Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

@Blake Are you mixing ef802/c3g i.e.,. using a pair in each middle positions simultaneously to "get the best of both"? I tried with my Pacific2 but was disappointed and returned to just pairs of c3g.
No mixing for me, I've just been bouncing back and forth between ef803 and C3g.

My Pac is single-ended, so, mixing is not an option.

Last edited:
So, the minis are quite good. However, Telefunken EF802 and Telefunken C3g are, for me, a definite jump up in performance. If I hadn't heard EF802 and C3g, I could see minis being a great option. But, this is just my ears/system/preferences.

The minis are worth checking out, as they are definitely better than stock and a number of other options I've tried.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking to buy a 6 month old Horizon PM me. Had a deal in place, deal fell apart. Don't want to have to send it back to Poland for retrofitting of XDMI, want to purchase a new one...

Reactions: Blake
No mixing for me, I've just been bouncing back and forth between ef803 and C3g.

My Pac is single-ended, so, mixing is not an option.
The two middle positions each can have different paired TP adapted sets i.e., Laszlo suggested others had done this and I wanted to try as the c3g sounded a bit loose at the very bottom frequencies and reportedly the ef802 was more analytical/lean so I oredered a TP adaptor for the ef802 pair and replaced only the front position leaving the rear position in c3gs (this can not be done on Horizon). After 400+ hours of burn-in, IMO, the music leaned toward 2 diminsional and missed harmonics of using all c3gs. On WBF most prefer the ef802 so this lead me to question my results. If interested try this but more so I would like to know your preference of ef802 vs c3g.
Thanks.

On WBF most prefer the ef802 so this lead me to question my results. If interested try this but more so I would like to know your preference of ef802 vs c3g.
Thanks.

I'd personally rank EF802 higher than Telefunken C3g in my system. But, I'll be keeping both.

For another reference of my personal preferences, Siemens C3g is several notches below Telefunken C3g... for me. Others may hear it differently. ;)

Im keeping both too. I like the 802 slightly better as well! They are really opening up my system

A 2C22 triode - 6.3V/0.3A. That should be interesting. Are you using 4 of them in your Pacific?
What are the dynamics like?
My Pacific is single ended, so just using a pair. The National Union 2C22 is kicking ass so far. With the TP adapter, I'm preferring it to the Ken Rad 2C22 - the opposite of pre-TP.

Finally got my PAC upgraded to PAC2 and special thanks to Blake and Laszlo who introduced the combo: PT35 plus submini and RGN2004, just got the TP bundle which looks so cool with the gold top on the PAC2

These bundle sounds very open, extremely quiet without any noise and neutral even without any burn in, assume it will be stable and better after 300 hours, it’s very analog like and fix the weakest link of my PAC with RK242 plus GZ480 which sounds too clinical, I changed to Sophia 274b princess mesh plate which gives more favor and it works very well before one of the 242 died, however, this new combo further uplifted the sound immediately, very happy with current setup and sit down to enjoy my playlist

@ Blake Want to get your idea about heater setting, tried both px4 and 45 and sounds like px4 sounds a bit warmer, moody with more low end and more in your face, while 45 setting further open up the sound with a wider stage, more separation but less engaging, want to get your ideas about both setting too :)

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpeg
    IMG_0872.jpeg
    620.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Love
Reactions: Blake and christoph
Finally got my PAC upgraded to PAC2 and special thanks to Blake and Laszlo who introduced the combo: PT35 plus submini and RGN2004, just got the TP bundle which looks so cool with the gold top on the PAC2
..l
@ Blake Want to get your idea about heater setting, tried both px4 and 45 and sounds like px4 sounds a bit warmer, moody with more low end and more in your face, while 45 setting further open up the sound with a wider stage, more separation but less engaging, want to get your ideas about both setting too :)

I’m dealing with a GG 2/3 with the E11-P upgrade and PT-14s (and RGN2004),but doesn’t heater setting affect tube wear?

Congrats, your DAC looks amazing with all those great tubes and TP adapters!

When you finally arrive at a sound quality that blends/matches your gear and preferences... it's transcendental! You get such a feeling of accomplishment/euphoria. From your description, you've arrived at your sonic destination.

Laszlo says PT35 can use the 45 or 242 heater settings, and I haven't experimented with the heater setting, but based on your comments, I'll give both heater settings a try with my PT35 and see what happens.

Edit: Also, so there is no confusion... PT14 uses PX4 heater setting, so, if you change to PT35, make sure you adjust heater to 45 or 242 setting.

Last edited:
If anyone would like to try/demo the subminiature tubes and TP adapter, let me know and I'll be happy to ship your way. The only caveat is, I'd like to keep this to only WBF members.

It really is a great tube.

@Bobofei86 .... how do you like your Center Stage footers? Have you compared to other aftermarket footers?

Tried a few alternatives and it's quite fit for the Pacific, i always prefer more musical and engagement instead of hi resolution and clinical, i have some footers which offer more details than CS2M but its not as engaging as it does

Last edited:
If anyone would like to try/demo the subminiature tubes and TP adapter, let me know and I'll be happy to ship your way. The only caveat is, I'd like to keep this to only WBF members.

It really is a great tube.
I just changed it back to the original 6n6p to test the difference,

The subminis made a very positive impact especially generated much more micro details, sounds “Live” with better harmonics and resonance, tried Ryan Adam Live at Carnegie Hall and I can hear lots of tiny details from his voice and the guitar, really good upgrade and I can’t imagine how much better Telefunken EF802 or CG3 can further uplift the sound

Heard from Laszlo it offers the best price performance but always tempting by the best out there…

Last edited:
Reactions: Blake
I've got a problem with my GG 2/3 that was recently upgraded to the 11-P engine (Poseidon) and want to ask for advice. Before the upgrade, with the E-11 version, the PT-14/Telefunken RGN2004 black mesh combo w/ TP adapters was very good and had a nice light touch of warmth. With the Poseidon, which in every other respect is great, that touch or warmth is gone, whether with the OEM fuse or a QSA red-black.* That seems to call for, unfortunately, another tube change. As has been discussed here and elsewhere, the PT-14/RGN2004 combo is very special. But I've got to be involved, i.e., engaged by the music, not just the sound. I haven't gone back to the WE300B, which are warm, but in other ways were far surpassed by the PT-14's. So I'm looking for ideas. Thanks,

* I discovered upon the 11-P''s return that I had put the QSA fuse in the spare fuse spot in the fuse holder, which apparently means that I had been using the OEM fuse all along. Embarrassing.

I've got a problem with my GG 2/3 that was recently upgraded to the 11-P engine (Poseidon) and want to ask for advice. Before the upgrade, with the E-11 version, the PT-14/Telefunken RGN2004 black mesh combo w/ TP adapters was very good and had a nice light touch of warmth. With the Poseidon, which in every other respect is great, that touch or warmth is gone, whether with the OEM fuse or a QSA red-black.* That seems to call for, unfortunately, another tube change. As has been discussed here and elsewhere, the PT-14/RGN2004 combo is very special. But I've got to be involved, i.e., engaged by the music, not just the sound. I haven't gone back to the WE300B, which are warm, but in other ways were far surpassed by the PT-14's. So I'm looking for ideas. Thanks,

* I discovered upon the 11-P''s return that I had put the QSA fuse in the spare fuse spot in the fuse holder, which apparently means that I had been using the OEM fuse all along. Embarrassing.
Histream
Did you find the change from e11 to e11p to be a significant change? I have the GG2 with the 53 engine and want to upgrade but looking for the best value. Right now I'm considering the 11 with some TP adapters and tubes. Any advice?
And thanks.

Yes, the upgrade to 11-P + shipping is $$$, but it offers a very substantial improvement in all respects but the one most important to me. Lukasz had said warm, but presumably that’s with the supplied tubes, not my combo.

I can't recall.... Did you try the Fivre 5Z3?

• Wow
Reactions: Bobofei86
Both very good rectis... It's been a little while since I owned RGN2004 mesh, so my memory of that tube sonics is fading a bit ;)

I'd just say, comparatively, that 5Z3 to me, had more emphasis on a more rounded, fuller sound, with really strong tonal qualities. Ultimately, I preferred 2004 mesh, but I can easily see someone preferring one over the other depending on music, personal preferences, and, most importantly, matching with the rest of the gear in the system.

Reactions: Bobofei86

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing