoL

Reactions: Golum

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi Shakti, where did you get those adapters? I had ordered a disparate pair of VT99s and Chinese adopters weeks ago to try with the demo unit I had. As bad luck would have it, I had to give the demo unit back yesterday and the darn adapters and ONE tube arrived today. I was really eager to try it as I can't use VT99 in the Pac. Ah well, I always wanted a pair of VT99 as Lukasz loves them. I think the B3 will create an online chase for VT99s. LoL
Their is a Polish source for the adapters, I bought here:

It is already difficult to find a matches pair of this tubes in Europe, it seems, that the B3 effect is already there :)

Reactions: wisnon

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Good good friend of mine got few weeks ago B3 with beautiful copper top and i really like the look. He’s in love with the unit and SQ but told me i destroyed his life as now each weekend he’s rolling tubes for entire night :D :D :cool:
B3BC5761-64B3-49F3-8D36-3E8DD3B21BFD.jpeg 3391015B-9808-4508-BFEF-09BE8869E327.jpeg

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

It is already difficult to find a matches pair of this tubes in Europe, it seems, that the B3 effect is already there :)
Thanks.

For the vt99 availability, I can only SIGH! I had to keep cost down for practical purposes, so I bought a disparate pair, one white, one black. As I don't have a b3, it was more for curiosity and well.I always wanted a pair of Lukasz's fav tube.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Got mine here from China. Identical price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pc-gold...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Good good friend of mine got few weeks ago B3 with beautiful copper top and i really like the look. He’s in love with the unit and SQ but told me i destroyed his life as now each weekend he’s rolling tubes for entire night :D :D :cool:
View attachment 76044 View attachment 76045
what kind of rectifier is it?
I assume, an adapter is needed as well?
need to try this strange looking tube :)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
what kind of rectifier is it?
I assume, an adapter is needed as well?
need to try this strange looking tube :)
The famous Frankie! The us military 596 recti. Yes, it needs an adapter

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
It also has a smaller sibling. Can’t recall the name now. Imagine Frankie with vt99

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
My B3 is on its way across from Poland. As you know, Lucasz does not supply the unit with a mains power cable. For those of you that have a B3, can I ask what power cable you use with it please? My dealer wants to sell me one for a four figure sum which seems somewhat steep and I have sticker shock!

Reactions: DeMarko and etunes

xdaggersoul

Jan 25, 2021
Singapore
My B3 is on its way across from Poland. As you know, Lucasz does not supply the unit with a mains power cable. For those of you that have a B3, can I ask what power cable you use with it please? My dealer wants to sell me one for a four figure sum which seems somewhat steep and I have sticker shock!
I use Nordost Vishnu with mine

Reactions: Nikko

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Any good quality power cord will do. I use Swisscables and the gray Lampi power cord on my electronics.

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
I would suggest not to hurry and get several four figure sum cables on loan just to try :) If you never heard what really good mains cables can do, you might be in for a big surprise. Lampizator has bang for the money cables in three figures. They are sold separately. Or at least used to be available. Or ask Greg what he has for demo.

Personally I prefer to go as high as I can with the mains cables having experienced what they do. My favorite from fairly priced ones is High Fidelity Cables Reveal, maybe you can get it on loan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikko

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The next tube rolling level is done,
I replaced the stock JJ ECC 802 S with their original siblings:

Telefunken ECC 802 S

In comparison the JJ is more forward, more analytical, in a way more contemporary.
The Telefunken Original is more soft, but I like the timbre of the voices a lot.

The 6SN7 position is now booked by a pair of NOS

RCA VT99 (a 6F8G type)

using some Polish adapters.

They sound more powerful than the 6sn7 tubes I tried before, music has more energy.
Together with the softer Telefunken I like the total blend.
No change in recti, I will definitely try out other types than the EML 274.
Specially as my PhonoPre is using the same recti.

I am listening actual a lot to "Theodor Bastard", a Russian music project,
which will be in favor for all "Dead Can Dance" lovers.

This set of tubes makes the music even more involving and the voice from Jana Vera more magic.

View attachment 75915 View attachment 75914 View attachment 75913 View attachment 75912

Dear Juergen,

Thank you for reporting on your Baltic-3 tube rolling endeavors!

In this particular case I don't want to learn about the ingredients, or how to cook the recipe in the kitchen; I just want to sit down in the dining room and eat.:) What specific tube replacement(s) for the Baltic-3 would you recommend if I want to copy your achievement of replacing the stock tubes to "make the music even more involving and the voice . . . more magic"?

(Please suggest something where I don't have to get into finagling around with third-party adapter devices.)

And what basic streamer do you recommend for the Baltic-3? Is there any reason not to use the Innuos ZEN Mk3 or the ZENith Mk3?

Thank you.

Ron

Last edited:
Reactions: Puma Cat

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Dear Juergen,

In this particular case I don't want to learn about the ingredients, or how to cook the recipe in the kitchen; I just want to sit down in the dining room and eat.:) What specific tube replacement(s) for the Baltic-3 would you recommend if I want to copy your achievement of replacing the stock tubes to "make the music even more involving and the voice . . . more magic"?

(Please suggest something where I don't have to get into finagling around with third-party adapter devices.)

And what basic streamer do you recommend for the Baltic-3? Is there any reason not to use the Innuos ZEN Mk3 or the ZENith Mk3?

Thank you.

Ron
Lukasz has some favorite tubes, the 242 and the VT99 are part of it.
From there I still would recommend :

2x Shuguang 12AU7-TG
2x RCA VT99
1x Kron 5U4G

The usage of VT99 was recommended by Pawel, a Lampizator representative and I can perfectly agree to it.

As all Lampizator DACs are made to individual customer order,
I would recommend to order the Baltic 3 with the VT 99 / 68FG PIN layout , than you do not need an adapter, can imagine,
that Lukasz can ship with Kron Recti plus RCA VT99 plus some nice 12AU7 as well :)

A Innuos Zen or Zenith would be a good companion, as the Baltic is using the latest generation USB input board,
In my set up the Innuos PhoenixNET LAN switch was a bigger improvement as the Innuos Phoenix USB clock.
You might get both units from your Innuos dealer to find the best in your set up.

Reactions: abeidrov and Golum

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Juergen,

Thank you.

Ron

Actually, he was not teaching you how to cook, but just how to sample the different dishes in a buffet so that you can load the plate with your choice

Reactions: iain

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Lukasz has some favorite tubes, the 242 and the VT99 are part of it.
From there I still would recommend :

2x Shuguang 12AU7-TG
2x RCA VT99
1x Kron 5U4G

The usage of VT99 was recommended by Pawel, a Lampizator representative and I can perfectly agree to it.

As all Lampizator DACs are made to individual customer order,
I would recommend to order the Baltic 3 with the VT 99 / 68FG PIN layout , than you do not need an adapter, can imagine,
that Lukasz can ship with Kron Recti plus RCA VT99 plus some nice 12AU7 as well :)

A Innuos Zen or Zenith would be a good companion, as the Baltic is using the latest generation USB input board,
In my set up the Innuos PhoenixNET LAN switch was a bigger improvement as the Innuos Phoenix USB clock.
You might get both units from your Innuos dealer to find the best in your set up.

This is perfect, Juergen! Thank you so much! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing