LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
if you are not playing complex classical with higher dynamic range and more information, the two will sound more similar than not.
Sounds like I need to arrange another demo of either the GG or Pacific though I'm not sure whether Greg has any available at the moment. Will find out shortly.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Sounds like I need to arrange another demo of either the GG or Pacific though I'm not sure whether Greg has any available at the moment. Will find out shortly.

Not sure who Greg is, but Golum has a GG2 VC for sale in the Classifieds here. And it can be sent through Poland for the upgrade.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Not sure who Greg is, but Golum has a GG2 VC for sale in the Classifieds here. And it can be sent through Poland for the upgrade.
Thanks Gene. Indeed I have it, and as you rightly mentioned, I would always send it first to Lampi guys for a check up before going to the new owner.

Reactions: leftside

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
More than twenty years into the audio hobby, and with recent motivations to pursue the higher end of hifi, I finally am the proud owner of my first Lampizator. Big thanks to @highstream for opening this first door for me.... esp since it got the Engine 11 upgrade just in time :p

Looking forward to years of joys as part of this family. To all your good health in 2023!

IMG_0696.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 26

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
More than twenty years into the audio hobby, and with recent motivations to pursue the higher end of hifi, I finally am the proud owner of my first Lampizator. Big thanks to @highstream for opening this first door for me.... esp since it got the Engine 11 upgrade just in time :p

Looking forward to years of joys as part of this family. To all your good health in 2023!

View attachment 102701
Welcome to the Lampi family! What took you so long? LOL

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
The thread has quieted down since the Atlantic is “old’ news” now. I’m wondering what tube complement everyone has settled on and what after-market footers, if any, people are using. I’m currently using F2a’s and a Sophia Aqua 274 with Nordost brass sort cones. This rests on a butcher block platform with Voodoo footers underneath on top of a suspended wooden shelf.

Reactions: Beckola66

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
The thread has quieted down since the Atlantic is “old’ news” now. I’m wondering what tube complement everyone has settled on and what after-market footers, if any, people are using. I’m currently using F2a’s and a Sophia Aqua 274 with Nordost brass sort cones. This rests on a butcher block platform with Voodoo footers underneath on top of a suspended wooden shelf.
It depends if I'm listening with speakers or headphones. If I want something warmer I'll go with Philips EL50/4654, 4689 or EL3N. Something brighter I'll go with Telefunken EL11. Something more as an "all rounder" GEC KT66 or early Philips EL34. Other tubes I really like with this DAC are GEC KT88, Mullard EL35 mesh plate, Mullard EL37, Philips EL51 and Visseaux 6M6G.

There are so many different tubes you can use with this DAC that you can drive yourself crazy :)

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
I'm enjoying mine with F2a drivers and an old stock rectifier I can't recall the name of currently. Wonderful machine!

Beckola66

Feb 9, 2023
I’ve had my TRP now so I’m still enjoying the ride and what different valves bring to the sound. Currently loving PSVane EL34 or 6CA7 with either an ACME 274B or Western Electric replica 274B. DAC is on top of 3 HRS Nimbus footers, under that is an Isotek platform on top of a floating plinth as part of my Alpin Line rack. I am actively looking for Siemens F2A’s as I type this

Reactions: Bbock and Golum

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I've had my Atlantic 3 TRP for a couple weeks and I believe it - and the new tubes and rectifier, as well as the original rectifier - are all broken in. I know it's not a Golden Atlantic, but I don't see a better thread to write this.

I wish I had more friends who care about this stuff, because I just want to share that I am *floored* by its performance. Everything I've played - including limited 16/44.1 files - just sounds so natural. Detailed, yet relaxed, with body whether it's a voice or an instrument. I'm constantly wowed and the soundstage seems to have doubled (not an exaggeration) in size and depth vs my prior setup. Some sounds seem to come from 3 or 4 feet outside my speakers.

I'll note that I don't have the volume control and mine is the balanced version, so I'm running a matched quad of Sophia Electric KT-88 signal tubes and, at the moment, a Takatsuki 274B. I'm going to return to the "factory" 5U3C rectifier in a few days to see how it compares with the now broken-in Takatsuki.

I'm not the only new owner whose results vastly exceeded expectations, am I?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
@msimanvi
Welcome to the Lampi Club and WBF. I don't have any local audio friends either but I guarantee you will have all of the friends you want on this site.
Before you know it, you will upgrade to a Pacific and then a Horizon......LOL

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
@msimanvi
Welcome to the Lampi Club and WBF. I don't have any local audio friends either but I guarantee you will have all of the friends you want on this site.
Before you know it, you will upgrade to a Pacific and then a Horizon......LOL
...or keep all of them and have 3 systems for all your Lampi DACs :D

Reactions: Mamon

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I upgraded from Golden Alantic TRP to Golden Alantic TRP 3 Engine 11
I love the display upgrade
Nice!

If it's already broken in, I'm curious what differences you've observed between the prior and current versions.

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I upgraded from Golden Alantic TRP to Golden Alantic TRP 3 Engine 11
I love the display upgrade
Enjoy! How long did it take for the upgrade? I‘m waiting also for a time slot for my TRP 2 upgrade to Engine 11.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
I've had my Atlantic 3 TRP for a couple weeks and I believe it - and the new tubes and rectifier, as well as the original rectifier - are all broken in. I know it's not a Golden Atlantic, but I don't see a better thread to write this.

I wish I had more friends who care about this stuff, because I just want to share that I am *floored* by its performance. Everything I've played - including limited 16/44.1 files - just sounds so natural. Detailed, yet relaxed, with body whether it's a voice or an instrument. I'm constantly wowed and the soundstage seems to have doubled (not an exaggeration) in size and depth vs my prior setup. Some sounds seem to come from 3 or 4 feet outside my speakers.

I'll note that I don't have the volume control and mine is the balanced version, so I'm running a matched quad of Sophia Electric KT-88 signal tubes and, at the moment, a Takatsuki 274B. I'm going to return to the "factory" 5U3C rectifier in a few days to see how it compares with the now broken-in Takatsuki.

I'm not the only new owner whose results vastly exceeded expectations, am I?
Any comments yet on the 5u3c versus the Tak?

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Any comments yet on the 5u3c versus the Tak?
Been busy, but I’m comparing right now, having been listening to the Tak since that earlier post.

I could happily live with either. In my Atlantic 3 TRP (balanced) with Sophia Electric KT-88s, the 5u3c seems to have slightly quicker bass response on the leading edge of a note, similar air, but it slightly leans towards brightness vs the Tak. Acoustic bass is quite impressive with it. Piano sounds perhaps a hair thin, though is “right” in the middle octaves. Male voice could be approaching edgy. Cymbal decay is exemplary. Female voices seem good, perhaps a bit more “present” than with the Tak. I‘d liken it to slightly closer mic placement with the 5u3c.

Putting the Tak back in: smooth, but quite detailed. Better depth, though both are great with the 3D effect.

Both are great. They have different strengths and weaknesses, so I think it comes down to listening to them in your system. That said, if you want to save some money, stick with the 5u3c.

My 5u3c is a black plate version. I placed an order for another, having sought out black plates, and the shipper notified me they only have gray. I had it shipped anyway, so I can understand the differences.

I also have a Sophia Electric 274b on hand that I’ll eventually break in and test, and I’m thinking of trying an Emission Labs 5U4G or 274b. Edit: since I’m in process, just popped in the Sophia (fake) mesh 274b. It‘s brand new, 0 minutes. Sounds quite good initially. I‘ll leave it in and “playing” with the amps off for a couple days of break in, and revisit next weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beckola66 and Bbock

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Been busy, but I’m comparing right now, having been listening to the Tak since that earlier post.

I could happily live with either. In my Atlantic 3 TRP (balanced) with Sophia Electric KT-88s, the 5u3c seems to have slightly quicker bass response on the leading edge of a note, similar air, but it slightly leans towards brightness vs the Tak. Acoustic bass is quite impressive with it. Piano sounds perhaps a hair thin, though is “right” in the middle octaves. Male voice could be approaching edgy. Cymbal decay is exemplary. Female voices seem good, perhaps a bit more “present” than with the Tak. I‘d liken it to slightly closer mic placement with the 5u3c.

Putting the Tak back in: smooth, but quite detailed. Better depth, though both are great with the 3D effect.

Both are great. They have different strengths and weaknesses, so I think it comes down to listening to them in your system. That said, if you want to save some money, stick with the 5u3c.

My 5u3c is a black plate version. I placed an order for another, having sought out black plates, and the shipper notified me they only have gray. I had it shipped anyway, so I can understand the differences.

I also have a Sophia Electric 274b on hand that I’ll eventually break in and test, and I’m thinking of trying an Emission Labs 5U4G or 274b. Edit: since I’m in process, just popped in the Sophia (fake) mesh 274b. It‘s brand new, 0 minutes. Sounds quite good initially. I‘ll leave it in and “playing” with the amps off for a couple days of break in, and revisit next weekend.
Appreciate the comments. I’ve been using the Sophia Aqua 274B for quite a while now and it has been well balanced and airy. I’ve got quite a few rectifiers and decided to relisten to many of them since I’ve changed up some tubes in my preamp. This is a work in progress.

It turns out I just purchased a black plate 5u3c, which is shipping right now, but it’s going to be a few weeks before I get it. Additionally I understand it needs a long break-in time. I’m using different power tubes than you, so I’m looking forward to hearing how it sounds in my system.

Reactions: Beckola66

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing