LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I read this entire thread before I received my new GA TRP. I’ve also skimmed and searched more than I care to admit.

I took a different direction for rectifiers. I email Lukasz asking if it was okay to use a very unconventional rectifier device. He said yes, so I placed an order for a Space-Tech Labs Super Tube Rectifier. the STR-1002. I’ve been aware of the Super Tube Rectifier for a few years. Eventually I took a pass and filed it away as a curiosity. Then a buddy of mine started watering that seed…

View attachment 128884
View attachment 128885
View attachment 128886
It can use a pair of 211, 805 or 845 tubes and uses the pair as a full wave rectifier. Use of a single tube for half wave rectification is also possible.

There is an umbilical cable that goes in the rectifier socket on the TRP and goes to the back of the STR.

Also in the back is the IEC. The power supplies the heater current for the tubes.

This means the component, TRP in this case only needs to supply the high voltage AC to be rectified so the power supply of the TRP is on easy street.

Last year I finished my dedicated fully treated room. That was and still is the best thing I’ve ever done for my music system. I had extremely high expectations and knew that it was necessary to get the absolute best musical experience I could. It delivered!

After upgrading from a Holo Audio MAY KTE to the GA TRP I was thrilled and figured I would spend my extra cash on other hobbies and interests. Thanks to my buddy watering the seed I ended up with the STR.

I was expecting a change, I was not ready for how transformative it would be! It sounds like a new system. It’s the most involving reach out and touch the music sound I’ve ever heard. Music flows through out the room in a magical way. I was running a Sophia 274b Aqua II and then the EML 274b Mesh. The Sophia is bold and juicy with plenty of density. The EML is more extended and faster, much better attack and space.

The STR with a pair of 845s is more of both! I really don’t get how that is possible.

I’ve had a paradigm shift of my understanding of density, mass, palpability and aliveness of reproduced music.

Details like cymbals being lightly activated when the kick drum is struck. Not since I added all the room treatment have I been so blown away with now much things have changed.

When I had the MAY KTE DAC my vinyl setup was better across the board. Once the TRP had 200+ hours, some things I preferred about the TRP and vinyl still was the king for almost everything. Now with the STR-1002… The TRP is beating the vinyl side in most aspects.

Another thing I really don’t understand. The whole system seems like it has unlimited power now. Isn’t this the realm of the amp and speaker combo? I’m running a 20 watt tube amp into 96db speakers. So plenty of SPL potential. Listening at less than 80 db peaks there is an incredible sense of power—when called upon—to the music.

I have 120 hours on the STR now. I’m still not sure how to express and convey how much of a positive impact this has had on my enjoyment of my system.

I also elected for the choke option. I’ve just recently started listening with the choke active.

Activating the choke is a significant change. Active it gets euphoric, dreamy, enveloping and extra trippy. What is traded is attack, dynamics and precision. Don’t think that those traits are lost when the choke is active. It’s just not as intense compared to no choke.

I’m doing my best to restrain myself and not be too over the top with my joy of adding the STR. The thing is it’s one of the most mind blowing components I’ve ever added to my system so it’s hard not to.

I’ve been having more fun, experiencing more joy and being overwhelming high on life since I’ve added the STR-1002 Super to my system. It could be it’s the last piece in a long journey to the sound I’ve been chasing for half my life.
Very interesting. I'm surprised that we haven't heard of this previously. What does the STR cost?

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
Very interesting. I'm surprised that we haven't heard of this previously. What does the STR cost?

I’m also surprised. I’ve been thrilled with it. Ordered some adapters to run 300B tubes in it, will be interesting to compare to the jumbo tubes.

Depending on the model and options $784 to $1,744+ USD.

Wjhen

Oct 21, 2019
My Lampizator Golden Atlantic TRP is back from lampizator with engine 11-p. It has now about 150 hours on it, and I start to get an idea on how it sounds compared to engine 53 of TRP-2. To me, the most important thing engine 11 brings is more control during complex passages in music. It is more detailed but naturally detailed, more nuanced. The ‘see though’ quality is much improved as is bass and bass control. But it is still a nuclear bomb in a small package (see page 1), Dynamic and fun…

When I used the Siemens F2a and the Elrog 274B in the TRP-3, which were my reference for the TRP2, it became too much of a good thing. I really get the comment of Budburna about hyperreal and augmented reality. The TRP2 needed the F2a to keep things in control and make it a very open sounding detailed dac. I am not sure if the TRP-3 needs it as much as the TRP2 does. Replacing the Elrog 274B with the Telefunken rgn2004 mesh helped a lot to recreate a more natural listening experience. Still not 100% satisfied I replaced the Siemens F2a with the Western Electric 350B. I have used these in the TRP-2 as well. Very nice, but no competition for the Siemens F2a. But now in the Engine 11 TRP it was exactly what I needed. Still utterly dynamic, but more natural. Music in a big open space. All instruments have their natural position. Not overly highlighted, more easy on the ear. In the TRP2 the WE350B lacked control and was a bit easy going. Not any more. It is a match made in heaven.

Moral of the story, the TRP-3 with engine 11 is a different beast than the TRP-2. It demands a careful evaluation of tubes. What worked perfectly in the TRP-2 not necessarily works best in the TRP-3. Recent posts in this thread indicate that maybe the way forward for TRP-3 users is to start exploring the Indirectly heated triode territory, the 6J5, 6C5, CV6 etc. I have just bought the GEC CV6. Very curious what that brings.

Attachments

• TRPEngine11pWE350b.jpg
    TRPEngine11pWE350b.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
Anyone know the output impedance of TRP2 w/ F2a output tubes (if the output tubes matter)?
For anyone else who might be interested, Lukasz verified the outpt impedance of the TRP is approx. 2k ohms, kept high to maximize the musicality.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing