Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
BTW I sold my Taylor and United Electronics 211s as I was never able to build quads so it's a bit of a shame I never got to test them.

I actually have 5 RCA and 7 Amperex. One RCA was at 50%, and one Amperex was known dead anyway. All risk eBay buys but considering they came from different batches, levels of usage and years the consistency is not far short of brilliant.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Justin, 211 can not be used in any Lampi DAC, why do you post all that in this thread?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin, 211 can not be used in any Lampi DAC, why do you post all that in this thread?

The point is really about valve manufacturers ability to meet a specification. I would have thought it reasonably obvious but maybe not.

So I would bank on RCA, GE and Amperex as likely to be good based on what I have seen both in 211s and some other valves I have. Provided they are NOS or close too.

Translate that into rectis and other valve types that will go in a Lampi.

Plus the thread title doesn't restrict itself to DACs. You can by a Lampi 211 amp. Though I think he sells a lot less of those than DACs.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The point is really about valve manufacturers ability to meet a specification. I would have thought it reasonably obvious but maybe not.

So I would bank on RCA, GE and Amperex as likely to be good based on what I have seen both in 211s and some other valves I have. Provided they are NOS or close too.

Translate that into rectis and other valve types that will go in a Lampi.

Plus the thread title doesn't restrict itself to DACs. You can by a Lampi 211 amp. Though I think he sells a lot less of those than DACs.

You are right.
Sorry for my snippy posting above.

Reactions: Zero000

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
What is the sound character of the PX25 and KR242 when placed on a GG2 dac assuming rectifier is a constant KR5u4 or KR5AR ?
Is this the Yin and Yang of tubes ? Totally opposite sounding ?

Thanks!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
What is the sound character of the PX25 and KR242 when placed on a GG2 dac assuming rectifier is a constant KR5u4 or KR5AR ?
Is this the Yin and Yang of tubes ? Totally opposite sounding ?

Thanks!
They are not on the opposite side of spectrum...but you have all details among first few pages of this thread;)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The strange case of the recovering Teslas?

OK so 4 of the AD1 I have have identical internal construction. But two have a differing top part. See the pic and refer to the earlier shot of a valve in my tester.

Date code NH.

First measurement after 15 minutes in the tester: 3.2ma/V.

After 2 hours in the Lampi: 4 ma/V

After 6 hours in the Lampi: 4.5ma/V

Date code NF.

First measurement after 15 minutes in the tester: 4.4 ma/V.

After 2 hours in the Lampi: 5 ma/V

After 6 hours in the Lampi: 5.4 ma/V

Note as a pair in the DAC they still sound better than anything I have come across.

If they get stronger again I will post.

Another pair both measure 6.9 ma/V which is 0.9 ma/V over spec. The original pair 6.2 and 6.4.

Curious.

IMG_20200105_135525.jpg

Reactions: Golum and ingemar

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
BTW my EML AD1 measure 4.5 and 5 ma/V. That:s on a fairly new pair definitely less than 150 hours.

If I owned a Pacific, I would definitely try and buy a pair of either these or risk money on Telefunken AD1 or EB III.

Telefunken EB III - I know this guy will take $1800 because I made an offer;)

Since I can't vouch for sound of the Telefunkens don't blame me if they suck. But I just know if I owned Pacific I would buy them.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Has anyone listened to the PX25 or KR242 through a Pacific with the Pacific Volume Control (no external pre amp)?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Did Kedar take those AD1s for a spin?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Has anyone listened to the PX25 or KR242 through a Pacific with the Pacific Volume Control (no external pre amp)?
Yes.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I don't know if I missed mention or discussion of it in this thread... Could you direct me to it? Thanks

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: bonzo75

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Well, it looks like 2020 will be a good year. Acme 300B + Acme 274B sounds glorious, and at first listen I prefer it to PX25s. Ordered my own pair to be able to compare it to the Elrog 300Bs in my amp while still using Acme 300Bs (borrowed from a friend) in the DAC. New pair (in amps) needs burning in, but just the addition in the DAC has rendered the music the best I've had in my system thus far.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks for the info @adamaley.
As you have a huge stash of rectifiers could you pls advice on two in particular - WE 422A and Marconi U52? Which one you prefer from those two and why?
Thanks in advance!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Acme 300B + Acme 274B sounds glorious, and at first listen I prefer it to PX25s.

Congrats on your new dream Combo :cool:

Can you elaborate on the difference between the ACME 300b and the PX25?
Is your PX25 the regular or the RK Version?

Have you ever tried the Takatsuki 274b and Takatsuki 300b as well?

Reactions: Golum

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I still haven't received them.

I haven't sent them because I thought you wanted to visit and pick them up but since that didn't happen over Xmas then I can send them.

TBH if you are going to visit then wait til I am in the new place.

The chap who is going to fix my Lampi can't do it for a while since he is in holiday. I will see if he can see an opportunity for any further upgrades but it is full of expensive foo already so I doubt there's much scope.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks for the info @adamaley.
As you have a huge stash of rectifiers could you pls advice on two in particular - WE 422A and Marconi U52? Which one you prefer from those two and why?
Thanks in advance!

My two favorite rectifiers would be the 422A and the Acme 274B, with the Marconi U52 a level slightly below those two. The 422A is immensely holographic and revealing, but in my setup it is too much of a good thing. It also doesn't have the soundstaging, image size, separation of the Acme 274B. The Acme 274B to me, is similar to the Tak 274B in terms of the size of the images, separation of instruments and soundstage width and depth. In my system, it just seems to have more of the aforementioned traits and resolves more information than the Tak did and .

The Marconi U52 is similar in tonality to the Acme 274B. Just as warm and maybe not as relaxed - more dynamic. It doesn't have the scale of soundstage or images as the 274B. It also doesn't seem to reveal as much inner detail as the other two.

Between these three, in my system, preference and system matching could take you either way. The Marconi doesn't offer enough different things from the Acme to be considered as viable as the 422A, which brings a different sound and can suit a different mood.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing