Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I've ordered an RK60 and Brimar 5Z4GY. Anyone tried either of these tubes? Also is anyone using the U52 to good effect, and what have you compared it to?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I’ve had that exact Brimar and i loved that recti. Compared it with a quite extensive stash of rectifiers i have and it just delivers. Maybe not the top notch one, but for the price it’s the bingo one. And btw i said had it as i gifted it to a friend who got himself a TRP and he is super happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Yeah, the Brimar appears to be a steal at $35. How do you feel it compares to the 596?

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Btw, I'm putting my Tak recti up for sale as I'm looking to find a recti at a lower price point to satisfy my needs. Please PM me if interested.

Reactions: bonzo75

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yeah, the Brimar appears to be a steal at $35. How do you feel it compares to the 596?
I don't want to BS, no idea, as they missed themselves ie Brimar already departed when 596 landed. But get yourself one for try out, you won't be disappointed if you don't expect miracles (those are reserved for those big guns):p

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Well, if either of them betters the 596, which is my favorite so far, then I'll be happy especially since they are considerably cheaper.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Reading a bit of this thread, I’m curious about the GG 2’s sound. I understand it’s voiced close to neutral, vs. the GG 1. If someone preferred a warm sound, tho not syrupy, what tubes would they gravitate toward with the 2?

Btw, about what does the GG weigh? I saw a review of GG 1 that seemed to say it was very heavy, too heavy for one person, which seemed odd, but I can’t find weight specs (and even WxHxD are hard to find, though I did eventually). Thanks,

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reading a bit of this thread, I’m curious about the GG 2’s sound. I understand it’s voiced close to neutral, vs. the GG 1. If someone preferred a warm sound, tho not syrupy, what tubes would they gravitate toward with the 2?

Btw, about what does the GG weigh? I saw a review of GG 1 that seemed to say it was very heavy, too heavy for one person, which seemed odd, but I can’t find weight specs (and even WxHxD are hard to find, though I did eventually). Thanks,

It's not about warm or neutral. 242 are as neutral as you can get. Some other tubes are warmer. That is for both GG1 and GG2. R2R, chip, caps, will all make a difference rather than.1 vs 2

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I’m not sure reviewers or even Lukasz would entirely agree with you. But leaving that aside, let me pose it a different way. If one picked up a GG 1 that had 242’s and a 5U4G and wanted warm, they could change tubes, presumably, as I read this thread. But if deciding whether to go to a GG2, what should they be looking for or considering?

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
So, I may be crazy, but I think I have discovered the KR 242 rectifier equivalent. So I dug into my tube box where all tubes go to die. Well so I thought. I have a Marconi U50 tube that I never thought would be compatible in the Lampi GG. I studied up on it and discovered it's the equivalent of a 5Y3, which the Lampi nomenclature says is compatible as a rectifier, so I dusted it off and threw it in.

Holy schmokees. I had been missing aspects of my KR 242 since I got the RK PX25. That insane drive and note completion. Well the PX25 does about 85% of those things but is more mellow, has better bass (IMO), better decay and soundstage. The 242 also would distort on many songs. So, long story short, the 242s have been retired. Well, this tiny little bugger of a rectifier is a 242 in looks and in performance without the gain issues and overdriving of amps.

It bests the 596 in all aspects in my book. It's quieter, which I can't believe, more transparent, separates and soundstages better. It's as forward in the highs as the 596 so one would have to cater to that elsewhere in their chain. Images are bigger as well - imagine a PX25 / 242 orgy and the spoils that come of that. With this tube, your music can't hide from you, it resolves everything. And the bass is ridiculously tuneful.

The best thing about this is it's very affordable. This is the exact tube for sale, so someone better snatch it up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183812241945

I already purchased a National Union and GEC version on eBay for an average of $40 each right now, just to try them out and see if they are sonically different, and also to have spares. Note that this tube I am speaking of is different from what may typically come up when you search for a U50/5Y3 on eBay. this one is smaller than the usual suspects and has different plate, mica, and other internal structures.

Guys, there are multiple Osram versions on eBay for less than $100, you need to give this tube a try.

I am now super stoked to compare this to the U52 that is enroute to me. When I used both tubes in a DNA Stratus, I preferred the U52, so we shall see how it plays out now.

Fingers crossed someone from Lampizator doesn't show up and tell us this tube isn't compatible with the GG.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I’m not sure reviewers or even Lukasz would entirely agree with you. But leaving that aside, let me pose it a different way. If one picked up a GG 1 that had 242’s and a 5U4G and wanted warm, they could change tubes, presumably, as I read this thread. But if deciding whether to go to a GG2, what should they be looking for or considering?

You need to find the matching tubes for your System and taste IN YOUR System.
Are you trying to decide between GG1 and GG2?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
So, I may be crazy, but I think I have discovered the KR 242 rectifier equivalent. So I dug into my tube box where all tubes go to die. Well so I thought. I have a Marconi U50 tube that I never thought would be compatible in the Lampi GG. I studied up on it and discovered it's the equivalent of a 5Y3, which the Lampi nomenclature says is compatible as a rectifier, so I dusted it off and threw it in.

Holy schmokees. I had been missing aspects of my KR 242 since I got the RK PX25. That insane drive and note completion. Well the PX25 does about 85% of those things but is more mellow, has better bass (IMO), better decay and soundstage. The 242 also would distort on many songs. So, long story short, the 242s have been retired. Well, this tiny little bugger of a rectifier is a 242 in looks and in performance without the gain issues and overdriving of amps.

It bests the 596 in all aspects in my book. It's quieter, which I can't believe, more transparent, separates and soundstages better. It's as forward in the highs as the 596 so one would have to cater to that elsewhere in their chain. Images are bigger as well - imagine a PX25 / 242 orgy and the spoils that come of that. With this tube, your music can't hide from you, it resolves everything. And the bass is ridiculously tuneful.

The best thing about this is it's very affordable. This is the exact tube for sale, so someone better snatch it up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183812241945

I already purchased a National Union and GEC version on eBay for an average of $40 each right now, just to try them out and see if they are sonically different, and also to have spares. Note that this tube I am speaking of is different from what may typically come up when you search for a U50/5Y3 on eBay. this one is smaller than the usual suspects and has different plate, mica, and other internal structures.

Guys, there are multiple Osram versions on eBay for less than $100, you need to give this tube a try.

I am now super stoked to compare this to the U52 that is enroute to me. When I used both tubes in a DNA Stratus, I preferred the U52, so we shall see how it plays out now.

Fingers crossed someone from Lampizator doesn't show up and tell us this tube isn't compatible with the GG.
Thank you very much for finding and sharing info and your enthusiasm about this recti :cool:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I did

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Somebody already did :D (but not me)...let the rat race begin across Ebay and similar with new best recti contender :D:D
I'm excited because it opens up so many ignored U50/5Y3 options, which are way more affordable (well until the eBay sellers start to notice this thread). Plus, I've been sitting on this tube for years without using it.

I'm bent on exploring all these rectifier tubes and giving each of them a fair shot regardless of price. I got a Raytheon RK60 yesterday and I'm waiting for an adapter for it from China. For all I know, I'll prefer it to the U50, but I'm just happy to still have my 242 sound.

Here is another listing with two for the price of $100 for Osram labeled versions:

https://www.ebay.com/i/223659894624?_trksid=p11401.c100711.m5036&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20170110121435&meid=9b6c1f5b10f3432198e871230d8f79ed&pid=100711&rk=1&rkt=4&b=1&sd=283448599871&itm=223659894624&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=11401&ul_noapp=true

It appears the more expensive versions are bigger and have a round mica, and perhaps more differences internally. They also seem to be military versions such as this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U50-tube-P...a=0&pg=2385738&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

I'm noticing a consistency in the smaller square mica version I have selling for less on eBay versus the bigger one. I'm tempted to try them to see how different they sound.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks for the posts and info @adamaley ! I'm really wondering what will be your verdict about cheapish Brimar vs the really nice stash you have.
And yes - I also have a feeling that if some tube type pops up here as an interesting one, price starts to increase quite a lot (like for GEC KT66)...

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
You need to find the matching tubes for your System and taste IN YOUR System.
Are you trying to decide between GG1 and GG2?

The answer to your question needs some explanation. I’m in the process of burning in an Atlantic TRP with volume control. Among the things I’ve noticed so far of concern are that the provided Siemens-Svetlana combo are very much on the cool side, which I don’t like — and that with unbalanced output — faux XLR to active ATC speakers that take XLR — the dac output seems to be insufficient at lower volume levels and straining (a bit shrill) at somewhat higher levels. It also strains to obtain a light weight, quasi-theater sound with video films and just normal TV sourced or run through an Oppo 203 (with a beefed up power supply). I’d been used to the (modestly warm) balanced output of a DirectStream dac, so I picked up on this quickly.

I purchased this Atlantic used, and before and after sending it for a TRP upgrade, as those on the Atlantic forum and Lukasz and U.S. Rob know, I’d asked about whether or not to add the balanced module for its higher output level, but had been assured by all around that unbalanced would be sufficient to drive the ATC’s and a pair of JL Audio subs (the latter are not currently hooked up).If balanced turns out to be necessary to get where I want, that’s another $400 in shipping, in addition to 1000E. At this point, the jury is still out on both scores until burn in gets to 350-500 hours (currently at about 150, 7 days and I test a couple of other tubes.

In that context, I noticed a balanced GG 1 for sale in a price range that could make financial (and audio) sense vs. going balanced with what I have. Poking around, I read a pro review of the GG2 (Stereophile?) that said the latter had been re-voiced from GG1’s luscious warm to neutral-slightly warm. I don’t know the truth of that, but statement(s) from Lukasz I’d come across seemed consistent with it. So my question here is really just to ask what would I be getting into on that spectrum with a GG/GG2 (if converted); i.e., is it just a matter of finding the right tubes for my tastes? Thanks,

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks for the posts and info @adamaley ! I'm really wondering what will be your verdict about cheapish Brimar vs the really nice stash you have.
And yes - I also have a feeling that if some tube type pops up here as an interesting one, price starts to increase quite a lot (like for GEC KT66)...

It'll be an interesting comparison. In the Dubstepgirl Rectifier thread on Headfi, what I gathered is that more often than not the RK60 was preferred over the 596, and the Brimar was preferred over both. I admit that performance in the GG DAC may not mirror a rectifier's performance in headphone amps. For example, the Marconi U50 wasn't my cup of tea in the DNA Stratus headphone amp.

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: Soundcatcher

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing