Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Post 571 was uncalled for

Do you not think that your opinion of the sound of these tubes is "right?"

It was meant as humor but if it was offensive I apologize.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
TAD is decent stuff. The branded tubes like KR is what you get from anywhere.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: fbs

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. In your opinion, what are the best 845 and 5U4G they can supply?

For 845, Those having viva and Nagra reported the stock tubes worked best and rolling did not help as the amps were that way voiced. KR 845 IIRC is a different spec

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks. In your opinion, what are the best 845 and 5U4G they can supply?
Just looked at their stock and pls bare in mind I don't have any personal experience with 845 but knowing from several trusted people on the performance of ACME 211 I would try out my luck with ACME 845. Recti wise from their stock I don't see anything special. Again if you can use 274b go with ACME (no brainer)..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just looked at their stock and pls bare in mind I don't have any personal experience with 845 but knowing from several trusted people on the performance of ACME 211 I would try out my luck with ACME 845. Recti wise from their stock I don't see anything special. Again if you can use 274b go with ACME (no brainer)..

The KR 211 was better than the new acme 211, and RCA, GE, are both better than KR, and Amperex much better than those. Haven't heard United which is supposed to be with the Amperex

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Ked and I did the KR 211 comparison, but not in my system. They were my GE, RCA and Amperex 211s.

In my system, Amperex are easily the best, as they were in the system Ked and I tried them in.

Just to back it up;)

TKK

Jan 11, 2020
It will be my first post in whatsbestforum.

I have been reading all the posts according to Lampi DAC since I got my GG2. You guys truly helped me a lot on picking dacs and tubes, but I often got very confused with what Bonzo said about GG/Pacific and TAK tubes because it is opposite to what people I know told me. So I would like to share some of my experience about tubes and about incoming Pacific in the future (It will arrive sometime next week if there is no surprise).

I have been using the RK version of PX25 with KR 5U4G and they sound amazing as many have described in this thread. After a while I got a little bored (not negatively), and want to seek for more fun about tubes. I was considering about Elrog, Tak, and newly reproduced WE-300b. Many of my friends recommended Tak saying that it is the finest tubes in the world in current production, they look amazing and sound amazing too. However, I was very much concerned due to what Bonzo said. In the end, I was about to go for Elrog, but Lukasz, at this point, actually recommended me to have a try with Tak. So, I ordered a matched quad TA-300B and one TA-274B and they arrived 5 days ago.

The build quality of Tak is just flawless, way better than my old tubes including PX25 RK. The sound of Tak, to me, is much clean (in background) and detailed compared to PX25 RK. The imaging of Tak is more stable and accurate than RK's. More importantly, I feel that Tak's texture and transparency are indeed better than RK's. However, RK is better in terms of dynamic and bass. And also, RK sounds more relaxing and juicy (tubing) than Tak.

I have to say, if we are ONLY talking about sound quality, Tak is the winner (overall) in my system. PX25 RK is still fun to listen tho, I won't sell them because of having Tak. I would agree with Bonzo about Tak is more likely to push forward the midrange but I would disagree that Tak is "boring". Indeed, Tak has less characters or color than PX25 RK does, but it is more likely to present the real characters of the records. I wouldn't call it "boring".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So if you agree it pushes forwards the midrange, for me that it is a boring thing. It sounds like Tak no matter what recording you play. I am listening to Tak more than the music.

Anyway, the second point is, if you get KR PX25, 242 and Lampi 45s, and incite a couple of friends over with different preamps, or drive over to theirs with your Lampi and tubes, you can roll and see that each one has different characters that will show differently in different systems.

Ps: I don't like elrog in Lampi either, except in amps I prefer it to Tak

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
It will be my first post in whatsbestforum.

I have been reading all the posts according to Lampi DAC since I got my GG2. You guys truly helped me a lot on picking dacs and tubes, but I often got very confused with what Bonzo said about GG/Pacific and TAK tubes because it is opposite to what people I know told me. So I would like to share some of my experience about tubes and about incoming Pacific in the future (It will arrive sometime next week if there is no surprise).

I have been using the RK version of PX25 with KR 5U4G and they sound amazing as many have described in this thread. After a while I got a little bored (not negatively), and want to seek for more fun about tubes. I was considering about Elrog, Tak, and newly reproduced WE-300b. Many of my friends recommended Tak saying that it is the finest tubes in the world in current production, they look amazing and sound amazing too. However, I was very much concerned due to what Bonzo said. In the end, I was about to go for Elrog, but Lukasz, at this point, actually recommended me to have a try with Tak. So, I ordered a matched quad TA-300B and one TA-274B and they arrived 5 days ago.

The build quality of Tak is just flawless, way better than my old tubes including PX25 RK. The sound of Tak, to me, is much clean (in background) and detailed compared to PX25 RK. The imaging of Tak is more stable and accurate than RK's. More importantly, I feel that Tak's texture and transparency are indeed better than RK's. However, RK is better in terms of dynamic and bass. And also, RK sounds more relaxing and juicy (tubing) than Tak.

I have to say, if we are ONLY talking about sound quality, Tak is the winner (overall) in my system. PX25 RK is still fun to listen tho, I won't sell them because of having Tak. I would agree with Bonzo about Tak is more likely to push forward the midrange but I would disagree that Tak is "boring". Indeed, Tak has less characters or color than PX25 RK does, but it is more likely to present the real characters of the records. I wouldn't call it "boring".
You dont separate the recti impact from the 300b vs px25 output tubes.

TKK

Jan 11, 2020
You dont separate the recti impact from the 300b vs px25 output tubes.
No, you are right, I didn't. I spent a lot of time just comparing the whole set of Tak vs the set of RK for these days. Just to mention, my rect. for PX25 RK is KR 5U4G (not the RK version). But your point reminds me to have a try with PX25RK+TA-274B. It might work as a better combo.

TKK

Jan 11, 2020
So if you agree it pushes forwards the midrange, for me that it is a boring thing. It sounds like Tak no matter what recording you play. I am listening to Tak more than the music.

Anyway, the second point is, if you get KR PX25, 242 and Lampi 45s, and incite a couple of friends over with different preamps, or drive over to theirs with your Lampi and tubes, you can roll and see that each one has different characters that will show differently in different systems.

Ps: I don't like elrog in Lampi either, except in amps I prefer it to Tak

I guess you just don't like the feeling of midrange gets pushed forward.

You are right, if you can recognize this type of character, you definitely can tell if you are listening to Tak or not.

However, I guess it is just true for every other tubes too. For instance, PX25 RK's characters are much stronger than Tak. The tubing feeling, the extended bass, the overall smoothness, etc. They appear in every records I hear too. Why would I get sick or bored of hearing these characters in my record if they are what I want?

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess you just don't like the feeling of midrange gets pushed forward.

You are right, if you can recognize this type of character, you definitely can tell if you are listening to Tak or not.

However, I guess it is just true for every other tubes too. For instance, PX25 RK's characters are much stronger than Tak. The tubing feeling, the extended bass, the overall smoothness, etc. They appear in every records I hear too. Why would I get sick or bored of hearing these characters in my record if they are what I want?

RK PX25 is different from KR PX25. Anyway that is not my favorite tube either

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I appear to have stopped tube rolling. It has become pointless since getting the Tesla AD1.

Apart from a bit of rolling between the three pairs of AD1 to see if I can hear a difference. The disturbing thing is I think I can hear slight differences. The strongest pair seem to have the tightest bass. However the second strongest pair appear to sound the best overall i.e. the most natural bass. They are the pair that measure to spec, not over spec. I've really tried to eliminate the fact I know this from the compares.

So how the tube measures does affect its sound. I guess that's unsurprising. But if you have older tubes that don't measure so well, you might not be hearing what they were once capable of.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Another point is if you have a GG or BIg 7 without the multi position rotary switch, then given the circuit doesn't know what's in the DAC, I am unsure what effect the circuit has on tubes that measure well below spec. I guess it is possible it is actually beneficial.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing