LampizatOr Baltic 3

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
Greg Drygala asked me to post my experiences of tube-rolling with my new Baltic3 DAC. I expanded the brief a little to talk about the bigger journey with Lampizator and to highlight the excellent service I received from Greg.

I've had the ambition to upgrade to a Lampizator DAC for literally years now and that opportunity presented itself, mid-pandemic, when all I could do was eat, work, walk the dog and listen to music.

Greg provided great advice. He talked me out of buying an Amber3 in favour of the Baltic3 and arranged with Lucasz to custom-build a version with volume/pre-amp. Once my order was placed, Greg drove out to Wiltshire with his demo Baltic3 and some spare tubes for rolling.

Coming from a BMC PureDac to the Baltic3 was a massive upgrade in of itself. I spent the first few weeks running through my catalogue rediscovering music with a stupid grin on my face. Greg checked in a couple of weeks later, asking if I had experimented with replacing the Psvane blue globes? When I asked “why”, he told me to “just do it,” and to start with the Sylvania 6SN7GTB tubes he had provided.

This first experiment with tube rolling was a huge eye-opener. The Sylvania tubes are simply so much better at everything. More detail and soundstage, a more organic presentation, better bass; they simply delivered much more engagement with the music. It was like listening to a different, better DAC. The Baltic3 manual does explain that the 6SN7 tubes deliver 80% of the sound quality, with the remaining 20% then split equally between the 5U4G rectifier and ECC82 output tubes. But who reads manuals?

With the wind in my tube rolling sails, Greg talked me into trying out a Psvane Acme 5U4G rectifier to replace the stock Russian version. It delivered a more modest, but still noticeable improvement to overall solidity and control of the musical presentation. In Greg’s words, it proved to be “a keeper”.

Some three months later, my new DAC arrived. Switching volume control from the digital domain of HQPlayer to analog relay circuits inside my Baltic3 made another huge improvement. The DAC was clearly driving my Boulder power amp much more effectively. As you might expect, I left the stock rectifier and 6SN7 tubes in their box and installed the Psvane Acme and Sylvania tubes in their place.

Whilst I was burning in the new unit, I ordered another set of tubes to experiment with. From Hong Kong, I ordered a matched pair of Psvane CV181-T Mark II Classic Grade tubes. And then I ordered a matched pair of Telefunken ECC82-TK tubes for the output stage. The inspiration for these tubes came from a Baltic3 owner who posted his journey on a Lampi tube rolling thread here on Whats Best Forum. More fun: the Telefunken added more drive and bass but the greatest surprise came from the Psvane tubes. Compared to the Sylvania tubes, these CV181s add more presences, detail and bass definition, tilting the presentation more towards the analytic and away from the organic presentation of the Sylvania tubes.

And therein lies the problem. As I said to Greg, jokingly, where does this all stop? The good news is that tube rolling with the Baltic3 is relatively inexpensive given the improvements on offer. And it’s fun in its own way to change the performance of the DAC. For now, I’ve decided to settle on the Psvane CV181s and allow them to burn in (300 hours minimum). It’s time to get back to the music.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Awaiting for B3 to arrive got some toys for it... FFDF40E6-8E17-4751-8317-8B53D402D288.jpeg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
You're not helping my condition here, Golum ;-)
I'm more then sure Greg will take good care of you...but anyhow aim for the VT99 (6f8g) ;) - you need adapter for those btw

Reactions: Nikko

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
As predicted, Greg has a couple of VT99s. He was telling me that the quality of the adapters is critical. Fortunately, he has some good ones from Poland available too ;-)

BTW, Golum, you might want to try those Psvane CV181-Ts I mentioned above. I bought them at the recommendation of Shakti earlier in this thread. The sound they yield is almost holographic.

Last edited:
Reactions: shakti and Golum

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
As predicted, Greg has a couple of VT99s. He was telling me that the quality of the adapters is critical. Fortunately, he has some good ones from Poland available too ;-)

BTW, Golum, you might want to try those Psvane CV181-Ts I mentioned above. I bought them at the recommendation of Shakti earlier in this thread. The sound they yield is almost holographic.
CV181-Ts is still my recommendation for new stock tubes, but the VT99 is a next step up (at least in m set up), so VT99 is the way to find out :)

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
VT99s have arrived. Just giving them their first outing with the reassuringly expensive Polish adapters. Nice, subtle improvement to bass definition and overall detail, with a more laid back presentation. As compared to the Psvane CV181-Ts

Attachments

• IMG_1900.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    450.8 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Polish adapters under the name of woo audio - don’t think so ;) hence the price associated...
Glad you like the VT99

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
LOL, you have an eagle eye there, Golum! Quite right.

Greg has also provided me with a pair of red base CRC5691s to try, which he tells me are the absolute GOAT ;-) But also a pair of Sylvania 7N7 (and adapters) to try. Oh, and three different sets of EEC82s. Am in over my head!

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
OK, I'm glad I can communicate to you that You've been officially accepted as a member of the Lampi tube roller lunatics club.
It's a very prestigious institution and members are accepted after very rigorous selection process. :p :cool:

Cheers

• Haha
Reactions: Nikko and Lampie519

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
Thank you, Golum. I was trying to imagine what it must be like to invest in some expensive solid state device, in the knowledge that what you hear is what you're stuck with going forwards. I am a new convert to tube rolling and, now I have religion, I am turning into a bit of a preacher ;-)

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I am a new convert to tube rolling and, now I have religion, I am turning into a bit of a preacher ;-)
Will send you club rules and constitution but for sure above written is one of the main member duties :)

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
@Nikko... which particular Sylvania 6SN7GTB did you use and do you have a good source?

xdaggersoul

Jan 25, 2021
Singapore
Long awaited post! Here is my B3 with Sophia Aqua 274b, RCA VT99 w Polish adaptors and stock JJ ECC802s. The VT99 changes the sound quite a bit from the stock Psvane UK6SN7. More listening to be done
IMAGE 2021-05-19 17:23:51.jpg

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
Tube rolling lunatic update.

The most important decision, the 6SN7 tube position, has now been made. I lived with the Raytheon VT99 tubes for just over a day. They are very much a step up from the Psvane CV181-T tubes (which, themselves, were a big step up from the standard Psvane items).

Then curiosity got the better of me, so I swapped out the VT99s for a pair of RCA red base 5691s. And it wasn't even close. These tubes are phenomenal. They bring delicacy, precision, realism. If you can get your hands on a pair, then seek them out. Now I am waiting to find out what Greg wants for them ;-) IMG_1905.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Golum and Lampie519

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
The most important decision, the 6SN7 tube position, has now been made. I lived with the Raytheon VT99 tubes for just over a day. They are very much a step up from the Psvane CV181-T tubes (which, themselves, were a big step up from the standard Psvane items).

I'm sure the RCA's are great but I just want to add that for years I wasn't very attracted to tube rolling but with my B3 I finally got it! I've missed out on so much fun! In the beginning I had several tubes coming in at the same time and I couldn't resist swapping them in and out, feeling familiar? :)

but.... my experience is also that some tubes can take a lot of time to burn in or come to life. I recommend trying to keep a tube running for at least 3 weeks before judging it, I know it's hard when there's others lined up and waiting though. Myself was about to give up on the Melz 1578's which I found way too stiff and correct for several weeks and today it's definitely up there among my favorites. I'm currently using Tung-Sol VT-99 though.

I love to read about your tube findings with your B3, keep it up! :)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I recommend trying to keep a tube running for at least 3 weeks before judging it, I know it's hard when there's others lined up and waiting though
I would rather count the hours of playing than the weeks sticking in the gear ;)
IME after around 50 hours even the slowest settling tubes should be there
Enjoy your wonderful DAC and the tube rolling :cool:

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
I would rather count the hours of playing than the weeks sticking in the gear ;)
IME after around 50 hours even the slowest settling tubes should be there
Enjoy your wonderful DAC and the tube rolling :cool:

sure, and of course there's no exact number for the time needed and it might be different for different tubes, but I can say that after 50 hours playing time I was still about to put my Melz away in a box somewhere, they needed a lot more time. I'm just saying that sometimes it can be worth to give things some extra time to settle.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
sure, and of course there's no exact number for the time needed and it might be different for different tubes, but I can say that after 50 hours playing time I was still about to put my Melz away in a box somewhere, they needed a lot more time. I'm just saying that sometimes it can be worth to give things some extra time to settle.
I fully agree with you :D

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing