Lampizator Big7 MK2 Upgrade

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Has anyone had their Big7 upgraded to an MK2? If so, can you explain the difference in sound before and after the upgrade? I guess a comparison of an original Big7 and the current MK2 would be relevant as well.

It does seem a pretty significant change. I am considering having this done but I am curious what others have heard.]

For David and anyone else curious I just wanted to offer a bit of clarification.

As significant as the e53 engine is (which alone justifies the upgrade price) there is more to the upgrade than just that. The new tube heater circuit for example plays a huge role in lowering noise floor and getting the most out of those triode tubes by driving them at optimal rather than approximate voltage. The analog output stage itself is significantly revised as well.

Think of the Big 7 mk2 upgrade significance as being similar in proportion to the GG vs GG2 upgrade. It is *very* meaningful.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Whilst running the tubes to spec will produce the best results not doing so will provide greater variance in sonics when rolling.

In a way that's half the fun. That said it's all swings and roundabouts. Optimal settings for each valve type should give the best overall results.

Another point is running a valve to spec is unachievable. For instance PX4 shows a big variance when measured on your average valve tester and even looking at the manufacturers spec they vary.

So the reality is that running to exact spec is unachievable in practice especially in terms of output level.

Getting very close to at least the voltage ratings for heaters is very easy with a selector switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
The R2R and the E53 are both auto-sensing when it comes to PCM and DSD. Works flawlessly on both.

My sonic preference regarding Lampi engines is the following:

The 5942 I like the least, the R2R I really love but the E53 is better sounding and absolutely awesome for the price of the DACs it is used in.
The E53 is only bettered by the E57 in the Pacific DAC that is in another league of it's own.

If you don't want to go Pacific, I would upgrade your Big 7 to the E53 engine.
As much as I really love the R2R engine, the E53 is just better ;)
I wonder, if E53 and E57 engines are based on AK4493EQ and AK4497EQ chips;)? Just a wild guess.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I got my Big7 MK2 back today and have been doing some listening. It definitely seems like the noise floor is lowered and there is a greater ease to the musical presentation. It is still too early to make an real assessment but so far so good.

I like the new back plate. Very clean with all the switches’ functions we labeled.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
So glad to read your initial impressions are positive.

Can't wait to read more as things burn in and you get a handle on the upgrade.

Best,

Fred A.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I got my Big7 MK2 back today and have been doing some listening. It definitely seems like the noise floor is lowered and there is a greater ease to the musical presentation. It is still too early to make an real assessment but so far so good.

I like the new back plate. Very clean with all the switches’ functions we labeled.
Hi, please could you provide some more insight into before and after the upgrade? I am waiting on the sidelines to get some actual user impressions before taking the plunge.
Thanks in advance!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I will but it will take a little while until things are completely broken in.

I did notice within the first 20-30 hours that the noise floor seemed lower.

Reactions: sujay

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am really enjoying the "new" unit. The music seems to be more natural to me. The bass is deeper and the noise floor is definitely lower. I think it is still breaking in but I am very happy with what I am hearing.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am excited to try a pair of PX25s but I still no idea when Best300B is going to ship them. I ordered (and paid for) them 2 weeks ago but have no clue what’s going on. Franek there hasn’t been very communicative.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I am excited to try a pair of PX25s but I still no idea when Best300B is going to ship them. I ordered (and paid for) them 2 weeks ago but have no clue what’s going on. Franek there hasn’t been very communicative.
Sorry to hear that. Did you try to get ahold of him via email?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Sorry to hear that. Did you try to get ahold of him via email?

Yes. After a week he apologized for being on vacation and offered me 10% off. I wrote back and said thanks, no problem. It has now been another week. I wrote and just asked for an expected shipping date and have heard nothing. I know they aren’t dishonest but their lack of communication isn’t good business.

Reactions: sujay and christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes. After a week he apologized for being on vacation and offered me 10% off. I wrote back and said thanks, no problem. It has now been another week. I wrote and just asked for an expected shipping date and have heard nothing. I know they aren’t dishonest but their lack of communication isn’t good business.
I only got to know Franec as a very nice and polite young man :)
I hope this will be solved asap to your satisfaction.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

I don't doubt they will turn up. I had trouble returning some KR RK 300Bs due to the Polish post but it all worked out in the end.

PX25 is dead good in my DAC. Better than 242. But now I have changed my preamp to a Luxman C-800F the EML 45 Globe Mesh is mating fantastically with it. Even the bass is fabulous - not a supposed 45 strength. Be interested to see what the system makes of 242 with this change.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I am absolutely with you. I am still waiting for a date when I can sending my unit for upgrade.......for the last 3 months! Either Lukasz is sailing or on a holiday. I think they are running their business like an extension of their hobby and attend to their clients when they get time off from vacationing!

• Haha
Reactions: ingemar

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am absolutely with you. I am still waiting for a date when I can sending my unit for upgrade.......for the last 3 months! Either Lukasz is sailing or on a holiday. I think they are running their business like an extension of their hobby and attend to their clients when they get time off from vacationing!

Best300B is not Lukasz’s business. It is his son’s.

I sent my Big7 to Lukasz and got it back within 2 weeks. Great service and fast turnaround.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Best300B is not Lukasz’s business. It is his son’s.

I sent my Big7 to Lukasz and got it back within 2 weeks. Great service and fast turnaround.
Thanks. I am talking about my Big 7 upgrade and my comment was on his lampi business. Maybe I wanst clear. Irrespective, my point was on the wait period to send my unit off to them. Once it’s with them it usually comes back in 2 weeks - my experience as well

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

Hi Sujay,

Where are you located? PM me and I will get the ball rolling on your upgrade for you this week.

Fred A.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing