LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The I2S input on the TRP with the R2R chip is now broken in, and its sounding fantastic! Sophia Electric tubes have become my daily drivers.

I was wondering if there's anyone in / around Boston that wants to come check out my setup and see what you think. I am fully vaccinated (as of Jan) and I think its relatively safe now. If you are up for it, hit me up!
Very nice :cool:
What is your preferred rectifier in this combo?

Reactions: perfusionist

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Going blue all the way :) Sophia electric 274B.
Have you tried other recties as well?
If yes, can you elaborate some more on the differences?

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
Hi Lampi owners. I was wondering if anyone has hooked up an Entreq grounding station to their Lampi? I just did, but I have found the Entreq takes a day or so to make any changes. Thanks in advance.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Received Philips 4654 pair today, along with 4654 to EL34 adapters from China. As you can tell from the photo, there was likely to be a problem: the lower base construction on the adapters is a little too wide for the TRP case hole, vs. the EL51 adapter base. I've got the 4654's in the EL51 adapters running right now, but in terms of internal electrical construction, is there or should there be any difference between the two adapters? Thanks,

4654 vs EL51 to EL34 adapter.jpg

Last edited:

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
Curious, what power cords are people using with their TRP or Lampi in general? I'm using an FTA Elara now but would like to try out some others.

Thanks.
I've used the Wireworld Electra 7 to good effect, and now Shunyata Venom V12 NR, which does exactly what it is advertised to do with reduced noise. Quite a striking change improvement for a PC on either the TRP GA DAC or the Innuous streamer.

Also, the GA TRP is far from bass shy in my system (Pass labs XA100.8 monoblocks, Von Schweikert VR5 Anni's, Pass XP22 or Benchmark LA4 or latest Don Sachs preamp, Innuous Zenith mkIII streamer, diverse mix of cables), especially with the Tesla el51s and most of the nice rectifiers as recommended in this thread. It can be bass shy with the wrong tubes, especially for the output tubes, however.

Also, it sounds much more dynamic/alive/ballsy with the extra gain (switch on the back) and I wouldn't use it any other way in my system.

This is an Amazing DAC, and an equally wonderful thread going, here, gents. Thanks to all who have contributed!

Last edited:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Funny you should ask, I was just going to post.

The setup is a little bass shy. I'm guessing the Lampi rather than the LDMS. Does anyone's (everyone's) TRP do deep bass? The system sounds really nice, way more open and refined, but on cuts I know really well (like Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain") with bass below 60(?) hz there's not as much heft as there was with the solid state PS Audio. Is it my tube selection, Fuggly Franks with Takatsuki rectifier tube?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Give it time. Report back in a few weeks. You may end up preferring the bass on the TRP.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Received Philips 4654 pair today, along with 4654 to EL34 adapters from China. As you can tell from the photo, there was likely to be a problem: the lower base construction on the adapters is a little too wide for the TRP case hole, vs. the EL51 adapter base. I've got the 4654's in the EL51 adapters running right now, but in terms of internal electrical construction, is there or should there be any difference between the two adapters? Thanks,
Looks like you have a different TRP chassis to me, because the adapter on the right works fine in mine.

Also, double check with the seller of the 4654 adapter. They will know as they also make EL51 adapter.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: leftside

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I've used the Wireworld Electra 7 to good effect, and now Shunyata Venom V12 NR, which does exactly what it is advertised to do with reduced noise. Quite a striking change improvement for a PC on either the TRP GA DAC or the Innuous streamer.

Also, the GA TRP is far from bass shy in my system (Pass labs XA100.8 monoblocks, Von Schweikert VR5 Anni's, Pass XP22 or Benchmark LA4 or latest Don Sachs preamp, Innuous Zenith mkIII streamer, diverse mix of cables), especially with the Tesla el51s and most of the nice rectifiers as recommended in this thread. It can be bass shy with the wrong tubes, especially for the output tubes, however.

Also, it sounds much more dynamic/alive/ballsy with the extra gain (switch on the back) and I wouldn't use it any other way in my system.

This is an Amazing DAC, and an equally wonderful thread going, here, gents. Thanks to all who have contributed!
Where is there a gain switch? I don't see one on my TRP. I have a volume control, I'm thinking that's the answer. I set volume control at -9. Don't know if that's in line with what others are using but I thought that sounded best.

P.S. I'm using the Tesla el51s with a Takatsuki rectifier. I have a Shuguang and a KR recti and I thought the Takatsuki worked out best. I'm using a FTA power cord right now for the TRP.

Reactions: christoph

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Where is there a gain switch? I don't see one on my TRP. I have a volume control, I'm thinking that's the answer. I set volume control at -9. Don't know if that's in line with what others are using but I thought that sounded best.

P.S. I'm using the Tesla el51s with a Takatsuki rectifier. I have a Shuguang and a KR recti and I thought the Takatsuki worked out best. I'm using a FTA power cord right now for the TRP.
Takatsuki make some of the finest new production tubes out there, but pricey. I have their 300B in an amp.

Reactions: christoph

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018

The gain switch is only without volume control, sorry! IMO, it's not the GA TRP lacking bass, as my system has ample deep bass (down to 22Hz as measured REW software) with incredible dynamics with the el51s installed, to where I occasionally check to see if my dual 18" Rythmik subs that I use for HT were left on.

Have you tried switching polarity at all amp or speaker terminals? From what I can tell the GA TRP inverts polarity. My tube rectified preamp that inverts polarity sounds perfect with the GA TRP in the system. Conversely, I swap the speaker wires for my non-inverting preamps for the best sound, including better attack/leading edge on bass as well as a less recessed soundstage (for what I paid for my ticked/system, I prefer a front-row seat!). This is something easy to try and free vs sorting what else in your system may be bass-shy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
The gain switch is only without volume control, sorry! IMO, it's not the GA TRP lacking bass, as my system has ample deep bass (down to 22Hz as measured REW software) with incredible dynamics with the el51s installed, to where I occasionally check to see if my dual 18" Rythmik subs that I use for HT were left on.

Have you tried switching polarity at all amp or speaker terminals? From what I can tell the GA TRP inverts polarity. My tube rectified preamp that inverts polarity sounds perfect with the GA TRP in the system. Conversely, I swap the speaker wires for my non-inverting preamps for the best sound, including better attack/leading edge on bass as well as a less recessed soundstage (for what I paid for my ticked/system, I prefer a front-row seat!). This is something easy to try and free vs sorting what else in your system may be bass-shy.
Ahh. Maybe it's polarity. I will check. My preamp (NAT Magnetic) inverts so I have swapped positive and negative at the amp. I will try switching them back. Can anyone confirm this?

On another :( note, it appears my Tak rectifier has failed. I think it's only got 2-3k hours but it went dead last night. I have an RK and a Shuguang but I liked the Taki better with the Tesla EL51s. Guess I have to but another one. Anyone have other recommendations for a rectifier I should try with the Fugglys?

edit: WOW, the Tak is $1000 now. Now I'm really :(:mad:

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
Ahh. Maybe it's polarity. I will check. My preamp (NAT Magnetic) inverts so I have swapped positive and negative at the amp. I will try switching them back. Can anyone confirm this?

On another :( note, it appears my Tak rectifier has failed. I think it's only got 2-3k hours but it went dead last night. I have an RK and a Shuguang but I liked the Taki better with the Tesla EL51s. Guess I have to but another one. Anyone have other recommendations for a rectifier I should try with the Fugglys?

Bummer on the Tak!

With the el51s, the adapted USAF 596 is excellent, as is the Shuguang gz480. I prefer these both to the KR's I have or the potato masher.

Reactions: Ed_K

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Bummer on the Tak!

With the el51s, the adapted USAF 596 is excellent, as is the Shuguang gz480. I prefer these both to the KR's I have or the potato masher.
I didn't think the Shuguang was as good but I will keep listening. Fred from Lampi said they preferred that with the el51s. I'll look for a USAF 596 and then I have to find the adapter. Maybe I try that before spending $1000 on a Taki.

Did Taki stop producing these? $1000 sounds expensive for a current production tube.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
...On another :( note, it appears my Tak rectifier has failed. I think it's only got 2-3k hours but it went dead last night. I have an RK and a Shuguang but I liked the Taki better with the Tesla EL51s. Guess I have to but another one. Anyone have other recommendations for a rectifier I should try with the Fugglys?

I had a 596 in the TRP and 1945 RCA JAN CRC 5R4GY in the Supratek preamp, but wasn’t quite satisfied with the tonal balance. Since I swapped their positions the music sings...and me with it. I found the RCA for a good price on eBay, but to at least get a picture of which ones, Brent Jessee’s site has a good write up, under Audiophile Tubes as I recall. The earlier RCA’s did not have the lush warmth of the later versions.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Did Taki stop producing these?
They're still in production but global demand is higher than supply. I have a few on order if you'd like one.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I had a 596 in the TRP and 1945 RCA JAN CRC 5R4GY in the Supratek preamp, but wasn’t quite satisfied with the tonal balance. Since I swapped their positions the music sings...and me with it. I found the RCA for a good price on eBay, but to at least get a picture of which ones, Brent Jessee’s site has a good write up, under Audiophile Tubes as I recall. The earlier RCA’s did not have the lush warmth of the later versions.
Thank you. How far back do I have to go on the RCA? I see a couple from early 50's. Would those be OK or do I need to go back further than that?

BTW, has anyone ever tested a WE 274B in the TRP? I don't think I want to spend that much but I was curious if that tube would be the holy grail in the Lampi.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thank you. Have far back do I have to go on the RCA? I see a couple from early 50's. Would those be OK or do I need to go back further than that?

BTW, has anyone ever tested a WE 274B in the TRP? I don't think I want to spend that much but I was curious if that tube would be the holy grail in the Lampi.

Brent Jessee seems to say WWII production, but I can’t speak from experience about later military ones. The later ones on eBay are cheap enough right now to consider a try. Give Brent a call or email. Also, you might ask Andy at Vintage Tube Services, although he seems more in love with the 5U4G, which I find romantic, too sweet.

I found the PSVane WE274B replica a little too warm and transparency mediocre. Subsequent listenings haven’t changed that opinion. It was a place for a tube novice to start, following someone’s recommendation, but it’s not in the same class as some of the others discussed here.

Reactions: leftside

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Brent Jessee seems to say WWII production, but I can’t speak from experience about later military ones. The later ones on eBay are cheap enough right now to consider a try. Give Brent a call or email. Also, you might ask Andy at Vintage Tube Services, although he seems more in love with the 5U4G, which I find romantic, too sweet.

I found the PSVane WE274B replica a little too warm and transparency mediocre. Subsequent listenings haven’t changed that opinion. It was a place for a tube novice to start, following someone’s recommendation, but it’s not in the same class as some of the others discussed here.
Thanks. In terms of the WE, I was talking about a original WE tube. They are very expensive however.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing