LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
@Golum or anyone else really. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of every tube type the TRP can take?
Ive read this thread repeatedly,and I know about the KT66/77, EL34s, 6v6,but wondering what others I can safely experiment with.

My Glenn OTL has turned many owners into tube rolling addicts,and im looking for a fix. ;)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
The ones i know for sure except the ones you mentioned - Kt88,90,120,150,6L6. These ones i know for sure but guess there is more...

Reactions: Monsterzero

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
The early 1970s GEC KT66 tubes I mentioned before have been fabulous, just as Golum has reported (at the price, I should have purchased a couple more for safekeeping). I've been holding off mentioning more on alternate recti tubes until I got a chance to give them some time. Not quite complete yet, but here goes:

- Marconi Osram military U52 1955 (used but tested well): Nice warm alive sound but had ringing and thus trouble with complex passages. Maybe bad example. Returned for money back

- Brimar 5Z4G -- euphonic and very good all around, but had this sense that it was sedating me rather than enchanting

- Osram U50 - this is one fabulous tube, with clarity, delicacy, articulation, speed, air, large holographic staging in all directions. Just one big negative for me -- it's not at all romantic (emotional draw); not so much cool as detached. Changing a 5V LPS power cable feeding an iFi spdif iPurifier from Paul Hynes' silver to Zenwave Audio Furutech FP-S55N copper solved the warmth problem by half.

- 596 (from dminches) - just received adapter from Bulgarian seller yesterday -- initial impression is very good all around; not quite as clear as the U50 but warmer and richer. Needs some time. Maybe the Woo Audio adapter at $100 would help it, although there seem to be different opinions about that. I'd want to be more certain that the tube is a keeper before taking that step. However, I ran into a problem with the adapter worth mentioning. The cord used is too thick and inflexible and 90 degrees off to the TRP's cord cutouts, so I can barely get seating of the adapter, having to squeeze the cord to get the adapter far enough in to seat at all. Plus it's hard against the shelf above, which makes moving the dac tricky, as well as one cord leg being up against the output tube. See the photos below. Something to pay attention to if you're adapter hunting. I have another adapter with seemingly better cabling coming from Hong Kong.

Attachments

• 596 tube fit 1.JPG
    596 tube fit 1.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 596 tube fit 3.JPG
    596 tube fit 3.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Hi Dminches - I liken the U50 tube to the KR 242, you will need to bring the romance in from somewhere else, IMO. When you do, it's worth it.

Reactions: christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The ones i know for sure except the ones you mentioned - Kt88,90,120,150,6L6. These ones i know for sure but guess there is more...

If KT88 works I expect 6550 will.

I would definitely want to try the EAT KT88 in it. Why? Because the Tesla Vrsovice KT88 in my Air Tight ATM2 from years ago was by far the best KT88 I ever heard. It was mind blowingly good.

The EAT is that same tube I believe, only priced much higher.

If it doesn't sound fantastic in the Atlantic I'd be surprised.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
If KT88 works I expect 6550 will.

I would definitely want to try the EAT KT88 in it. Why? Because the Tesla Vrsovice KT88 in my Air Tight ATM2 from years ago was by far the best KT88 I ever heard. It was mind blowingly good.

The EAT is that same tube I believe, only priced much higher.

If it doesn't sound fantastic in the Atlantic I'd be surprised.
Yes, you are right - 6550 can work for sure as well...

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yes, you are right - 6550 can work for sure as well...

2nd best in the Air Tight was NOS Tung-Sol 6550. But believe me even though that bettered many other KT88/6550s the EAT was better by a good margin again.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Well i for certain know that buddy tried TungSol 6550 in TRP and he “liked” them so much that he send me a pair as a gift as i use them in Ref6 power supply for something...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
- 596 (from dminches) - just received adapter from Bulgarian seller yesterday -- initial impression is very good all around; not quite as clear as the U50 but warmer and richer. Needs some time. Maybe the Woo Audio adapter at $100 would help it, although there seem to be different opinions about that. I'd want to be more certain that the tube is a keeper before taking that step. However, I ran into a problem with the adapter worth mentioning. The cord used is too thick and inflexible and 90 degrees off to the TRP's cord cutouts, so I can barely get seating of the adapter, having to squeeze the cord to get the adapter far enough in to seat at all. Plus it's hard against the shelf above, which makes moving the dac tricky, as well as one cord leg being up against the output tube. See the photos below. Something to pay attention to if you're adapter hunting. I have another adapter with seemingly better cabling coming from Hong Kong.

I have many tube adapters. I have never seen one with that thick a jacket. Maybe it does a better job of shielding but that is really thick. Hopefully you can find an adapter which works better for you.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi Dminches - I liken the U50 tube to the KR 242, you will need to bring the romance in from somewhere else, IMO. When you do, it's worth it.

Highstream is saying that the U50 isn’t that romantic or am I misunderstanding your comment?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Highstream is saying that the U50 isn’t that romantic or am I misunderstanding your comment?

That's true. I use "romantic" to signify a reasonable degree of warmth, a sound that draws the listener in. It's not that I get tired to listening with the U50, such as I do with some gear, especially "neutral" cables that drive me batty. Rather, I find myself left cold much of the time, not invited in except through the U50's many fine "audiophile" characteristics.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
That's true. I use "romantic" to signify a reasonable degree of warmth, a sound that draws the listener in. It's not that I get tired to listening with the U50, such as I do with some gear, especially "neutral" cables that drive me batty. Rather, I find myself left cold much of the time, not invited in except through the U50's many fine "audiophile" characteristics.

I agree with you completely. My SET amplification helps with that.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Ever since receiving the TRP with volume control about a month ago, there's been a buzz/hum from my speakers readily audible at my 8+' listening position. Anyone else experience this? My connection is direct from dac to ATC active floorstanders, and all power is run through a PS Audio regenerator (P15), with all cords and cables off the floor and separated by at least 1/2"-1". With a Directstream dac, I didn't have more than an ear-to-speaker hash/buzz, but that is solid state. I've arranged to send it to Lampi's tech support guy in the States, but he may not be able to recreate it. Another option on the horizon is getting a tube preamp, although I'm told anything produced earlier may still pass through. In any case, before I send it off, it seems worth asking here.

Re the adapter cord jacket, I sent the Bulgarian guy the photos and he's going to make me another gratis.

Reactions: Monsterzero

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
Ever since receiving the TRP with volume control about a month ago, there's been a buzz/hum from my speakers readily audible at my 8+' listening position. Anyone else experience this? My connection is direct from dac to ATC active floorstanders, and all power is run through a PS Audio regenerator (P15), with all cords and cables off the floor and separated by at least 1/2"-1". With a Directstream dac, I didn't have more than an ear-to-speaker hash/buzz, but that is solid state. I've arranged to send it to Lampi's tech support guy in the States, but he may not be able to recreate it. Another option on the horizon is getting a tube preamp, although I'm told anything produced earlier may still pass through. In any case, before I send it off, it seems worth asking here.

Re the adapter cord jacket, I sent the Bulgarian guy the photos and he's going to make me another gratis.
I have the TRP w/ volume control as well,but no buzz whatsoever. Im tapping off of the TRP with Vampyre RCAs,feeding into a vintage receiver>Focal Aria 905 bookshelves. The out again into my Glenn OTL headphone amp. And then again out to my Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum amp out to GoldenEar T2s. No buzz/hum in any of the systems. All plugged into a PSAudio Dectet.

Good that Deyan comped you a new adapter. He refunded me for the adapter that went up in flames,but when I pressed him what he'd do if the GEC U18/20 was toast he didnt respond. Luckily my precious 4 volt rectifier survived.
Outside of Deyan I dont know of any other adapter makers outside of China.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Glenn R makes adapters.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Glenn R makes adapters.

Who's Glenn R and where do I find him? I just did a site search on that name and it came up blank.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Who's Glenn R and where do I find him? I just did a site search on that name and it came up blank.

You can find him over at head-fi.org.

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
Glenn R makes adapters.
Sorry to say but Glenn is out of the adapter building business. He currently has a six month wait on his amps and he simply doesnt have any time to build adapters anymore,though he did step up this week and threw together a 4v>5v adapter for my amp.

His username on headfi is 2359glenn. You can hit him up,but dont be surprised if he declines.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Here is my 300B amp that he built:

2420533A-F1EF-474D-811C-BF3A60874042.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing